“I'll be back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Hartford, Connecticut
“I'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed at this property recently as I was in town for a business meeting. I truly enjoyed my visit here. All the staff members were welcoming and accomodating. During my check-in, the gal at the front desk (I think her name was Tanisha) was multi-tasking like crazy as the phone was ringing and guests were asking questions at the desk. However, she made everyone feel valued and important. The room was spacious, bed comfortable, and decor was lovely. This hotel has clearly put effort into a "green initiative" and I appreciated the recycle bins and even the eco-friendly toilet paper. Very nice bath products in the room as well as Wolfgang Puck coffee. The hotel just put a new coffee machine in the lobby that offers complimentary cappucino and other selections. This was a nice touch! The included breakfast was average - on par with similiar hotels. It met my needs.

I had dinner at Primavera within the hotel. The food was excellent and I would recommend it to other guests.

Overall, this was a great choice for my overnight business trip. I have stayed at other local hotels in the past, but this is my new favorite. I will be back for more meetings and plan to stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank elizabethqueen
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Elizabethqueen,

Thank you for posting this terrific review on TripAdvisor and especially for understanding how busy we can get at check in time. I will be sure to reward Tanisha for her abilities and I am thrilled that you noticed our "green initiatives" which we're proud to have executed this year. Our mission to reduce our own carbon foot print is in fact alive & well. We have also just reduced our incandescent lighting output by 40% by changing to LED's in our catering center and are now working on our guestrooms and corridors. Thank you for noticing the extras we believe set us apart from the big box brands that we compete with. Regarding breakfast being average, though acceptable - it's simply not good enough for me and we'll continue to create and add baked fresh items that will stir up the taste buds and create more excitement when starting our day.

Thank you VERY much!

Ed Reagoso - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
West Orange
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

We stayed here one night while visiting friends in the area, and really enjoyed it. The room was quiet, spacious and very comfortable; the staff was friendly and helpful; and the breakfast (included in the room rate) was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Robert W
Dear Robert W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review with TripAdvisor and Easytobook.com. My team and I truly appreciate your kind comments and we gauge our service execution success closely with these ratings. I have taken the liberty to send you a suite upgrade certificate for your next trip in appreciation for your wonderful review and for becoming a true fan!

Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed in the Wilshire Grand for a wedding. The hotel is small but the rooms are huge. The bathroom was elegant with all the amenities. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning was quiet. The large big screen TV was also great. The complimentary breakfast was a surprise with waffles, breakfast sandwiches, bagels, croissants, juices, coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, hot chocolate. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I heard from another guest that there is a gym, but I didn't see it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Saturncmc,

Thank you kindly for your wonderful review and for boasting about our service offerings. I have truly tried to personally offer all the comforts of home to our terrific guests and am always seeking advice and suggestions on what we can do better. It appears we need to better map out where our fitness room is and what we have which includes weights, cardio, large screen HDTV, cold bottled water and fresh towels for our guests. Please let me know when you will be returning so I may give you a personal tour of our fitness and the American Yoga Academy facilities!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

The customer service experience of both Amanda and Diane were extremely uplifting; these ladies treated me very well and understood the value proposition of the hotel. What added to my great experience was the succulent and deliciously favorable food I encountered on a daily and maximal basis. Indeed, Amanda and Diane have gone out of their way to show guests what it means to live the high life.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Jason K,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor! I will be sure to thank our team members personally for helping make your stay a truly memorable visit. When you return please let me know in advance so I may extend my gratitude by offering a suite upgrade on your next trip!

southern US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

First the positives - Room was spacious. We appreciated the fridge and microwave. The desk staff was very helpful and the location was convenient for buses into NYC. Kids would love the giant fish tank with large turtles. The attached restaurant (Primavera) is really excellent. I really liked the little recycling bin in the guest room.

But the hotel was not grand or particularly luxurious. I think it needs a bit of updating. It was not on a par with other Stash hotels we have stayed in in the Northwest. The bedding was very simple, mattress was just OK, sheets were a bit "pilled". I don't expect a lot from a free breakfast, but this used very cheap ingredients and was well below the standards of a Hampton Inn. (For example, Hampton Inn has many choices of tea. Wilshire Grand had only Lipton tea bags.) The coffee was not good. The only hot item the first morning was some kind of sausage rolls wrapped in plastic wrap. The cranberry "juice" tasted like Kool-aid and I had to dump it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Yankeeinexile,

I thank you for your review with TripAdvisor. Being "satisfactory" is simply not good enough for my team and I however. Guests typically rave about our extensive buffet breakfast and rightfully so. We spend much time baking and selecting household name brands that are recognized immediately to achieve the consistency I desire. It appears we missed the mark from your perspective and I would truly appreciate speaking about it with you. We have four coffees available including a Colombian, espresso, cappuccino, decaf cappuccino, and a mocha along with our Lipton Tea. We also have a selection of four healthy flavored waters, all free and available twenty four hours a day to our hotel guests. I suggest the pomegranate! I think you will like this much better. Your tea idea is worthy of consideration and I have decided to test some brands to see what's preferred. Please take a moment and contact me to discuss how I can turn the satisfactory score into a future "Terrific" review. I know we can do better than satisfactory. My direct line is 862-252-8440. Please call me.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Great, grand hotel with lots of character, welcome cookies and lemonade and the rooms
were very spacious and comfortable.
The front desk was very helpful and and was a welcomed surprise.
The best part for my daughter was seeing tow "princesses" brides on their special day.Overall a very nice priceline surprise.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank taxidiataltys
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Taxidiataltys,

Thanks so much for your terrific review! My team and I truly appreciate all reviews and one from a Senior Reviewer like yourself is simply that much sweeter. Thank you for letting us know how we're doing. We too are especially happy anytime we have brides and their families and friends staying with us.

Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

The purpose of this review is to write about Florence, the wonderfully pleasant Breakfast Hostess. After having a couple of minor glitches with the hotel, Florence truly made up for it with her genuine pleasantness and willingness to make sure that our family was well fed. We stayed for 5 nights and were treated to her presence on three mornings. One morning, I had to try on a tux (I was the best man at my best friend's wedding), and missed breakfast, but Florence wouldn't hear of it. She brought bagels and fruit for my wife and two kids and made sure that we were comfortable. In addition, she made some of the best tasting chocolate chip cookies and lemonade that I have ever tasted. I highly recommend meeting Florence from Jamaica when you stay at the WIlshire Grand. Tell her Andy sent you. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Room Tip: My one issue was that we had booked this room about 3 months prior to our stay for 5 nights. The on...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear AG,

Thank you for taking the time to let everyone know of your experience with us. Florence and I are both so happy to see your comments and we want you to know they are very much appreciated! We have been rated # 1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor since February 2008 thanks to friends like you that tell us about your experience. Regarding getting your room on the first floor, we should have been able to get you a higher floor and we were unable to do so. I do apologize! When you come back to the area I will see you are given preferential treatment along with a suite upgrade at no extra cost to you. Simply contact me directly to make this happen and thank you again for your review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
#1 of 5 in Morristown
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!