“Back again and it was perfect just like the last 2 times!”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I just love this place! The front desk staff is great. I have never had a room that wasnt clean, comfortable and quiet. The bathrooms are amazing and the breakfast is delicious! I think its so great to have the beer and wine at night too!
Every time im in the area i stay here and will continue to do so!
Keep up the good work and i wish i had your beds in my house!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4goingawayagain
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear 4Goingawayagain NJ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Coming from a Senior Reviewer such as yourself, this review is quite important to my team and I. I believe you've touched on perhaps the few areas of hotel service one might offer and we scored well by you for each: cleanliness, breakfast, desk service, and our weeknight evening reception. I truly appreciate your loyalty and opinion. Please stop by to see me on the next trip and we'll see about getting one of our perfect beds at your house!

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We were in town for a family funeral and found the hotel suited our needs perfectly - convenient, quiet, and with space for family to gather for dinner and breakfast.
\We highly recommend this hotel to people traveling in the New Jersey and New York area. Very easy to find.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Michael C,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to share your review with our team. We've been rated # 1 in West Orange with TripAdvisor since February 2008 thanks to guests like you that continue to tell us how we're doing.

Ed Reagoso

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I stay at the Wilshire on a regular basis and cannot thank the staff enough for their service. The staff at the Wilshire make you feel welcome and like a member of a family not just a regular hotel guest. I was staying at the Wilshire on my Birthday and was surprised to find a beautiful fruit arragement in my room when I returned in the evening. Spending your Birthday on the road away from family can be difficult, but having a staff so thoughtful made my day. Ed,Bill, Danny, Johnny, Florence, Joseph, and Kuwaku are one of a kind. Great hotel, but even better people.

Denise
Colorado

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Denise C,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I know that you "personally" understand how much our team appreciates this. I will be sure to share this directly with everyone you have named. Know that it was Dan's idea and he was the one that made us aware it was your birthday. I hope we contributed to you having a great birthday in spite of not being home.

Most Sincerely,

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed with a wedding party and found this hotel to be very clean, comfortable and hospitable.
I highly recommend it as one of the best in this area. We attended a wedding at nearby Pleasantdale Chateau and found this location ideal.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank kimpattes
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Kimpattes,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know how performed during your recent stay with us. We've been rated # 1 by TripAdvisor guests since February 2008 thanks to guests like you that keep us aware of how we're doing.

Thank you!

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed 5 September 2013

If you have the misfortune of staying in this part of New Jersey , the Wiltshire is the hotel to stay.

Huge rooms and comfortable bed, quite a nice attached Jersey style Italian restaurant with a decent bar area. Breakfast is fairly standard with a selection of largely unhealthy breakfast fare - I really would like them to consider adding some healthier selections such as more fruit or granola .

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Realtraveller1
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Realtraveller1,

I thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. Respectfully, we love this part of New Jersey...The mountains, the beach, farms, and lakes are all less than an hour away. Manhattan is less than a half hour. What's not to like? This is my fourth time living in New Jersey and truthfully, once you get past the traffic it is terrific, even here in West Orange! :). That being said, I truly do appreciate your comments. All of them! We do feature a fresh fruit salad every day and a combination of cereals as well as other rotating fresh hot & cold menu items. You did however give me a great idea and I thank you! Rather than have a fresh cut fruit mix of the day we will soon create an assortment of fresh cut fruit, served buffet style where guests can pick the fresh cut fruit to their liking rather than having perhaps our melon, strawberries, and blueberries salad (purchased locally whenever possible)! I will also be adding a permanent granola station with fresh toppings to choose from rather than rotating this item.

I trust we'll see you again and when you do please stop by to say hello. Send me a private message with your address if you wish and I will send you a suite upgrade certificate for your next stay for helping me stay in touch with our guests needs and insure our services are what our guests are looking for!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This review is only based on a wedding room block:

I'm someone who loves small businesses. If I have an opportunity to choose between a big company and a mom & pop owned business, I almost always go for the latter. So, when it came time to choose between the Wilshire Grand and Hampton Inn for my wedding room block, I chose this hotel. I loved that they allow pets, have a pet yard, feature a "european" breakfast buffet and flat screen TVs.

I originally worked with Nelsey. She was extremely quick to respond, worked with my requests and took time out of her way to give me a tour of the hotel. Unfortunately, when the time came to book rooms for the hotel, I had to deal with Bill Andrerio since Nelsey was out on maternity leave. Bill has to be one of the most difficult people I've had to work with. He's stubborn, rude, and does nothing to work with any problems that arise. He refused to let my family book rooms at the discounted rate even though it was only hours after the deadline. The hotel also has ridiculous terms for blocking rooms: you need to guarantee a certain number of rooms (you will have to pay for these rooms if you don't meet your quota), you cannot cancel, you need to have at least 20-25 rooms to get a bridal suite free. This upsets me because the Hampton Inn has no guarantee required, you can cancel at anytime and the bridal suite is FREE regardless of how many rooms you book, not to mention their rooms are much cheaper.

I had requested for an early check-in on the day of my wedding. I was told that this will be honored without a problem. The day of my wedding rolls around, and the (rude) front desk clerk tells me that they were sold out the night before and there is no way they can get me a room before 3:00 pm (even a dirty room, at my desperate request). I was forced to call Hampton Inn, who gave me a free room to get ready in.

Overall I am extremely upset with the staff at this hotel. I chose to put my faith in this business even though they were more expensive, and they completely let me down. I do not recommend Bill Andrerio at all. He did nothing but stress me out, which I certainly did not need as a bride. The grounds are gorgeous and the rooms are beautiful, but there's really no point if the staff are rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank disneyjunkie86
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Disneyjunkie86,

I thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted that you returned my call and we had a chance to discuss the matter yesterday. I again apologize for your dissatisfaction and I thank you for memorializing and offering so many compliments about our hotel in spite of your specific service complaint. Your objectivity is commendable! As discussed, we are an eighty-nine room hotel that offers approximately half the sleeping rooms that most other hotels in the area have in spite of our large banquet space. For this reason we do, along with every other hotel in the West Orange area request a guaranteed portion (about half) of what a group wishes to commit to regardless of size. Our cut-off date is three weeks for canceling and group pick up which again is the same as most hotels in the ten mile area. We do typically offer a complimentary suite to weddings with twenty five or more rooms but not always as some might rather have a discounted rate for the party rather than the free suite. I know Bill seemed inflexible with you and we did discuss the matter at great length after you and I spoke. We've agreed to be more flexible based on occupancy levels. In your case however this was a sold out weekend and this is the reason he held steadfast. After further investigation, our reservations department did place notes in your reservation about "checking in at 1 p.m. if possible." Had you physically been here at the desk at 1 p.m. rather than calling I'm confident that we might have been able to do better by you. The fact that you called and asked to get in early made it easier for the desk attendant to tell you that we could not get you in earlier. I don't agree with this, nor does our front office manager and if either of us were aware we would have made it happen. Additionally, the receptionist has been counseled and retrained about this type of matter. Your business is appreciated and I again offer you my most sincere apologies. Know that I have personally taken measures in preventing this from happening in the future by noting "bride" in every future reservation so guaranteed service will be extended. This is a training issue that has been handled and dealt with swiftly and professionally and I thank you for making me aware. Regarding offering a dirty room, we would never allow that. Until a room is cleaned, disinfected, and inspected by our executive housekeeper no one is permitted to give a key to a guest. This is a policy that I myself am firm on as well simply for health and sanitary reasons . As suggested, please call me when you need a weekend of R&R or should you and your husband want to come up for a fine dinner at our restaurant Primavera, It's on me! At the end of the day you have helped me maintain our status of being # 1 In West Orange as rated by TripAdvisor guests since February 2008 and I thank you for that. I don't like less than great reviews but without them my team and I would never have made it to be #1.

Graciously,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were in for a wedding and we had a lot of events taking place at this hotel. We would definitely stay here again if we were in the area. They have a lot of nice amenities. The manager was very helpful and deal with the issues that came up fairly. We had two days where the hot water did not work and the manager was very nice about adjusting our bill. The people at the front desk were friendly but need to be trained a little better. We were told at check in that the breakfasts were from 7:30 - 11am. We were not told those were the hours for the weekend only so we missed breakfast on Monday and Tuesday. I overheard the same woman telling some new guests the same info when they checked in on Wednesday. But it is nice to have the breakfasts available and to have options for drinks during the day. Hot water for tea and coffee available in addition to the coffee maker in the room. They also serve wine and snacks in the afternoon and a popcorn maker during the afternoon as well. These are all extras that are really great to have. The lobby is open and they have a big screen tv and it is very pleasant to sit. Also there is an outside area that is also nice to sit at and enjoy being outside. The rooms are ok. We were upgraded to a suite and that was really nice since we were there for a family wedding and we could all sit and visit in the living room!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Mrsbof3,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I always listen to our guests and I continue to learn how we can do things better. I am delighted to tell you that I have ordered a sign posting our breakfast times that will be placed right in our lobby and that our front office manager is executing reception desk service meetings geared directly to TripAdvisor comments which I believe will be very helpful in our front desk training effort. I have been here for more than six years and other than hurricane outages we have never had hot water problems. Due to power surge brown-out damage last weekend our electronically controlled boiler went down. I'm happy to report we've installed surge suppressors that I'm told will prevent this from happening in the future. I also thank you for memorializing my ability and fairness in dealing with you in respect to the inconvenience of several hours of no hot water. It's much appreciated to have had you post the great "extras" that make us unique as well. Such as our complimentary beverage station with tea, coffee, healthy waters, popcorn, and our afternoon reception which is offered Monday through Thursday from 5 to 7 p.m. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next trip so I may upgrade you to a suite once again for becoming a fan of The Wilshire Grand Hotel. We will move that good rating to a GREAT!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
#2 of 5 in Morristown
The Kenilworth Hotel
The Kenilworth Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kenilworth

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!