“They never cease to please!”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
NJ
“They never cease to please!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I know i have written reviews about this hotel before but i am always amazed by their consistency and quality.
The check in process was easy and fast. The young lady told me she was "new" and apologized for "slow" which she wasnt! She was polite and lovely.
I was in an AMAZING room with a big jacuzzi in the bedroom. I filled the tub, threw in some epsom salts to ease the muscle pain from al the snow shoveling! I had a great soak and then went to the lobby, grabbed a glass of wine and some nibbles from the happy hour and went back to my room.
The bed is the BEST bed and i always sleep better than when i am at home and that was the case again. Slept like a log. I know others have said that the fridge and the heat kept them awake but i dont find that to be the case for me at all.
The Wilshire breakfast is always yummy. I have food allergies so i stick to the fresh fruit and the eggs. (no gluten no dairy). They have waffle making stuff and always a breakfast meat. Plenty of juice and coffee too.
I just think the Wilshire is the perfect blend of boutique style hotel mixed with chain hotel perks without sacrificing the quality and service. I am sure I will be back!

Room Tip: pay extra for a king bed and the tub.....it was perfect!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank 4goingawayagain
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear 4goingawayagain,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. Your comments really are appreciated! Especially as a senior reviewer and a loyal repeat guest, we don't often hear from our repeat-loyal followers on TripAdvisor and to see this today, frankly, just made my day! Please send me a private message with your address if you like or mention this review on your next trip and I will extend to you our BIG FAN upgrade certificate for being so kind as a friend and client.

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This is a Housewife of NJ idea of classy but about 10 years out of date. Cheesy statues of lions and eagles out front and fake antique furnishings. All of that is ok, you know what you're getting by looking at photos online. But the staff is clueless. I asked where the restaurant is and the girl at the front desk sent me on the longish walk down the corridor to another part of the building. It was closed. On a saturday at 1pm. She didn't know. I was given a room with two small beds having booked 1 King. The guy at the desk said he didn't know what type of room I had booked because "Only the GM gets the emails" !
Also the whole place smells of cheap air freshener which makes my skin crawl. Stay somewhere else if you possibly can. Only positive note - TV is HD and has a great picture!

p.s. I notice that, like a lot of poorly run hotels, the Wilshire employs someone to answer these reviews. Trying to counteract the negative impact. Pay no attention.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NYCHard2Please
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear NYCHard2Please,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It's not often I feel compelled to engage in negative banter and I won't do that. I do apologize to any reader for having to read through this engagement however. I will simply respond factually with minimal emotion and accept your review gracefully after I've stated some of the more obvious facts.
1. I'm sorry the Marble Lions out front don't appeal to you.
2. We have no eagle statues out front.
3. We are not trying to pass off any of our furnishings as antiques. I'm not even sure which furniture you're even referring to. Some specifics might help.
4. Regarding the staff being clueless: it's a very general statement not worthy of me addressing unless you can give me some specifics which would be appreciated. Surely you didn't mean the entire staff was clueless because one new desk attendant forgot Primavera doesn't typically offer lunch on Saturdays.
5. A king was never booked for you and you did not book a room. The room was booked by our friends at the venue your group performed at. A room was booked by them, no specific room type.
6. You did not book nor did you pay for your room. There was no charge for the room due to a promotional exchange relationship we have with the venue. The emails our front office manager was discussing with you were about me and my communication with the venue.
7. Regarding air freshener: it's a mask and we don't use it. We use all Proctor & Gamble eco-friendly cleaning products and never air fresheners.
8. You're correct about the hotel employing someone to respond and answer reviews. That would be me. I am the general manager, an ownership member and I've been doing this since 2008 when TripAdvisor began allowing hotels to respond to reviews. I've been approached by hundreds of marketing companies requesting to do this service. I will never let someone else be my voice. I was responding to reviews on TripAdvisor since 2008, long before the big box brands allowed or would even acknowledge TripAdvisor as a player in our field. I have written articles for hospitality publications and have received awards for my interaction on sites such as TripAdvisor. Just to be clear again, I respond to each and every posting and review on every website. If you see me name, I wrote it.
9. Thank you for memorializing our HD TV with more than 80 channels, pay per view and Free HBO.

It's with regret that I didn't have the ability to speak with you prior to your departure. I get by your TripAdvisor name that you may be hard to please. I'm okay with hard to please. I do however request clarity, specifics, and truth. You've posted six hotels reviews, none of them good. Perhaps you have an axe to grind or maybe you don't really like traveling or maybe you were just having a few bad days. We can always turn a negative review into a mission for service growth. This one I'm afraid has me baffled. Your tone just seems questionable, all readers I'm sure will see that. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss the matter if you feel compelled and I thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor where we have been the leading # 1 hotel in our market since February 2008.
Direct Line 862-252-8440
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 March 2014

The pluses: rooms are spacious; breakfast is more than adequate; location is convenient to both Kessler Rehabilitation and St. Barnabas Hospital; there's an on site fine Italian restaurant (pricey, but worth it!) The minuses: front desk is minimally staffed and not that knowledgeable; heating is noisy and needs updating.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank avocado24
Dear Avocado24,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We eagerly anticipate and gauge our success on TripAdvisor and our guest ratings. Overall Positive generally speaking, is a good review. I do however pride myself on developing growth from our guests comments. Especially when there is potential service improvement possible. I appreciate the nice comments about our breakfast and accessibility to Saint Barnabas and Kessler. I would like to hear however what lead you to feel our front desk representative was not very knowlegeable. Sometimes a new staff member might not be up to speed but I'd rather not rely on guesswork and I don't want to assume. If you would kindly reach out to me and let me know who dealt with you and what room you were in as well so I will have the ability to check the heating unit. It shouldn't have been noisy and prevented comfort. I can be reached at my direct line 862-252-8440.

Ed Reagoso
Feeding Hills
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel during a raging snow storm (January 21, 2014). Our daughter was transferred from the hospital to Kessler - we needed a place to stay. The weather, and the unfortunate circumstances presented a very stressful situation. The Wilshire was a fabulous port in the storm! The manager offered us delicious food and drink for free! Very comfortable room and welcoming staff. The general manager was delightful!

Green Features: I love the attention to recycling and green friendly
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan L
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Susan L,
Thank you for your wonderful review. Here at The Wilshire, sometimes as managers and owners, we do things like insuring food is available during bad snowstorms (the wine and beer helps too). We do it because restaurant staff sometimes can't get in and local restaurants close up early but the main reason is that I personally, take the whole "lodging" thing quite serious. Some might think it's old school, peers might say I'm spending money that might have been our profits. The big box brands, many of them I was part of for many years would chastise their managers for doing what we do when storms arrive. This winter is about the harshest I remember in in the past fifteen years in this area. Choosing to do the right thing is a core belief in our mission and execution. It's incredibly nice that you noticed and even nicer that it's been memorialized. Thank you!
Ed Reagoso
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We booked 10 rooms plus ours which was supposedly a free bridal suite went you book a certain amount. Everyone i booked checked in. Went to check in, holding my wedding dress, and they said my name wasn't listed. They said they would have to send one if my guests to another hotel. They said my fathers name... I almost jumped over the counter. They manipulated something. And finally got our room. Of course my inlaws met me in that state. They still talk about in. Great. And we got charged for our room.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Kathrina M,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We gauge our successes and shortfalls by how we do with these reviews. In this case it appears we missed the mark a bit. I would truly appreciate you contacting me directly so if there is rectification due I may have the opportunity to discuss the matter and make good. Please contact on my direct line at 862-252-8440 at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We checked into the hotel the same evening as 8+ inches of snow hit the area. We had our two dogs with us and it was quite stressful but we checked in easily and got to our room. The staff had already been clearing, and before bed time the walkways and most of the parking lot were all cleared. Needless to say this made it much easier to take our dogs outside to do their business as it's impossible to get to any grass!

Our room is nice and large, only caveat is that the HVAC is kind of noisy, and its temperature setting seems kinda inaccurate.

Another 6 inches plus ice 24 hours later and again the staff were exemplary in getting it cleaned up. Our dogs really appreciate it, as do we.

The breakfast choices are great, their push-button coffee machine is the best one I've ever encountered, they're usually pathetic in my experience.

Finally, they're allowing us to do a late checkout on our last day because we need to get to the airport with our dogs and if we left at the normal checkout time we'd be way too early. With a foot of snow covering everything we can't take the dogs to a park or elsewhere for a run so the hotel is letting us stay overlong.

Room Tip: We're on the first floor near a back door. If you have dogs with you ask for one as the rooms ar...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pedro B
Dear Pedro B,
I thank you very much for this fine review. For certain, it's been a bit difficult to get our "best friends" a private place outside with all the snow we've been blessed with the last few weeks. Kidding about being blessed by snow however! We'll all be happy to get our Yappy Yard back in the spring. The groundhog says about six weeks. I've had the PTAC heating unit checked and have had some preventive maintenance done that I'm told will lessen the cycling it does which does make some noise when it kicks back on. This is normal for a hotel electric PTAC system. I love our coffee system too....next trip try the Espresso, its my personal favorite! Thanks for supplying the room tip too. It's really appreciated!
Ventnor City, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We had the most wonderful stay and experience at this hotel. We were there for our son's wedding with our Family and Friends. The staff made us feel so at home. Everyone that stayed called to let us know how much they enjoyed this unique hotel. Thank you Nelsy and to the front desk staff, we can't thank you all enough. We would all love to come back and stay there again. Loved all the extras (hot apple cider, cookies and specialty coffees). Very highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious and cozy and very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gnewman2014
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Gnewman2014,

You, your family and friends were truly a treat to work with. I am delighted that we had the opportunity to be part of such a wonderful event. Chad and Laurie make a great couple and My team and I wish them good health and prosperity in their future. Chad is a great guy and he's been more than a gentleman in the entire time I've known him. Thank you for posting this wonderful review!

Best to all of you from all of us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!