“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Not sure what the negative remarks are about this hotel but I really liked this hotel.
I do travel for business so I stay in many hotels.

The front desk were very nice and they were able to do an early check in
The room was very nice clean and big. Beds were very comfortable.
I did order room service which was delivered in under 15 min and the food was great!

The free breakfast was the best. I could not believe this was free. They had everything!
The check out was great as well and all the staff were very friendly.

I did not hear any loud noises and slept like a baby
Thank you!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the best
2 Thank JEKDES-NYC
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear JEKDES-NYC,

Thank you very much for posting your review with TripAdvisor. By now you must surely know - not only do we take this review process quite serious but we gauge our success on our service rating with TripAdvisor. Coming from a Senior Contributor, your comments carry much weight and it's clear that as a seasoned traveler your demands may be more specific in nature. I will be sure to share this with my staff and I again thank you for letting us know how we measured up. Your room tip as always, is appreciated as well.

Ed Reagoso-General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Lakewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have to say we recently held our annual trade show there and it was second to none. The setup was spot on and the food was great. Jacqueline took the time to help us throughout the planning and Daniel Clayton did a great job helping us lay things out and assisting throughout the event. Everyone went over and above to make sure we were happy and well taken care of.

2 Thank Kelly V
Dear Kelly V,

Thank you so very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. Your comments will surely be shared with the team and each person named will be awarded for their service level. It's truly nice to know that we've impressed you enough to post a review and the fact that your such a regular client makes the review that much sweeter!

Thank you!
Ed Reagoso-General Manager
Pipersville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I was happily surprised with the hotel and my stay at the Wilshire Grand Hotel. I was not sure what to expect, but given the price ($89/night) and the level of chain hotels in the general area, was not expecting much beyond the basics. The Wilshire Grand was really quite nice -- attractive and well-maintained inside and out, with friendly staff and an array of amenities. I was not there long enough to take advantage of anything except for the complimentary breakfast (also surprisingly good) but definitely enjoyed my stay. The one issue I had was with noise -- my room was located on the first floor (just passed the business center) and I heard comings and goings late into the night and beginning early in the morning (they were particularly loud because of the marble floor) -- To avoid this problem, I would recommend requesting a room on another floor or further down the hall. Otherwise, it was a nice hotel and I enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor (especially rooms close to the lobby).
2 Thank Lucy M
Dear lucymontgomery,
Thank you very much for posting your terrific review on TripAdvisor. My team and I take each and every review to heart and we work aggressively to create an atmosphere of personal service. To have your review memorialized is really appreciated. Adding your room tip is appreciated as well!

Ed Reagoso- General Manager
Cloquet, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Wilshire Grand Hotel for a week, along with other family members. We primarily chose the hotel for its proximity to Kessler Rehabilitation (and the fact that they offered a discounted rate for Kessler-affiliated guests). We were expecting a standard hotel experience but immediately realized we were in for something special. The interior has a very different look from a standard chain hotel: marble/limestone signs throughout, unique furniture, high-end craftsmanship throughout. They have a variety of nice touches, from a high quality latte/cappucino machine (not the usual sweet varieties) to fresh-baked David's Cookies and cider each evening, to a reasonably priced wine reception. The breakfast was outstanding and the selections included homemade oatmeal, real scrambled eggs, a huge fresh fruit bowl, high quality bagels and pastries, and even organic Stoneyfield Farm yogurt, as well as the more standard fare (cereals, toast, etc.) that you get at other hotels. There is also an excellent Italian restaurant on the premises (Primavera) that never disappointed us.

We left the hotel very satisfied and planned to post a positive review on Trip Advisor. We did have one suggestion for the General Manager, which we emailed to him one evening before posting the review. He answered our email at 7:00 a.m. the following morning and immediately addressed our concerns. So now our review is even more positive because we can add the fact that the hotel also has a very responsive general manager.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MN_travelers_18
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear MN_travelers_18,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are proud to be a Kessler Rehabilitation preferred hotel and we empathize with everyone and their families as they go through the trying times often involved in the recovery process. We are proud of our quality breakfast offerings and are glad you took notice of the many detailed items we make available. Regarding Zagat Rated Primavera, I too have never been disappointed! I do also thank you for memorializing my responsiveness in dealing with your concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can ever be of assistance to you again and I thank you and wish you and your family all the best in 2014.

Ed Reagoso - General Manager
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Outstanding hotel, grounds, rooms, staff, etc... this is the hotel standard that all others should follow! 5 Stars all the way. Every Every staff member I have spoken with here just seems to go the extra mile. In fact, Brian S. the Manager here was so over the top helpful that he ever mapped out my entire trip to the city, explained how and where to go on the transit system, made personally sure I was on the right track every single way! This my hotel for business and family trips from now on....for NJ and NYC trips!(This is my 2nd stay here and just booked again for April)

2 Thank FIT-SPORTS
Dear FIT Sports,

Thanks for your terrific review. We truly appreciate the time anyone personally takes to post a review that speaks to our commitment to personal service. I thank you for making us aware and as always, your comments will be shared with the staff.

Graciously,
Ed Reagoso - General Manager
Kinston, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel had large and spacious rooms, comfortable beds, and a great bathroom. The breakfast was delicious, while there were not many options, they changed the hot items daily. On our stay we had one day with corned beef hash and eggs, one day with hot breakfast sandwiches, and one day with sausage and eggs. This is in addition to the cold selections, which includes delicious bagels.

The only down fall is the hotel is not QUITE as close to the city as I thought it would be, so a train ride in takes about 30 minutes.

Green Features: They left a note about towels, and I never left them on the floor, yet they still were replaced daily.
1 Thank Keats04
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Keats04,

Thank you for posting your kind review on TripAdvisor. We take great time choosing our breakfast menu weekly and we like to insure staple items such as eggs, meats, and breads are rotated daily so guests are not getting the same meal offering every day. I too believe our bagels our the best around. They're made fresh locally and never held over for the next day if left over. Don't worry, they're not thrown away. We give any leftover to local organizations and sometimes staff. We do have a conservation program and if towels were left hanging they should not have been replaced. This might be an oversight or maybe the housekeeper had some unknown reason she thought they should be replaced. I will review this with my house keepers immediately and I thank you for making me aware. We take the idea of reducing our carbon footprint seriously and have integrated this into our business plan with this in mind.

Ed Reagoso, General Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The hotel is outdated. We had two rooms booked. Both rooms had inadequate lighting; in one room the television did not work. The rooms smelled strongly of disinfectant. The heating system was loud and right next to the bed. Furniture was cheap. On a positive note, the mattress was very good.

The hotel staff (with one exception) were not friendly, polite or helpful. Calls to the front desk went unanswered multiple times on both the day of check-in and the day of departure.

The worst part of the experience was the hotel's lack of commitment to provide its promised shuttle service. The hotel volunteered to us that it has a shuttle service to take customers to local business. We had arranged for the shuttle service with one front desk person. Later on, a different front desk person told us that the shuttle could not take us, but they had called for a cab for us. The cab that was called was actually a limo/town car service. We were charged $50 for an trip of approximately five (5) miles. It appears to be a "bait and switch" technique that I am suspect the hotel makes money on and it makes me wonder if the hotel or its employees receive a kick-back for the "cab" service. Be forewarned -- if they offer to call a cab for you, either call a cab yourself or use Uber, unless you want to pay exorbitant fees for your trip.

There were large groups of high school students (on tours) staying at the hotel -- they were noisy.

1 Thank Elaine E
Dear Elaine E,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused regarding your transportation needs. We absolutely should have honored your request since we had already agreed to take you outside our regular five mile driving zone. I can promise you there is no bait and switch, nor do we have ANY deal with a vendor to make money off our guests. That is a terribly unfair business practice and it does not go on here. Please contact me directly and I will gladly refund you the money paid to the cab company. I hope to also find out from you who the cab company was to insure we never use them again. Fifty dollars for a seven mile drive is absurd. My direct line is 862-252-8440 or feel free to private message me through TripAdvisor so you can be identified and the refund due you gets paid. We have been rated # 1 with TripAdvisor in West Orange since February 2008 by TripAdvisor guests. I don't profess that we're perfect. I do however profess to be all about our guests. Please take a moment and contact me to see why.

Ed Reagoso, General Manager
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!