“Mihaela makes this hotel better” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Roseland, New Jersey
“Mihaela makes this hotel better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been to the Wilshire a lot of times. Mihaela made me feel very welcome and that this was the place to be. She was very friendly and helpful (even with the previous customer inline that was rude). Keep it up!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank frankenstejn
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear frankenstejn,

Thank you kindly for posting this review on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to commend Mihaela for her friendly assistance to you. Kindly send me a private email with an address so I may send you a BIG FAN suite upgrade certificate for your next trip!

Thank you!

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Navesink, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I am part of the family of the last two negative reviewers. The night before the wedding the bride was told that the groom's parents(us) and best man had no room reservations. I booked those rooms at least a month in advance and had an e-mail confirmation, although the confirmation had us staying 2 nights. I got a call at midnight on the wedding eve from a very upset bride. The next morning, the wedding day, we called and confirmed our rooms, which they had now found and was told that we could check in at anytime. We arrived around 1pm and was told one room was available but they had to release the other room. They told us a room would be available for us by 3pm. We checked again at 3 and still no room was available. The wedding was at 4 so we were forced to dress in another guest's room. We were finally able to get into our room around 5pm and we had to move our luggage and check into our room while dressed in tuxedo and gown. Other guest were also having problems getting into their rooms. Earlier in the day the bride told me she requested more towels and never got them. We had a blanket delivered to our room that the staff said we ordered when we didn't. Many guest had trouble getting into their rooms because key cards didn't work, one guest slipped on water on the floor near the elevator and had to go to the emergency room from the hotel for a foot injury.
The breakfast was very good and had plenty of food and hot coffee. Unfortunately the woman working there was nasty and rude to guest (not from our wedding). As we were checking out the brides Aunt was speaking to the desk staff and was very aggitated and upset saying her stay was a living hell and she wanted to be compensated for her bad experience. In all fairness some of the desk staff were professional and polite. The night desk staff yelled at the wedding guest including the bride and groom to be quiet as they entered the hotel, even though they had rented the hotel bar out for an after wedding party. A smile and polite reminder that other guest were sleeping would have been all that was needed.
I have a call into Ed the General Manager to talk to him about out experience because his response to my son was that none of this could have happened.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear sfromm,
Thank you for reaching out to me and actually calling me last week. I appreciate the fact that this was written before connecting with me by telephone. I do hope you will make note of our conversation on a future review as discussed. It was so great to finally speak with someone rather than just fielding first timer postings which at times can simply be interpreted as internet banter. Clarification and verbal communication is always a good thing! Regarding someone tripping on a wet floor, respectfully my staff went up immediately when we were alerted of the incident and found no wet floor at all and no sign of a spill or a clean up. Also, the woman serving breakfast did tell a guest to use tongs while reaching into the muffin basket ...perhaps she could have said it with a smile. I do think however that her food handling disciplines might be appreciated by other guests. I'm sorry if anyone's feelings were hurt and I did discuss this with our breakfast server. for future reference.
Thank you again!
Ed Reagoso
Navesink, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

My son was married last weekend and many of us stayed here or attempted to. The night before the wedding my future daughter in law checked in and checked to see if we could check in early the next day. First she was told that we reserved for that day then she was told we didn't have a reservation. By the time I called the next day everything was cleared up and I could check in anytime. When we arrived at noon they only had one room of two ready but the other would be available at 3. It was 5 when we got our room. There were others who had the same problem and at least one case where they were only partially accommodated after rude treatment. There was pervasive feeling of arrogance with some of the staff particularly the some of the front desk and the woman working in the breakfast area. Nice hotel but needs much work on the hospitality phase.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear greenside,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that we were unable to offer everyone early check ins as requested. This is something that is very difficult to promise on a weekend. It also appears that there was some confusion as to accommodations. We did inquire about confirmations but without those confirmations from arriving guests we do have to rely on our own systems' confirmation. Feel free to contact me directly at 862-252-8440 on my direct line should you care to discuss the matter in greater detail. I'm sorry you feel that some of the staff treated your guests arrogantly or rudely. I was present and didn't see that but I will investigate the claim nevertheless and will act as needed to insure we have our best foot forward at all times.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Wonderful service oriented staff. Checking in was effortless. Spotless room. Breakfast was delicious. A tour bus full of teenagers arrived for breakfast at the same time we did. Not a problem for Florence who was alone and offered a complete customer service experience. I applaud her for her grace under pressure.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Couture1
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Couture1,
Thank you for posting your terrific review on TripAdvisor. Florence has quite a task and it's not often people appreciate the challenge of maintaining the breakfast when it gets that busy. I would guess that you have some personal service experience yourself for being empathetic and from Florence and myself, I truly thank you for memorializing your stay with TripAdvisor! I will be sure to thank Florence personally as well!
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We celebrated my brothers wedding yesterday and used the wilshire hotel in west orange. First off some of the extended family was unable to make it and the hotel released their reserved rooms to the public not allowing others in our wedding to have an opportunity to book the rooms... Then the hotel gave away the best mans room as well as the room of the grooms parents. They had to wait 5 hours for the rooms to be cleaned and were forced to change in bathrooms and other rooms due to the fact that the hotel promised the rooms would be ready and failed. The man at the front desk was extremely rude to the wedding party. Overall one of the WORST hotel experiences of my life!!!! Save ur money and stay anywhere else !!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Rastafide
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Rastafide,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry that you seem to have had an issue this weekend. Oddly, we never heard another complaint from anyone else related to any of your comments. We never gave away, and frankly would not give away rooms that were reserved to someone else. The only time that rooms are released back to the general public are on the cutoff date, thirty days prior to arrival if the block is not picked up. The option to guarantee and pay for these rooms if needed is always an option as well but this was not exercised for either of the wedding groups this weekend so I'm confused to why you would think we gave away anyone's reserved rooms. Secondly, as it relates to guests having to wait five hours for rooms: check in time is 3 p.m. When possible, we will of course allow guests in earlier than that but if someone arrives at 10 a.m. on a weekend day and expects to get their room that early, it's rare that we can accommodate more than a few. Additionally there were a few early arrival requests by a few arriving guests and each was accommodated on both Friday and Saturday. Each requested an early check in and we did in fact accommodate those that requested prior to arrival. The general complaints you mention are all about other guests and I appreciate that. I would however be interested in speaking with you directly to see in fact how we did for you personally? My direct line is 862-252-8440 and I sincerely hope that you will contact me directly to so I may investigate and address each and every item noted and to find out who in fact I should otherwise speak with.
Most Sincerely,
Ed Reagoso- General Manager
Englewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Wilshire Grand Hotel was chosen as the preferred hotel for a wedding weekend and was a really venue. The staff was extremely friendly from Eli at the front desk down to the security guard on duty! I accommodations were clean and the room was a very spacious, offering a pleasant stay all around.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joshua R
Dear Joshua R,

Thank you very much for your kind words. The fact that you took the time to memorialize the pleasure of your stay is truly appreciated by all of us here at The Wilshire Grand Hotel. Thank you!!
South Hadley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay. Beds were comfortable with plenty of pillows. Breakfast included waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, assortment of bagels and muffins, yogurt and cereal. The hotel is ecofriendly. Local restaurants nearby. We would definitely stay there again when travelling.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Massachusett
Dear Massachusett,

Thank you so very much for posting this wonderful review on TripAdvisor. Our team is always appreciative of new reviews and yours is truly stellar. Thank you for noticing our eco-friendly practices as well. Our goal to reduce our own carbon footprint by twelve percent this year is truly a task but we're working hard to make it a reality. Thank you for noticing!

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!