“The best!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bedminster, New Jersey
“The best!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stay at the Wilshire Grand frequently. This property has never once disappointed. Rooms are always immaculate. Staff is friendly, attentive and extremely helpful. You cannot ask for more in a hotel. Would highly recommend. Excellent!!

Room Tip: The suite is beautiful and worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steven K
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Steven K,

Thank you very much for posting this terrific review on TripAdvisor. As you personally know, we do appreciate your business and look forward to another great stay!
Best,
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I truly would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone! We had our wedding at a nearby venue on April 25th, 2014, and chose The Wilshire Grand as our hotel. At first, I had such great experiences with booking this place. They gave me a discounted rate for my guests to match the one I saw online of $132 per room. I held 20 rooms for my guests. I was surprised when some of my guests were trying to book a few weeks before the wedding, they were unable to because the hotel was already booked. I wish the hotel would have called me to ask me if I wanted to hold a few more rooms for my guests since I already booked so many. My guess is they probably didn't want to give anyone else the discounted rate. Their check in time is 3pm. I understand if the rooms aren't clean, you can't check in early, but the staff was so rude to my guests when they asked. I aksed nicely if they were able to at least let the parents of the wedding party and my 80 yr old grandmother to check in with first priority the night before if the rooms were available. The front desk guy had no idea what he was doing because he couldn't even find their reservations! After about 20 minutes, he finally said he had them on a first priority check in list and to call in the morning to see what time they should come. They would up not having their rooms ready, so everyone was in my suite getting ready for the wedding like a bunch of sardines. The morning of the wedding, I requested a 2 extra chairs since now everyone was in my room and towels, which took FOREVER to come. When my grandmother came, they didnt have her reservation, and told my aunt, who booked the reservation over the phone that she needed her confirmation number, as if she had never booked her room. So this forced my guests to room together, which when my guests complained abou tthis, the hotel manager gave them a comped room. I am wondering, where was this manager the rest of these instances? When there is a problem at my job, I call a manager. The management never seemed to be around. The staff was rude to a number of my guests, and photographer upon checking in. People didn't complain to me too much on my wedding day, but I am now hearing all of this negative feedback, which causes me to write this horrible review. One of my guests mistakenly left their key in their room, which is not a big deal in any hotel. They usually give you a new one. The guy came with 4 different keys. You would think in the middle of the night, they would have a master key. When my uncle asked him for the master key angrily, because he was frustrated for waiting an entire hour to get into his room in the middle of the night, the person heloing him with the key told him he was GOING TO CALL THE COPS ON HIM!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! I have never heard of anything like this happening in a place of accomidation before! Last but not least, my cousin slipped on a puddle outside the elevator door and broke her foot in this place! As a bride, this place did NOT meet any of my expectations. My party booked over 20 rooms, and we rented out the bar for 2 hours for $300, where my guests still paid for their drinks after the wedding. You would think they would treat you with some class? I didn't feel this way at all and would never write such a bad review about any of my vendors if they at least tried to make things better. Their lack of effort is disgusting!

4 Thank Leigha F
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Leigha F,

Thank your for posting your review. I am sorry that you remain disappointed. I believe we did speak before you left. I did tell you and other family members to feel free to call me if there was anything else to resolve. I'm saddened that you didn't take advantage of my request to assist in this way. It appears to me that most of the anguish here is because we were sold out and you still needed rooms in addition to what was already blocked. This and the fact that we could not get every one checked in earlier than check in time. In retrospect if I knew you needed more rooms we might have been able to offer more when you originally booked with us. This is a double edge sword however and we do not push for that because the extra rooms must be guaranteed as with any hotel in our market. We did get several guests in early and we gladly offered our lobby, free coffee, healthy waters, and champagne reception while guests awaited their room keys. Again I apologize to you. I did in fact comp your relative for one night in an effort to satisfy an issue of a reservation discrepancy. Our system confirmation showed just a one night res and it's completely common and appropriate to ask a guest for the confirmation in the event of a discrepancy like this. There was no confirmation to be had - I stepped in and in spite of not being able to justify the reservation to our satisfaction I comped the second night anyway in an effort to do the right thing. Another hotel would never have comped a room until the confirmation was given even after the fact. I am sorry. Regarding the slip and fall, I commented on this on another review that we did in fact check the area immediately and there was absolutely no sign of a puddle, water, or a clean up when we were advised of the incident after the wedding. I do in fact apologize again and want you to know that where we err'd we will work to learn from this and I still invite you to call me personally to assist in any fashion possible.

Most sincerely,

Ed Reagoso - general manager
West Orange
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We love this hotel. It is centrally located for us and everyone is very attentive.
The rooms are lovely. The breakfasts are fabulous. The lobby offers drinks, cookies and popcorn in the afternoon. The patio is wonderful to sit out on. One can walk or borrow bikes to ride to Verona Park which is quite close. It is very safe and has a European genteel feel to it. We stay there whenever we visit friends in Livingston or want a hotel to visit NYC.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Lynda H
Dear Lynda H,

Thank you so very much for memorializing your happiness with your stay with us. It's truly appreciated. I'm very glad that you took the time out of your schedule to place your review.

Ed Reagoso - General Manager
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My company held an event at the Wilshire Grand Hotel in February 2014. I had previously written a review on the hotel and neglected to mention the hotel's Reservation Department.

In the planning of our event, I had many changes to our rooming list and Danielle in the Reservations Department was able to make our changes and keep up with date changes and cancellations down to the wire.

She was very professional and courteous and never charged us for any last minute cancellations to our room block.

It was a pleasure working with Danielle.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Marym4841
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Marym4841,

Thank you so very much for memorializing your satisfaction in working with Danielle. I can promise that we (including Danielle) have fond memories of doing business with your organization and you as well!

Thank you!!
Roseland, New Jersey
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have been to the Wilshire a lot of times. Mihaela made me feel very welcome and that this was the place to be. She was very friendly and helpful (even with the previous customer inline that was rude). Keep it up!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank frankenstejn
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear frankenstejn,

Thank you kindly for posting this review on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to commend Mihaela for her friendly assistance to you. Kindly send me a private email with an address so I may send you a BIG FAN suite upgrade certificate for your next trip!

Thank you!

Navesink, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I am part of the family of the last two negative reviewers. The night before the wedding the bride was told that the groom's parents(us) and best man had no room reservations. I booked those rooms at least a month in advance and had an e-mail confirmation, although the confirmation had us staying 2 nights. I got a call at midnight on the wedding eve from a very upset bride. The next morning, the wedding day, we called and confirmed our rooms, which they had now found and was told that we could check in at anytime. We arrived around 1pm and was told one room was available but they had to release the other room. They told us a room would be available for us by 3pm. We checked again at 3 and still no room was available. The wedding was at 4 so we were forced to dress in another guest's room. We were finally able to get into our room around 5pm and we had to move our luggage and check into our room while dressed in tuxedo and gown. Other guest were also having problems getting into their rooms. Earlier in the day the bride told me she requested more towels and never got them. We had a blanket delivered to our room that the staff said we ordered when we didn't. Many guest had trouble getting into their rooms because key cards didn't work, one guest slipped on water on the floor near the elevator and had to go to the emergency room from the hotel for a foot injury.
The breakfast was very good and had plenty of food and hot coffee. Unfortunately the woman working there was nasty and rude to guest (not from our wedding). As we were checking out the brides Aunt was speaking to the desk staff and was very aggitated and upset saying her stay was a living hell and she wanted to be compensated for her bad experience. In all fairness some of the desk staff were professional and polite. The night desk staff yelled at the wedding guest including the bride and groom to be quiet as they entered the hotel, even though they had rented the hotel bar out for an after wedding party. A smile and polite reminder that other guest were sleeping would have been all that was needed.
I have a call into Ed the General Manager to talk to him about out experience because his response to my son was that none of this could have happened.

Dear sfromm,
Thank you for reaching out to me and actually calling me last week. I appreciate the fact that this was written before connecting with me by telephone. I do hope you will make note of our conversation on a future review as discussed. It was so great to finally speak with someone rather than just fielding first timer postings which at times can simply be interpreted as internet banter. Clarification and verbal communication is always a good thing! Regarding someone tripping on a wet floor, respectfully my staff went up immediately when we were alerted of the incident and found no wet floor at all and no sign of a spill or a clean up. Also, the woman serving breakfast did tell a guest to use tongs while reaching into the muffin basket ...perhaps she could have said it with a smile. I do think however that her food handling disciplines might be appreciated by other guests. I'm sorry if anyone's feelings were hurt and I did discuss this with our breakfast server. for future reference.
Thank you again!
Ed Reagoso
Navesink, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My son was married last weekend and many of us stayed here or attempted to. The night before the wedding my future daughter in law checked in and checked to see if we could check in early the next day. First she was told that we reserved for that day then she was told we didn't have a reservation. By the time I called the next day everything was cleared up and I could check in anytime. When we arrived at noon they only had one room of two ready but the other would be available at 3. It was 5 when we got our room. There were others who had the same problem and at least one case where they were only partially accommodated after rude treatment. There was pervasive feeling of arrogance with some of the staff particularly the some of the front desk and the woman working in the breakfast area. Nice hotel but needs much work on the hospitality phase.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear greenside,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that we were unable to offer everyone early check ins as requested. This is something that is very difficult to promise on a weekend. It also appears that there was some confusion as to accommodations. We did inquire about confirmations but without those confirmations from arriving guests we do have to rely on our own systems' confirmation. Feel free to contact me directly at 862-252-8440 on my direct line should you care to discuss the matter in greater detail. I'm sorry you feel that some of the staff treated your guests arrogantly or rudely. I was present and didn't see that but I will investigate the claim nevertheless and will act as needed to insure we have our best foot forward at all times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Orange
The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!