“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersGold level
Westport, Connecticut
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My husband and I had a great experience at the Wilshire... I wish we got to stay longer than the one night we had originally booked for. Very clean room, comfortable bedding and perfect environment. We had a wonderful time at the Wilshire. The staff were very pleasant and we simply did not have a single complaint.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank D D
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear D D,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful review. We measure our success on this review platform and my team truly works assertively to keep everyone happy. Please know that my staff and I truly appreciate this great review! We hope to see you again soon.

Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend as it was the preferred hotel for the wedding we were attending. Checking in was a nightmare, but we attributed this to many checking in at the same time. We had made the reservation back in Jan and asked for king room. Upon checking we got a double which we could live with. What we could not live with is the first floor room NEXT TO THE BAR! We spent the first night without any sleep as in order to get to the rooms the bar participants had to go by our room to get to theirs. Loud patrons screaming until 4:30 in the morning going by our room is not enjoyable sleep. To top it off when it did finally quiet down at 4:30 at 6:30 a wake up call that we DIDNT request came.

In fairness to the manager on duty, when we complained he did move us to the third floor that was quiet for next night and did refund 50% for the first night. We probably should have request 100% but we are not confrontational people and it took a lot for us to even complain.

If you are offered a first floor room at this hotel RUN don't walk from there.

Room Tip: Never stay on the first floor in the hall by the restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Susan W,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am very happy that you reached out and let us know about your issue. We do believe strongly in doing the right thing and as memorialized, once a problem was identified we acted professionally and promptly with a solution. Please feel free to contact me directly to further discuss the matter and I will send you a certificate, value equal to the other 50% off you feel is warranted to use on a future stay. I will also say that any first floor at any hotel can be a bit noisy on weekends because of wedding parties and I apologize personally for the inconvenience once again. Readers should always check the TripAdvisor "Room Tips" as this has been posted before and it make great sense to always stay on a quieter floor and away from elevators whenever possible.

Thank you again!!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This place was the best stay I've had in a long time, staff was courteous and friendly.
Been here a few times and each time it's better than the last
Would recommend it to anyone for business or for personal visits, you won't regret it...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Luis O
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Luis O,
Thank you for putting your terrific review on TripAdvisor. It is truly appreciated! We look forward to serving you again very soon.
Ed Reagoso
Jersey
Reviewed 30 May 2014

West Orange, New Jersey is home to dozens of hotels and banquet facilities, and the best place to stay is The Wilshire Grand. Besides the rooms being gorgeous, and the location being extremely convenient, the staff is very eager to please. There is an on-site restaurant with an amazing menu and an incredible wine list as well. It's a very comfortable hotel and you will absolutely feel like you are at home. They are a really great place to host a room block at as well!

Room Tip: There isn't really a bad room in the hotel, it all depends on where you want to stay. When you b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank jctruman1
Dear jctruman1,

Thank you so very much for posting this wonderful review on TripAdvisor. It was truly a pleasure having you here with us. We know every guest has the ability to choose where they stay and we're delighted that you chose to stay here with us. Thank you so much for your kind words!!
Ed Reagoso
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had just gotten out of a 9 day hospital stay and couldn't go home because my house was being renovated. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating considering my limited ability from my hospital stay. One staff member Wadiah went completely out of her way. I had left my laptop charger at the hospital she called there to verify they would but it aside and managed to get my charger to the hotel for me by the next day. She was very professional and helpful during my stay here. I wouldn't think twice about booking another stay here!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Tlc6258
Dear Tlc6258,
Thank you for taking time out of your own busy day to post your review on TripAdvisor. It's truly appreciated! I will see that Wadiah is made aware of your review. I know she will be as delighted as I am! Please keep us in mind for your future needs and if I can help at all with arrangements my direct line is 862-252-8440.

Bedminster, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stay at the Wilshire Grand frequently. This property has never once disappointed. Rooms are always immaculate. Staff is friendly, attentive and extremely helpful. You cannot ask for more in a hotel. Would highly recommend. Excellent!!

Room Tip: The suite is beautiful and worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steven K
Dear Steven K,

Thank you very much for posting this terrific review on TripAdvisor. As you personally know, we do appreciate your business and look forward to another great stay!
Best,
Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I truly would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone! We had our wedding at a nearby venue on April 25th, 2014, and chose The Wilshire Grand as our hotel. At first, I had such great experiences with booking this place. They gave me a discounted rate for my guests to match the one I saw online of $132 per room. I held 20 rooms for my guests. I was surprised when some of my guests were trying to book a few weeks before the wedding, they were unable to because the hotel was already booked. I wish the hotel would have called me to ask me if I wanted to hold a few more rooms for my guests since I already booked so many. My guess is they probably didn't want to give anyone else the discounted rate. Their check in time is 3pm. I understand if the rooms aren't clean, you can't check in early, but the staff was so rude to my guests when they asked. I aksed nicely if they were able to at least let the parents of the wedding party and my 80 yr old grandmother to check in with first priority the night before if the rooms were available. The front desk guy had no idea what he was doing because he couldn't even find their reservations! After about 20 minutes, he finally said he had them on a first priority check in list and to call in the morning to see what time they should come. They would up not having their rooms ready, so everyone was in my suite getting ready for the wedding like a bunch of sardines. The morning of the wedding, I requested a 2 extra chairs since now everyone was in my room and towels, which took FOREVER to come. When my grandmother came, they didnt have her reservation, and told my aunt, who booked the reservation over the phone that she needed her confirmation number, as if she had never booked her room. So this forced my guests to room together, which when my guests complained abou tthis, the hotel manager gave them a comped room. I am wondering, where was this manager the rest of these instances? When there is a problem at my job, I call a manager. The management never seemed to be around. The staff was rude to a number of my guests, and photographer upon checking in. People didn't complain to me too much on my wedding day, but I am now hearing all of this negative feedback, which causes me to write this horrible review. One of my guests mistakenly left their key in their room, which is not a big deal in any hotel. They usually give you a new one. The guy came with 4 different keys. You would think in the middle of the night, they would have a master key. When my uncle asked him for the master key angrily, because he was frustrated for waiting an entire hour to get into his room in the middle of the night, the person heloing him with the key told him he was GOING TO CALL THE COPS ON HIM!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! I have never heard of anything like this happening in a place of accomidation before! Last but not least, my cousin slipped on a puddle outside the elevator door and broke her foot in this place! As a bride, this place did NOT meet any of my expectations. My party booked over 20 rooms, and we rented out the bar for 2 hours for $300, where my guests still paid for their drinks after the wedding. You would think they would treat you with some class? I didn't feel this way at all and would never write such a bad review about any of my vendors if they at least tried to make things better. Their lack of effort is disgusting!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Leigha F
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Leigha F,

Thank your for posting your review. I am sorry that you remain disappointed. I believe we did speak before you left. I did tell you and other family members to feel free to call me if there was anything else to resolve. I'm saddened that you didn't take advantage of my request to assist in this way. It appears to me that most of the anguish here is because we were sold out and you still needed rooms in addition to what was already blocked. This and the fact that we could not get every one checked in earlier than check in time. In retrospect if I knew you needed more rooms we might have been able to offer more when you originally booked with us. This is a double edge sword however and we do not push for that because the extra rooms must be guaranteed as with any hotel in our market. We did get several guests in early and we gladly offered our lobby, free coffee, healthy waters, and champagne reception while guests awaited their room keys. Again I apologize to you. I did in fact comp your relative for one night in an effort to satisfy an issue of a reservation discrepancy. Our system confirmation showed just a one night res and it's completely common and appropriate to ask a guest for the confirmation in the event of a discrepancy like this. There was no confirmation to be had - I stepped in and in spite of not being able to justify the reservation to our satisfaction I comped the second night anyway in an effort to do the right thing. Another hotel would never have comped a room until the confirmation was given even after the fact. I am sorry. Regarding the slip and fall, I commented on this on another review that we did in fact check the area immediately and there was absolutely no sign of a puddle, water, or a clean up when we were advised of the incident after the wedding. I do in fact apologize again and want you to know that where we err'd we will work to learn from this and I still invite you to call me personally to assist in any fashion possible.

Most sincerely,

The Madison Hotel
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 5 in Morristown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!