“Comfortable room, enjoyable food”

The Wilshire Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My wife and I recently attended a wedding at The Wilshire Grand Hotel and spent two nights there. The room was clean and comfortable, and the desk area had enough electrical outlets to accommodate laptop, cell phone and Kindle at the same time.

The front desk staff members were friendly and quickly able to answer questions regarding nearby restaurants and transportation.

A modest, complimentary breakfast is available each morning, and each afternoon, complimentary fresh cookies, popcorn and lemonade are available near the lobby. The banquet service we experienced at the wedding was quite good, and the food was enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank DonnPearlman
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear DonPearlman,

Thank you kindly for posting this wonderful review on TripAdvisor. Coming from a Top Contributor we believe your review carries an awful lot of weight. It's always appreciated when seasoned travelers post their reviews. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Did not stay here but attended a wonderfully orchastrated wedding. Decorations were tasteful and food was varied, presented beautifully and served with skill. The rooms are of good size and even if there are multiple events a sense of privacy is preserved. Near Newark airport. A $50 cab ride.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank gorlinjay
service1, General Manager at The Wilshire Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Gorlinjay,
Thanks for this great review. Coming from a TOP CONTRIBUTOR with TripAdvisor makes this even more special. Thank you for taking the time and posting with TripAdvisor!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel and the wedding and reception were also held there. From the moment we checked in until our departure, everything was great. The staff were friendly and helpful and the catering for 3 different events was excellent. Our room was spacious, quiet and clean. A good self-serve breakfast and WiFi was included with the room. The neighborhood is lovely and there are restaurants and shopping nearby. (It is located about 45 min. from Newark Airport and we rented a car because the only other way to get there was by cab.) All in all, a very positive experience.

1  Thank Victoria_BCTravelbug

Dear Victoria_BCTravelbug,

Thank you so very much for this wonderful review you've posted. It's difficult to gloss over a review from someone that's posted more than 30 hotel reviews. Clearly you are a seasoned traveler and we couldn't ask for a better review. Your review was a delight and coming from you it means so very much to all of us. Thank you again so very much!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I booked this as an Express Deal on Priceline and was very pleasantly surprised. The public areas are nice and the rooms are quite good. I had a double-double with very comfortable mattress and good pillows (not too squishy). Large bathroom + big screen TV + microwave + mini-fridge. Two complimentary small bottles of water and free Wi-Fi. Breakfast was OK--nothing spectacular but I didn't go hungry either. Staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful
What kept this from being a five-star was that the décor is a little dated--felt like I had stepped back into someone's grandmother's house in the 1980s. Also, hotel staff should smile and acknowledge guest when passing in the hallway or lobby. Maybe it's because I'm from the Midwest, but I appreciate a "good morning" from the housekeeping staff or maintenance person.
I will be back in the area next year and will most likely stay here. Very pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gefilte63

Dear Gefilte63,

Your TripAdvisor review is truly appreciated. My staff and I read every review and take each one to heart. Your comments are very direct and will be reviewed at our next meeting with department heads. If you could take the time and let me know what you think we might do better at breakfast I'd really appreciate it. I will also be sure to review your comments with maintenance and our housekeepers...many of them don't speak english well and lack some self confidence in communicating but we are working on a plan to help them adjust where ever we can. I thank you for also noting your opinion of the decor. Though I don't completely agree, we are slated this winter for a new style drapery and bedding that will give us a more trendy look. Thank you again and if you're in the area in the future please stop by and say hello!
Ed Reagoso

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Nice place. I have the utmost respect for the people who do the long hours preparing for guest wedding arrivals. Notable was Florence - she is wonderful. She is in at 4am on a Saturday when I went for a run and was still at it well into the evening setting up for the next day (mopping the common areas too). She graciously let me do work despite her cleaning schedule and I could not have been more impressed. The staff was nice and amicable. However, I hope the establishment compensate the staff for what they are worth.

The area is nothing notable in NJ but the place stands out as adequate to nice, but don't expect the Ritz. It is likely better than any other competitive offerings for weddings or parties. They have focused on the common areas as expected but the rooms are drab. The extras were nice.

Dear ML,
Thank you so very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We know every guest has a choice in where they stay and we truly appreciate every guest that chooses to stay with us . Florence says Thank you and Hello! And I look forward to speaking with you in the future should I get the opportunity.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I will be attending a big Bar Mitzvah in NJ mid September at the Metlife Stadium and I just made reservations through the reservations manager (Amanda). She is excellent to work with. A true professional and a huge help. We could stay at any one of a hundred other Hotels closer to the venue but wouldnt even think of it because we love The Wilshire Grand SO much. Thank you Ed and Amanda!

Sean

Room Tip: If you have a pet traveling with you this is the place For Sure! Nice little run in the back.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sonsean60,

Thank you very much for your kind words! We are huge proponents of TripAdvisor and we gauge our service success on the reviews placed by guests. Thank you for making note and we'll see you soon!
Best Always,
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We were in the area to attend a wedding and this was the closest hotel to the venue. Clean, attentive service, nice sized rooms, generous breakfast In a sunlight room. Only good things to say about this hotel.

Dear Laurie M,

Thank you for this wonderful review. My team and I strive to be the best in the area. The time you've taken to post this review is truly appreciated! Thank you very much!
Ed Reagoso, General Manager

La Quinta Inn & Suites Clifton / Rutherford
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
Hyatt Regency Jersey City
#1 of 14 in Jersey City

Been to The Wilshire Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!