“Nice hotel - well located”

Courtyard West Orange
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
Maplewood,
“Nice hotel - well located”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed for 11 days at this Courtyard Marriott and had a lovely quiet room in the back of the hotel. The beds are a little lumpy, as are the pillows, the towels could use replacing with more plush ones, but they were adequate. The staff is welcoming and always had a hello and a smile and the room was well appointed with a work area at the desk, comfortable chairs with free Internet access and coffee pot. Both weekends were very busy with weddings and despite being 'sold out,' the services and staff remained the same. The room and hallways were quiet and my room had a nice large terrace . There is no room service, but you can call the restaurant and order what you would like and then go downstairs to get it. Housekeeping was fair and despite leaving a note with money requesting extra towels, I always had to seek out a housekeeper to ask for more towels. The room and bath were clean and there is a shopping center directly next door to the hotel which is helpful.
The hotel is well located and lives up to the Courtyard standard and I would return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back with double beds. The terrace is very large and you can watch the sunset...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
mike b, General Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very kindly for your review of our Hotel. We are always pleased when our guests let us know how we are doing. I'm happy to see that you were satisfied with our Hotel overall , and I truly apologize for the shortcomings you experienced. Please contact me directly if you are traveling to our area again as I would love to persoanlly see to your absolute comfort and complete delight.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Stayed a couple of times and at first thought this was a first rate hotel. Last time I stayed it was expensive and some of the staff were less than friendly. There was only decaf out on the free tea counter. When I asked for regular the woman in the kitchen told her colleague I could have regular if I paid for it. She didn't know I could hear her. When trying to negotiate a company rate the woman was rude and could not understand my English accent. She seemed to blame me for that. We are going to stay at least 40 nights up to the end of the yr but she could not offer a rate. Stay at the Wiltshire Grand guys you can get a decent rate with breakfast, snacks and free wine in the evening. Oh and regular tea all day

Room Tip: Stay at the Wiltshire
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
mike b, General Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor! Please accept my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with regard to our Complimentary Coffee/Tea Counter. We endeavor to keep Complimentary Coffee & Tea available 24 hours a day for all our guests, and I'm truly sorry you were not able obtain what you required. I will be sharing your comments with my team members who have given you a less than stellar impression of our guest service. I would like to assure you this is indeed a rare occurrence. We are supremely committed to exceeding our guests expectations and anything less is unacceptable to us.

Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience so that I may re-visit your future lodging needs as I'm sure that we will be able to show you our true hospitality on a future stay!

At Your Service,
Pawleys Island, SC
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is a Courtyard that lives up to Marriott standards. Huge, open reception and lounge area with a deli style restaurant that is open until 10 PM if I remember correctly. The exterior is very nicely maintained and walking distance to a Mall that contains shopping and restaurants. The rooms are typical for a courtyard; well equipped and clean and the rooms were extremely quiet. What more could you ask? The front desk was very helpful during my one-night stay and called for taxis when they were needed. The taxis were always on time. The only downside to the stay was the in-house restaurant breakfast. My colleague had to return her breakfast as the egg dish was like rubber. Definitely not edible. However, the hotel refunded the cost of the meal without hesitation.

Room Tip: My room was highly satisfactory in my first stay at this location. The area is quiet and I suspect...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Maria S I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for your review. It is very importatn for us to have your feedback. This review will be shared with our team. We hope to have you staying with us soon.
Maria
MA
Reviewed 11 August 2012

A Hampton Inn is a much better deal for a higher-end hotel. Was clean and beds were comfortable but the room overall didn't have the freshness of a Hampton Inn. Halls were dark. Tub faucet had a one inch gap from the wall. No nightlight in the bathroom. A/C was slightly noisy with a buzzing sound that was in a continuous five second loop. Whirlpool didn't work. Told desk clerk and two of them checked it out. Said they'd need maintenance to fix it but it wasn't fixed before we left the next morning.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2012

The updated room was clean, comfortable and quiet. I didn't hear banging doors, children running through the halls, or any typically disturbing sounds. I would have enjoyed a few extra amenities that I have grown used to in the competing Hilton Chain like coffee and fresh baked cookies. But these were not available. The Internet connected easily. No password was needed-a definite plus.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Maria S I, Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your review! We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott West Orange! Hope you visit us again!
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I spent a night here. The room was quiet, clean and recently remodeled. There is a pool, a small gym, free coffee/tea, and a cafe (which I didn't try).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank scherzva
mike b, General Manager at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Dear Scherzva,
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your recent visit with us here at the West Orange Courtyard. We truly appriciate your kind words regarding your stay. Our Hotel has recently completed an extensive reniovation and we are very proud of the results. It is our mission to provide all our guest with a pleasant and comfortable stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Happy Travel!
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed there 2 nights so only one room cleaning was needed. The maids did not clean the bathroom at all, leaving the used wet towels on the floor and half-filled garbage can. It took 2 calls to front desk to get clean towels and the dirty towels removed. Checkout morning, the maids woke us up at 9:30 although check out was at noon. They knocked again at 10 am. When I pointed out that we were checking out and they could clean after we left, the maid mumbled about not knowing that we were checking out although the final bill was already slipped under our door that morning. Overall a bad experience and would recommend against staying here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Mary W,
Thank you so much for for sharing your thoughts reagarding your recent stay with us here at the West Orange Courtyard. We truly value input from all our guests, especially if we have fallen short of providing the utmost in comfort and service. I am sincerely sorry that our Housekeeping department failed to provide proper room cleaning during your stay. I can assure you that this is a rare occurance and I sincerely apologize for our shortcomings. Please contact me directly if you are visiting our area again so that I may personaly see to your complete comfort and satisfaction. Thank again so much for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these West Orange hotels

Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk
Hilton Short Hills
Hilton Short Hills
#1 of 1 in Short Hills

Been to Courtyard West Orange? Share your experiences!