“Good service lumpy beds”

Courtyard West Orange
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in West Orange
Chicago
“Good service lumpy beds”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed here for business last week. The staff is very friendly and welcoming. All the mod cons of a business hotel, however the beds were poor at best. Saggy, a bit lumpy. After a 14 hour day, I didn't complain, but if I returned, I would make certain the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Maria I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thank you for review. I will make sure to address your concern about the beds with our Operations Deparmtent, and we will take any necessary actions to make the beds more comfortable. We appreciate the nice comments about the staff. Please contact me directly if you need assistance for future reservations. You may contact me at 973-669-4725 extension 402.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Gurnee, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here because it was recommended on a website for a nearby university. If you are going to this area for a specific purpose and will not be spending a lot of time in the hotel, then this hotel is functional. At first glance, I wondered where the normal "Marriott" standards had gone, but while I stayed there I found the rooms quiet, the beds comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. While the pictures on the website are stunning, the reality is average (as are almost all hotel websites). That is okay. I would stay again. They had just been pounded with 15 inches of snow and were having to shovel the roof in front of the hotel. The parking lot was cleaned, the walks were safe and they did an outstanding job to try and make the patrons of the hotel as comfortable and safe as possible.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Maplewood,
Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is my third stay at this hotel and it gets better and better. The staff is most welcoming, anxious to please, accommodating and very knowledgeable. Upon check-in I was given a room very near to the elevator and I thought that I would need to request a new room, however, I have been very pleased and have not heard any noise from other guests nearby or the elevator. The room is kept very clean and is made up promptly.
My stay included a major snowstorm this week and although the main areas of the driveways were cleared, they were not able to clean between where cars had been parked overnight and it is still extremely icy there and these spaces are pretty much unusable.
The Bistro serves good food, the staff is friendly and my only complaint is that they only serve Starbucks coffee/tea. They do not offer Room Service, but you can go downstairs and order your food and bring it back upstairs. The Lobby is very nice with computers and television and very comfortable seating if you prefer to eat in the restaurant.
The location is excellent - near shopping and major highways and their employees should be commended for a job well done!

Room Tip: I have stayed in 3 different rooms and all rooms have been very good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The day before I arrived there was a major snowfall in New Jersey. The hotel was a little slow on clearing the lot and sidewalks. A few other problems cropped up BUT the management has been working with me on the problems and resolution. I am going to give them another chance so I will review again after that.

Room Tip: Go for the 1st floor or 3rd floor. 2nd floor had a lot of noise coming from above.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Normally I am always satisfied with Marriott and their line of hotels. But, the room I got this past week was a total disaster.
The iron had no steam. (They did replace it.)
The heater made a loud knocking noise every time it ran. (They worked on it, but it never went away.)
The outlets in the bathroom were broken. (Never addressed.)
The coffee maker switch had to be manually held down throughout the brew cycle. (Never addressed.)
Very sad.
Hopefully they can do better in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Maria I, Director of Sales at Courtyard West Orange, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Good afternoon,

I hope you are doing well. Please receive my apologies for all the inconveniences that you have experienced during your stay with us. I would like to find out more information, such as the room number you had, so I can address the issues to the departments involved. If you don't mind, I would like to talk to you personally. My phone number is 973-669-4725 ext. 402.

Maria Irigoyen

Travellers are raving about these West Orange hotels

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Found 1 hair in the bath towel, the very helpful gentleman at the front desk apologized and provided clean towels and got me free milk for my daughter (no milk available at their Market)
Only one night here but I enjoyed it. The rate was better here and I only needed a place to sleet after my shopping day at Elizabeth Gardens

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I am Diamond with Hilton and was thinking of starting in Marriott's program, so decided to try out this Courtyard while visiting my sister over Xmas. I needed the room after a very long drive to have peace from my family. Peace is NOT at all what I got!

First, the rooms are nice, as well as, the lobby. That is it! I entered my room and saw a few bugs (beetle like bugs). No big deal….its warm outside. By evening, I had killed 7 of these beetles. Seriously gross.

I go to bed, tired after my 10 hour drive here. 2 hours later near Midnight the FIRE ALARM goes off. Seriously?? Who has a fire alarm that late? I struggle to get back to bed by 2am, only for my alarm clock (NOT SET BY ME) goes off at the loudest setting at 5am. Really angered me! Doesn't housekeeping check to see if alarms are set? I guess not at Marriott.

So, not a good experience for the cost (nearly $200 for basic room). Not happy with Marriott, and no longer moving into Marriott. Hilton treats me way better….stupid of me to try anything else!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Hampton Inn & Suites Newark-Harrison-Riverwalk
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairfield

Been to Courtyard West Orange? Share your experiences!