“A nice addition to our day!”

Eisenhower National Historic Site
Ranked #10 of 109 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: President Eisenhower used this farm as a retreat from the White House, then retired here.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

When we arrived at the Visitor's Center and Museum, going to the Eisenhower house was one of the options listed. My husband and I decided to purchase a ticket and check it out and we are very glad we did! You have to pick a time in which a bus will pick you up from the museum to take you to the house. Once there, buses come often (I believe every half hour or hour) to pick you up and take you back to the museum. Seeing where the president lived was very interesting and I was very happy that we could actually walk around quite a bit in the house. The tour guides were very helpful in answering any questions we had, and we enjoyed wandering the grounds ourselves. I liked that it was not regimented and you could stay as long as you liked. It was a nice break in the day and I learned a lot! I agree with a previous reviewer. I think this would be more interesting for adults than children, but they do try their best to interact with the chidlren as well. I believe they have a secret agent program/activity for the kids to do to get them involved.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a truly beautiful little corner of the world. A quick bus ride from the Gettysburg Battlefield visitor centre places you back in the late 50s/early 60s. We loved this concept of preserving important sites exactly as they were when they were last used, much like Churchill's war rooms in London.

The tour staff is very knowledgable of the details of "Ike's" life in retirement and they help convey the strong quiet dignity and character the man held up until he passed away. It was very interesting to explore his life transitioning into the presidency and then retirement with this beautiful farmscape as the back drop. It was a period of history we knew nothing about.

Enjoyed seeing the actual vehicles and farm equipment the Eisenhowers used while in residence although they are poorly displayed as they are locked up behind enclosures or garage doors with small windows. It would be great to have them out in the open as they appear to be in excellent condition. There is a quite nice gift and bookshop on site as well.

Also loved the old TVs, radios and phones throughout the house as well as the extensive collection of Mamie's knick knacks.

However, what is really compelling is the magnificent farm land bordering the Gettysburg battlefield. Truly a crown jewel of preservation.

This beautiful site speaks volumes about the true integrity and character of Ike, that he would want this left to the people to enjoy in perpetuity. It confirms that he was much more than a great military leader.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

You have to get the bus from the Visitors Center to get here. The interesting thing is that the website only notes two buses- 10 am and 2 pm. In reality buses leave every half hour. I am not sure why the disparity but it is worth the visit. The Park Rangers do programs every 30 - 60 minutes and they are excellent. The cost is very reasonable- less then $8.00.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Another must to see if you go to Gettysburg. Better for couples.
Small children will not find this as interesting as adults.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Plastic figurines from a cereal box on display. Very average structure and furnishings. Nothing historic happened here really. Beautiful vista. Nice retirement home but stairs to bedrooms. Boring.