“Awesome place, but could have been more organized.”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #13 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“Awesome place, but could have been more organized.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I loved the farnsworth! My husband and I, stayed in the Belle Boyd room. Loved it! The room was beautiful and the jacuzzi tub was awesome! We had to ask for service a lot because I guess it was the "off season" and staff must have been limited. If you are the type of person that depends on service or things to be explained in great detail, this is not the place for you. We were pretty much on our own, which I didn't mind, and had to figure things out on our own. Don't get me wrong, Natalie at the front desk was very accomodating when we asked or needed something, but we had to ask. Nothing was really explained in great detail, and if we hadn't looked at what activities were going on in the house during our stay, we wouldn't have known. However, when I did find out what things were available she was very prompt on getting it set-up. The tour guide Jim was excellent and very informative! You couldn't ask for a better guide! If you are into the paranormal, like we are, he has many stories to tell! The tour of the house was awesome! During our trip through the attic, my fully charged camera suddenly went dead. I thought it was odd, but didn't pay a lot of attention to it. When we returned to the room, I went to charge it and it was back to full charge. I thought that was odd. That place is def active! We had a ghost hunt our second night, and Jim was our guide once again. We used some of our own equipment, which included a motion detector, ghost box and some other things. The motion detector went off on its own three times in the attic where the ghost of a dead soldier is suppose to roam. It also went off in the basement when I asked the spirit of "LANE" to walk in front of it. He did not let me down because as soon as I asked the motion detector went off and Jim's flashlight turned on! We caught some e.v.p's also, but I must say the attic and basement were the most active, in my opinion. The location was great because we got to walk to most of the sites. We met a lot of helpful, interesting people on our stay. We met Spooky from Gettysburg paranormal, who offered to show us how to use our equipment, which was nice. We also met a girl named Ally who seemed to work a lot of places in town, including the Farnsworth, and without her we wouldn't have found most of the places we wanted to see! Overall, I loved the place and I think the service is probably better during the "in season" which is from April to October I think... They forgot we were staying the first morning because they had the dining room locked and no breakfast was made for us. I called one of the numbers on our door in the room and she quickly remedied the situation by telling us where to go to eat a great breakfast, and she picked up the tab. I was fine with that and I thought that was nice of them to fix the mistake without hesitation. Like I said, if you are someone that prefers hotel-like-service, or a well-organized establishment... this might not be the place for you. But If you like being left alone, privacy, history and the paranormal you will love it here! The journals in the rooms are a great touch. And the staff we did see, we thought were wonderful and kind. We were served breakfast the second day, and it was wonderful. We will def be back...but I think it will be when there is more staff and more things to do. February isn't the best time of year to visit.

Room Tip: If you are couples on a vacation, choose the Belle Boyd room or the Lincoln room for there awesom ja...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lori B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Harrisburg
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I initially heard about The Farnsworth House Inn, in historic Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, through the Sci-Fy channel's "Ghost Hunters,"and have always intended a visit, so during my jaunt through the area, I made a point of stopping in to see the place first hand, and booking at least one night there, to experience my inner "Para-Norman,"and wander the hallways, of the oldest part, of the Inn, with its sumptuous Victorian decor, and my trusty camera in hand, to record some of the most interesting
occurrences, along my travels throughout South-Central PA. Besides this though, is the history behind it, where Confederate snipers took up residence in the attic, and to this day are still caught in Limbo, with the sounds of boots treading the stairways, and faint voices reaching out from the other side, as if I was a Time Traveler, hearing faint and distant echoes, from the past. Lincoln's Procession passed before this establishment, on his way to giving one of the most historic speeches of all time, "The Gettysburg Address." I wish to go back again, as if a sacred pilgrim's journey, where passions ran high, and those drawn to this historic touchstone in history, may meet again, with those who still remain, re-enacting the ultimate sacrifice, over and over...

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Walter W
Baltimore Maryland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

First off I wanna say after reading all the past reviews I was a little worried about staying here. BUTAfter staying the night I will say... This place is Great!!! The staff was friendly and very informative about the local interests. Our Night began with a nice meal at Sweeny's pub. Then we did the ghost hunt. We had the inn to our selves with our friends. We stayed in the Macfarlane room. The tour guide Jim offered to do some hunting in our rooms. Jim put a Maglite on the floor and asked if one of the ghosts would turn the light on after asking a few different names Like Jeremy or Sissy to turn the light on It came on. At the exact same time our meters all went to the higher side of the activity reading. After that we were tired and went to bed. We heard a few noises during the night. My wife heard someone walk up the steps and heard Keys on o key chain rattling.Then at 630 am I heard what sounded like someone peeing in a toilet. Our friends room was at the other end so it was not them. Our friends room was the Sara Black. They heard footsteps with someone with hard heels. The next morn my friend steve stepped on a jack that somehow ended up on his floor. We then had our included breakfast and the service was Awesome! and the food was very good!!. all in all I would love to come back to the Farnsworth house again. Jack and Toni

Room Tip: Macfarlane Room is away from the main room. Hardly heard any cars.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Biker50
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Myself and 6 friends stayed here this past weekend for my sisters bridal party trip. We have been to Gettysburg before, but never stayed overnight so the Farnsworth House was our first choice. We made our reservations 4 months in advance. Carrie in the office was phenomenal with helping me plan everything we wanted to do from the ghost tours to dinner reservations. We stayed in the Jenny Wade, Schultz and the Custer rooms. We were allowed to check in early, and the rooms smelled so clean and fresh. They had extra towels and chocolates on the beds. There was a small bar in the garden serving everything from hot toddys to hot mulled cider and there is a fire pit to sit around. Its lovely. We did have an incident at dinner involving a rude teenage hostess. Now, my sister is a marine who has not only served tours in Iraq and Afghanistan but she has also served very successfully at some of the finer restaurants in our hometown. The reservations were for 7, at 7:20 my sister went to find someone. She asked the first busboy we saw, and apparently the hostess did not like that. She came out kind of huffy and told us we should just go back to the outside bar and wait because she didnt know how much longer it was going to be. Ok, cool. The mulled ciders were great. We checked back in about 15 mins later and the group was leaving. Great! My aunt asked if we should gather up everyone else and the hostess slowly, as if speaking to a child, told her that she had to put out 7 plates, 7 cups, 7 knives, 7 spoons, 7 forks, just went on like that. My aunts jaw dropped. These bed and breakfasts Im sure provide excellent job opportunities for area youths so Im sure there are plenty of other kids who would jump at the chance to work there. Maybe she was having a bad night, but when you are representing a place like The Farnsworth House you have to have your game face on. We spoke to the manager who handled it BEAUTIFULLY. She actually stayed and talked to us at the table about our stay for a couple extra mins. I wish I could remember her name. I believe she sent the hostess home early that night. I have 3 kids who wouldnt dare talk to an adult like that, so hopefully it worked out for the better. Breakfast was completely different. We were greeted by Kaylas smiling face. She was so warm and friendly. The food was amazing. The waffles were so light and fluffy, with fresh strawberries and cream. Breakfast was definitely my favorite meal during our stay. It was just what we needed after one too many ciders in the garden the previous night. I cant wait to stay again!

Room Tip: a few creepy noises occured in the jenny wade room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Megan F
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The amount of history surrounding this property is amazing. The owner provided a private tour for my myself and my husband which was so informative. This man has more Civil War knowledge and stories than anyone I've ever met. This family has devoted their lives to the town of Gettysburg and to this house. Not sure if people who are rating this Inn poorly are aware of the amount of history, artifacts and original antiques that are in this house. Far, far more than you are going to find at a "cookie cutter" motel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cintim2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I've been to Gettysburg numerous times and have always grabbed food at the Farnsworth Inn and have always wanted to stay there. I looked at the prices and was surprised how affordable it was especially since it's located in the heart of the town within walking distance of almost anything. They also have a parking lot which I found very good. Breakfast was delicious, served in the garden. I didn't know much about the rooms when booking so it turned out that the room I picked, the Jennie Wade room wasn't in the actual house which was somewhat disappointing since I was excited to stay at a 'haunted' bed & breakfast. Make sure to lock your door! Sometimes the customers think your room is actually the bed room, that happened once and we did not make that mistake again. The rooms were very cute and cozy. All together, I would stay there again and certainly suggest it to anyone wanting to stay in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: If I had my choice I would stay in a room in the actual Farnsworth Inn. The Jennie Wade room is not...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank random_chibi13
Indianapolis
Reviewed 13 September 2013

First of all I have to admit that I did not do enough research on this place before making our reservation. So, I take some of the responsiblilty for my dissapointment.
With that being said... I hate to say that this place gets a thumbs down in the aspect of being a bed & breakfast. Let alone a haunted b & b. Let's see... where do I start? The price for our room was about $212 for one night. Checking in was a joke. Though we were allowed to check in early, it was a good thing. Because it took about 45 minutes to get it done. The one person who was doing the reservations was also taking calls, giving others info about Farnsworth activities, making new reservations, checking us in, and giving orders to other employees. She took about five phone calls during our check in. When we got the keys she had someone show us how to DRIVE to our room. WTF!!! When I made the reservation she did say that the room was not part of the main house. However, I thought that meant it was at the back of the house. Not a 1/4 mile drive down a gravel road. And I am not exagerating. Our room was part of a converted warehouse type bldg. It was a large room with a huge full kitchen. The bedroom was downstairs with no a/c. You had to go upstairs to the kitchen and the bathroom was right next to the frig. The window a/c was upstairs. They did have a fan to help circulate air downstairs. The bed was nice and comfy. That is really important to my gf. The floors were really dirty. I threw away my socks due to how dirty they were. The shower had a rotten food smell in it. No, it was well water smell either. I think someone was eating in there before we checked in (haha). Oh, I can't forget to mention the mouse traps we found in the room. And yes, they were set. We meandered around the Farnsworth area quite a bit. We would ask questions about the place to those who worked there. The most common answer we got was, "I don't know." Really??? I would think as famous as this place is, that they would be able to answer questions. We PAID for a visit to the cellar where it is reported to have paranormal activity. Yes, I am a believer. What about it? Though I think we got took again. The breakfast was bland and unimpressive. Though it was not the typical muffins & fruit stuff you get a other b & b's. I will say that I would not stay here again. But this is my/our opinion. If any advice I could give to others would be to make sure your room is in the main part of the house. They also have rooms right next to the restaurant where it is high traffic area with employees and general public. Gettysburg itself was alot of fun. A bit over commercializied. But once you get past that. You will enjoy yourself. It's kinda like a smaller version of Gatlinburg. With some real history behind it. Their mature tour / ghost stories time. Just not worth the $11 pp. All they do is tell the same stories with cursing. Big deal. Honestly, I get that language from my girlfriend all the time for free :)

Enjoy Gettysburg. Now we are off to St. Maarteen.

Room Tip: Be sure your room is in the main part of the house.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple