“Love it <3”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #13 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My girlfriend and I have stayed at the Farnsworth twice and will be going again next month. Check in was fine, and the staff seemed friendly. We originally stayed in the Sweeney room. I loved the old school decor. It was a tiny room, but I think that adds to the charm. Was a little surprised however to see that there was no door to the bathroom (just a curtain). We were excited to see if anything paranormal would happen to us. The only thing that happened was I felt extreme pressure on my chest all night. I brought this up during check out and was told that "it was Mr. Sweeney". Apparently, he likes choking women in that room (could have told us that during check in). I enjoyed reading the logs in the room which shared other guests experiences. We ate at the tavern and the food was really tasty. The second time we stayed there, we stayed in the Schultz room. Was a lot larger than the Sweeney room. It was nice, and we didn't have an issue with the banging door. I guess our bed was far enough away that we didn't really hear it. No paranormal experiences in our room, however we did a paranormal night (where they open the whole inn up to a small group to explore). We did have some cool stuff happen, like a small flashlight turn on and off by itself while we were in the attack, as well as in the basement. Breakfast was good, and there was no problem getting a table or anything. I would like to point out that the farnsworth also is in a great location, and we have visited the cupcake place across the street a few times :) We are staying again in Sweeney next month and I can't wait. Only complaint is that it is a little on the pricey side.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main house.
There are newer reviews for Farnsworth House Inn

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This town seems to be turning to ghosts instead of civil war but everyone has to make money. We did have an experience of someone that kept ripping the blanket off bed over and over again and I just gave up and left it on ground after about 6 rips. We had the front sarah room and it is very noisy from the road but the room was very cool. I asked for the ac to be removed from window because it was chilly outside and they said no one was there to take an ac out. It takes two seconds and takes a third grade education to remove. Otherwise the staff was very nice and accommodating. I think the surrounding area is the ghetto but the civil war sites are cool and the town should go back to history and leave the ghosts alone.

Room Tip: lock your car and have a few drinks before bed so you dont hear the idiot with the coffee can on his...
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We paid $220 for a single night in the Lincoln Room - hot tub suite...it was all the time we had to enjoy a brief honeymoon. The rooms are absolutely beautiful and romantic! We arrived, filled the tub, then took a nap. There is no sleeping here prior to 10 pm.!! The server door is right outside ours. It BANGED a minimum of 4 times PER MINUTE. This is NOT an exaggeration! How very stressful and upsetting!! The Belle Boyd and another hot tub room are on the other side, they are the better rooms, to be sure! We wanted belle boyd but it was booked. Was told this was the nicest. The temperature was WARM all night...never did cool off. We ate on the patio, right by the waterfall, across from the band. Loved it. The only downfall of dinner here? They allow dogs (yes, it barked loudly) and smokers on the "band side" of the patio- the noisy side, near the street. We talked to a manager about the smoking, he said, "Yeah, they're allowed to smoke there, nothing we can do." How about CHANGE YOUR SMOKING POLICY! If I was eating my meal, I would have insisted on a refund, but the smelly smoker started after we had finished eating. If we weren't "high" from marriage adrenaline, this would have been a total bummer of a trip - and WHAT A SHAME! We loved the room and the meal - wonderful! Just a LOT of small things to dampen the fun!

Room Tip: Belle Boyd or the other hot tub room on that side. Lincoln was ours, and beside us was I think the J...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sherry G
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed there two nights ago 6-4-2014) expecting a great experience. Well it was not. The room was very noisy with all the traffic going by but I won't hold that against them. The room was also very warm and uncomfortable even though we had a window fitted AC unit. What did irritate us the most was that the last ghost hunt in the attic didn't leave until 12:45am. THAT was very, very inconsiderate to us and all that stayed there considering the attic was right above us. And prevented us from effectively conducting our own investigation. We were not happy to say the least. The bed was also VERY creaky but some may like that. We did have some REM-POD activity in the bathroom area and at the foot of our bed. And some other minor paranormal experiences. But overall not happy :(

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank erj175pilot
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I generally dislike b and bs and this was no exception. No hot water, two towels for two people and crappy beds but you get what you pay for, right? I had hoped for better after the hype I received from the bartender in the pub but was really disappointed in the room, which was clean but claustrophobic and smelly. Breakfast was okay in the morning. All in all, I would stay in a chain hotel before I stayed here again as this was just so off.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phoebe
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here because I wanted to stay at a haunted bed and breakfast. I have to say I was so disappointed in the place. My room the Jennie Wade room stunk with mold. The couch in the room was wet and stained. I felt like I couldn't breath in that room. The noise was horrible we couldn't even sleep from slamming doors to the bar next to our room. We wanted to eat in the Inn and couldn't because it was booked with outsiders. If you are paying that kind of money to stay guest should be able to eat in the dining room. The food was not very good our breakfast that was free was horrible. I could hear other guest complaining about the service and the noise. I did although love the outside bar that was the only thing I loved. I usually don't write bad reviews although I feel compeled to. I will post the pictures of the wet couch also our TV didn't work and they didn't seem to care to fix it. Very horrible experience

5  Thank gingerandrich
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I love this bed and breakfast. Everyone is so nice and helpful. So far I've stayed in the McFarlane Room, Eisenhower, Jennie Wade, Longstreet (No longer there), and Sweeney Room. The McFarlane room was really active during my November stay - The bed shook, voices, and I even heard a xylophone being played on the floor by the window. Woke up the next day and Jeremy's name from a drawing on the door to his room (Where the sun room used to be) was laying in front of our door - If you stay in the room I recorded the event in the journal left in the room for guests to read about and record experiences that occurred. My family and I have also had frequent experiences in the Eisenhower Room. The house is right in the middle of the town, you get a complimentary breakfast in the morning, but there's no internet. I recommend you at least staying in this house once when stopping in Gettysburg.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family