“Sara Black Room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Sara Black Room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed at this establishment due to the historical significance of the building, and also thought it would be somewhat exciting to stay in a purported 'very haunted' room. The room itself is very tiny (you must expect this though, as it is in the original portion of the building, and has been unaltered), and the décor appears to be original mid-19th century. Very cool to look at all the original artifacts and fixtures. First thing to mention - the room is very LOUD. The small window a/c unit makes a constant and tremendous noise, then occasionally kicks into high gear, and vibrates, which jolted me awake at least 6 times during the night. There is very little frontage on the lot, and you directly facing Baltimore St - one of the busiest streets in the city. Late night traffic along with the a/c unit kept me awake until well after 3:00. Woke up at 5:32 when I heard 2 knocks at the door, and no one was there. The next few hours there was a lot of creaking of floorboards, a few knocks and even some dragging sounds. Not sure of the origin of these sounds - may be from other guests getting up early.....who knows? I was also in the bathroom shortly after I arrived, and heard a loud thud come from somewhere very close by, which startled me a bit and put a smile on my face......the nighttime sounds were more annoying than scary, however. I just wanted to get some sleep. I was booked for another night, but had to relocate to the Travelodge down the road, as I couldn't fathom two nights in a row of no sleep. Unfortunately, this resulted in me paying an extra $150 for a new room, as I was not offered a reduction/discount/refund due to the noise issue that made me relocate (To be fair - I didn't ask for one....I just chalked it up to a bad decision on my part to book two nights) The other rooms in the Farnsworth House are likely much better, as they are away from the busy street, and probably have an a/c unit that works better. The rest of the property is very unique, and worth exploring. Friendly staff, too. Breakfast was good. As for me.....I'm glad I stayed one night, but would not go back. If you are a paranormal seeker and that is what you desire, I highly recommend staying. If you are looking to book a room where you want to kick back and relax, it will not happen. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank davem412
GettBandB, Director of Sales at Farnsworth House Inn, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank You for staying with us. I am sorry to hear that you had issues with the noise in your room. The Sara Black room is our most popular room and indeed it is located in the front of the property facing Baltimore Street so the noise level is a bit more than in other portions of the house. I wish you had brought your concerns with the noise to the attention of the office staff . We would have been happy to move you to another room . We value and appreciate our customers and strive to provide each guest with an amazing experience. I am sorry we fell short with your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Berlin, Deutschland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed just 1 night at the Farnsworth Inn and that was 1 night too much!!! We booked the Custer Room in advance and it was a huge disappointment. First of all the room is located next to the garden, I.e. You can't open any curtains let alone the window until the garden closes at 11pm if you don't want any other guests sitting in your room! When we entered the room was dark ( only 1 window ), cold and smelled dusty, after a short look the complete room seemed kind of filthy. On the floor a very old fake fur carpet which might lay there since the days of the battle ( it looked as if so! ), the bed cover which is shown on the official fotos also needs an urgent cleaning. The blanket on the bed had some moths holes ( you don't want to sleep under that! ) , the bed sheets looked more than crumpled ( hopefully they weren't just not pressed ), the mattress also has seen better days..... And I don't want to talk about all the cobwebs hanging from various places in the room! We have stayed in various historic Inns on the Cape and in NY State during the last days and each of them was excellent and I am really not picky, but the Farnsworth was not worth the money! $ 170 for a night is not a bargain regarding the condition of the house, the whole place including the breakfast room feels filthy and needs an urgent fresh up! Breakfast was ok and we had a very attentive and nice waitress named Kayla who immediately wrote everything down and informed someone from housekeeping about our complaints. Even that lady told us then that this horrible rug on the floor needs to be removed ( she had told the owner before she told us!). Thank god we just had to stay 1 night.....never again at the Farnsworth Inn! Do yourself a favor and read all the negative comments before you book this place! There are lots of other nice places in Gettysburg you can stay at!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MEH1707
GettBandB, Director of Sales at Farnsworth House Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
I am not sure how to respond to this review. It is unfortunate that nothing was said about any of the problems this couple incurred until check out. It is true that this room is located outside in our Garden Area and we do serve dinner out there so you will see Guests from your window. As far as the list of other things named here I am unclear as to why they would choose to spend the night if they felt the room was less that what they paid for, We are here to be of service to our guests and if these issues would have been brought to our attention as soon as they arose we would have worked to rectify them quickly. We have a wonderful staff of housekeepers who work hard to keep this beautiful historic property in great condition. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations. We obviously can not please everyone all the time but we will continue to strive to provide an excellent experience for our guests.
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I just stayed at the Farnsworth Inn and enjoyed every minute there. The Inn was lovely. We stayed in the Lincoln room,which was delightful.First night a little spooky as I experienced some foot steps at late night in the room,thought my husband was walking around in the room,only to find him fast asleep.however we still enjoyed the room.The dinning was excellent,food was great,staff was friendly and helpful. 2 staff members stuck in my mind as excellent,they were Kayla and Stella....what delightful women,they were excellent at their jobs and soo delightful to be a round...Good Job Ladies,hope you both get a bonus,you deserve it.I would recommend staying here,it was a Great Visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debbie P
Thank You for the excellent review. The Lincoln Room is one of our Deluxe Guest rooms and one of our most popular. I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience for both breakfast and dinner. Kayla and Stella are great servers and a real asset to our business. Thank you for your business and I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at the Farnsworth House inn on July 29th -30th. First time we stayed in a B & B let alone a haunted place. Me and my husband stayed in the McFarland Room while my kids stayed in the Sweney Room. The McFarland rooms bed was very hard and extremely tall (good thing they had a step ladder or i wouldn't of been able to get on it) AC worked well in both rooms. Breakfast was good. Have a choice of eggs, waffles, or pancakes...all come with bacon/sausage and home fries. If it's your first time coming to Gettysburg (like it was for us) you will get a little confused on where you check in...if you go to the parking lot in back there is a gate you go through and than to your right is the B&B check in. Check in was no problem. They showed us to our rooms and told us where and when breakfast is (8-9:30) Even though neither room we occupied experienced any real paranormal activity it was pretty cool trying. My only real complaint is ...if you are a guest at the B&B ..i think they should be able to experience the whole room without paying extra for a ghost tour. I really wanted to go to the attic and see what kind of activity was us there if any but we were not willing to shell out an extra $200 (for the 4 of us) for a whole house ghost hunt. we did go on a ghost hunt that the Farnsworth did but to us it was very lame and we previously did a ghost hunt with a different company which was far better than Farnsworth . All and all our experience with the Inn was great and we are going to go up next year maybe even bringing more people with us and see if we can experience any ghosts.

Room Tip: If you want to try and get a paranormal experience get the rooms that in the main house
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank You for your review. It is always great to hear when a guest has a great experience. At the present time we do not offer any packages for Ghost Tours but that is certainly food for thought. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Freehold, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I made a reservation here and then had to cancel it for health reasons more than 3 months in advance. First of all they billed the entire stay to my credit card 3 months before my stay. Then they said they would cancel it and give me a credit and they billed me again plus a $100 cancelation fee, over $900 they owe me. Really you ask, Really true. They have not called me back to fix it and I would absolutey steer really clear of this poorly managed excuse for a B&B.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank John W
I was very upset when I read this review. There are a few things that are correct here and a few that are not so I feel the need to clarify, This gentleman did indeed book a reservation. Our policy at the Inn is that full payment is required for a reservation at the time of booking so we did charge his card as we would any guest. He did indeed cancel the reservation and he was charged a $35.00 cancellation fee , not $100.00 as was stated in the review. There was an error made in refunding his reservation but as soon as it was brought to our attention it was corrected and a phone call and email were sent apologizing for the error, I am extremely sorry this happened and again I extend an apology to this guest for the error,
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We did not stay the night at the Inn but did partake in having a quick lunch on the patio of this beautiful establishment. Our server was prompt at coming to our table and taking our order. Our food came to us in a reasonable time and tasted very good. My wife found her new drink here called Angry Orchard Apple Cider. It's actually quite good.

Unfortunately I did see where they have a little waterfall and flowing water a rat go in and out of the rocks. Myself was not bothered as it is about five feet below us, but my wife was a little freaked out. Luckily we did not see this critter on the level were we were eating. Phew!!!

Our experience of the restaurant side of this Inn was very pleasant. (with the exception of the rat)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Leamer
Lake Grove, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here when went to Gettysburg for the fact it was "haunted" we had the Custer room. The room itself along with most of the rooms are made to be period pieces, full of vintage items, beds and furniture to get the 1800's feel. We didn't see any ghosts however the people in the room next to us claim to have video of their stuff being moved around in their sleep. Food was ok and slept alright, you do get outside noise being close to the street and garden so a heads up.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms upstairs in the main building.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family