“loved it”

Farnsworth House Inn
Ranked #13 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 December 2004

My husband and I stayed in the Jennie Wade room in October 2003 we loved it. I am an extreme ghost fanatic and couldn't wait to stay in the haunted room but I had no expectations of seeing or hearing anything. But boy was I wrong. I came up with the idea of placing a tape recorder next to the bed, as a joke, to see if i'd capture voices while we slept. My husband thought I was crazy. We didn't listen to the tape until we arrived home and we were shocked. There is nothing but silence through the first hour or so of the tape then all of the sudden you hear what sounds like footsteps, then whispering from a child - we have no children, then I take a deep breath as if I'm being roused from sleep, you can then here a womans voice say " There sleeping what's keeping them here?" a child whispers again then theres a thump on the recorder. It only lasts about 2 minutes but it gives us and everyone who hears it the chills. So if your brave enough stay there If I would have heard that before sleeping there I would have left. But we did book the Sara Black room for this October.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 6 October 2004

WOW! My daughter (16) and I stayed at the Farnsworth, and LOVED IT. It was everything we expected, and more. I found the food and the service to be excellent. It was fun to chat with other house guests at meal times, to share our "haunting" experiences. We stayed there for 4 nights. The resident ghosts were delightful.
I plan on visiting again.
Barbara Smith

6  Thank Smith0107
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed 14 September 2004

Visited Gettysburg for the first time this 4th of July weekend and had made reservations on-line for 4 of us to have dinner at the Farnsworth House to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Food was outstanding (especially the spoon bread & pumpkin fritters) but when we arrived the hostess was unable to find any record of our reservations. It turned out that they had an open table to accomodate us, but what the heck? It was a special day and the whole situation was a bit embarassing for my husband & I in front of our dinner guests.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 September 2004

We arrived at the Farnsworth House a bit early, so we took a 2.5 hour guided tour of the battlefield. This was outstanding and our guide (Ed Guy) is very knowledgeable. We checked in at the Farnsworth House at 3 pm and found the lady at the bookstore to be very helpful and friendly. We checked into the Sweeney Room and found it to be very small (9' by 12') in size. The bathroom didn't have a door on it and you had to swing a couple of cloth curtains across the entrance way to provide some sense of privacy. The room didn't leave a positive impression so we walked around the town for a while to make the most of it. At 6pm, we decided to eat at the Tavern right on the grounds of the Farnsworth House. The food was plentiful, very good in quality and the service was excellent, since there were only a few of us in the restaurant at the time. After many hours of travel, we decided to retire at 10 pm. Two different groups of people toured the house between 10 and 11pm. We think they might have been part of the ghost tours, or groups from the restaurant below. Their noise was very disruptive to our attempted sleep, but the worst was yet to come. Outside our room, 10 feet down the stairway, was a grand father clock. It chimed every 15 minutes. This, combined with the noise of the street traffic outside our window, did not allow us to get more than 30 minutes of sleep the entire night!! I even got up at 1 am to try to turn the chimes off, but the key to the clock was no where to be found. Exhuasted from the lack of sleep, we left the next day at 8:30 am, after a very nice breakfast. So if you like to spend $135 for 30 minutes of sleep, then book the Sweeney room at the Farnsworth the next time you are in Gettysburg. If not, you might want to eat here, but not sleep here. Oh yeah, ..... no ghosts were sighted. Good marketing got us here once, but not again.

12  Thank suite1004
Industry, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 September 2004

My husband and I have been visiting Gettysburg since our honeymoon in 1990. It's not unusual for us to make 3 or 4 trips a year to this civil war town. We absolutely love it! In the 14 years since we've been coming to Gettysburg, we've never had a bad experience...until this last trip.

I have always wanted to eat in the garden at the Farnsworth Inn, but for some reason, we just never did. This trip, we finally had a chance to eat there. What a mistake! I ordered the "Chicken Pot Pie". I don't know how they can call it that since it isn't a pie at all. It was noodles on a plate with chunks of chicken and slices of potatoes. The quality of the food was poor, as was the portions served. My husband had a ham and cheese sandwich. The bill was nearly $18.00. We had to ask for our check, and then it took another 30 minutes to get our change because the waitress disappeared with our money. We eventually had to go and find her. I will never eat there again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed 30 July 2004

We stayed in the Eisenhower room and the room was very nice. Breakfast was excellent and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The furnishings are nice but somewhat bizarre as well. Our room featured frogs.
We went to the tavern during a "sing-a-long" which was excellent - ask them to do "Danny Boy"! The waitress at the tavern seemed to be having some personal problems. We had to seat ourselves. She was dour and never waited on us at all even after making eye contact. We had to convince the bartender to serve us against the house rules after we had been there 30 minutes with no waitress.
The Inn is very close and convenient to the attractions. We did the Inn's Ghost Walk and the Mourning Theater. The theater was good but they try to fit too many people into a small space. The walk wasn't very good, IMO. The guide wasn't very practiced and was hard to hear over the constant roar of incredibly loud Harleys (and, no, it wasn't during a "Bike Week"). Maybe they need a noise ordinace or to enforce one if they already have it. Beware - after our Ghost Tour the guide made a rather blatant appeal for tips which I found rude. He actually passed a hat after everyone was locked into the attic for the finale! That's brass!!
The National Park (battlefield) is nice but the other tourist traps are becoming increasingly cheesy. Some shops are nice, many others are full of chintzy crap souvenirs. In the evening you can't walk 10 feet without one of the dozen or so "Ghost Story" companies trying to get you to take their tour. Also, the groups are too large and they force other pedestrians into the roadway when they stop on the narrow sidewalk in front of various sites.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2004

In spite of some of the reviews here we decided to try eating at the Farnsworth House. What a mistake. Although the service was admirable, what arrived on my plate was inedible! My husband and I both ordered pot roast - but some form of unidentified plastic meat covered in cold gravy arrived on the table -- needless to say that's where it stayed! And it was not cheap by any means. There are much better places to eat. Stay away.

8  Thank Espomull