“Very Nice Hotel with Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of James Gettys Hotel

James Gettys Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Waterloo, Illinois
“Very Nice Hotel with Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2008

A very nice hotel (more hotel than B&B since there are no common areas, no common breakfast, etc) in a great location. The hotel is maintained in outstanding condition -- the period decor (we stayed in the Union Hotel Suite) is far better than any boxy modern hotel. The continental breakfast was tasty as were the cookies. Only slight disappointment was the expectation that the breakfast would have been prepared/delivered the morning it was to be eaten. By the time we checked in at 5PM, the breakfast, including fruit/orange juice/bread/pastries were already in the room encased in plastic wrap. While this worked out ok (everything was still good other than the fresh canteloupe slices that were soggy after a night in the refrigerator), it did take away from the atmosphere I was trying to create for my wife (first night in a nice place without the teenagers in a long time).

All in all, a very nice place with pleasant staff. We may return or may try a more traditional B&B on our next trip.

• Liked — History/decor of Hotel and Location
  • Disliked — In-room continental breakfast was prepared/delivered the afternoon before it was to be eaten and left under plastic wrap in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Huh1965

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Zelienople, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2008

We just spent 2 nights here (Memorial Day weekend). We were on the 4th floor overlooking the street. The suite was very large, especially the sitting area. The kitchenette was great, as was the continental breakfast of blueberry muffins, fruit and oj. We got cookies one night and chocolate the second night. The chocolate was fabulous.
Our only complaint was street noise on Saturday night - lots of motorcycles vrooming down the street.
My sister had another suite on the 4th floor and their room overlooked a patio from the bar next door. It was extremely noisy on Saturday night.
Overall, we loved the hotel. It's very convenient to shops and restaurants - no need to drive everywhere. Just don't book a suite next to the patio bar if you go in the summer on a Saturday night!

• Liked — Suite hotel with great location
  • Disliked — price and noise
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura1956
Westminster, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2008

This is a B&B/suite hotel hybrid. You get the warmth and charm of a B&B with the comfort and style of a suite hotel. The rooms were clean with new carpet. The quality muffins, juice and gourmet coffee left in the room were great for those of us who like their breakfast in their room. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The best part is you get to stay in the heart of Gettysburg instead of on the outskirts so you are within walking distance of many of the sites.

Some people may not like the noise of the town at night, but you always need to be prepared whenever you stay at any hotel for unexpected noises. This is not quite a B&B and not a cookie cutter chain hotel so this place may not be for everyone.

We stayed in the Zeigler Holtzworth Livery Suite that faced the back of the hotel to minimize street noise as advised by another Tripadvisor.com traveler. We loved our suite. This suite would be good for a family since it had a day bed with a pull out trundle bed which would be enough for one to two children.

• Liked — The room and hotel location
  • Disliked — Matress and room lighting
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jakewestminster
Proctorville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2008

My husband and I stayed here the week of July 4, 2007. This hotel was very nice. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The turn down service including the fresh fruit and breads were exceptional. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. It was perfect.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mbias
Princeton, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

Very nice place to stay!!!!! I would definitely recommend this hotel. The muffins, breads and fruits were a very nice touch that they leave you at night for the next morning for breakfast. We loved coming back to the room in the evening to see what they had left us. It was all homemade and very delicious. The turndown service at night was so nice and they would wash your dishes if you had left any there during the day. The bed was very comfortable. We were fortunate enough to stay on the 4 th floor, so we really wasnt bothered by the street noise. The room was clean and decorated beautifully. Very convienent to all the stores and restaurants nearby. I will definitely be staying here again in the future!!!

• Liked — felt very personal, only 12 suites
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank diana24740
Poconos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2006

I've stayed at the James Gettys several times over the past few years and I've never been disappointed. Because I visit the town often, I've had to stay in other hotels/inns when availability dictated, and each of those times, I've left feeling like something was missing from my trip. No other area establishment compares to this lovely hotel - it truly feels ike home from the moment you enter your suite.

The staff is friendly and welcoming, and it's evident their first priority is for the comfort and well-beng of their guests. The delicious breads and pastries that are delivered to each suite each evening are always fresh - they are intended, along with the juice and fruit that accompany them , for the guests' breakfast, but they've never made it through the night in our room!
The suites are spotless and spacious, each consisting of a living room, kitchenette, separate bedroom and ensuite bath. The linens and towels are luxurious, as are the bath amenities - I found the sewing kit (thoughtfully added to the soap basket) a life saver when I lost a button on my way to dinner! The kitchenettes are well-stocked with everything from serving platters to wine glasses, and special attention is given to reflect the changing seasons: fresh apple cider in the fall, bright flowers on the butter dish in spring, even spicy Christmas teas in the winter. It's these little touches that keep us coming back time after time.

Refined and spotless as they are, the suites do have a comfortable feel that keep guests from having reservations about bringing children. The hotel manages to feel "lived in" without suggesting shabbiness in the least. Indeed, kids of all ages are most welcome here and the added space helps to keep the little ones from going stir crazy. Centrally located, one could spent days without having to move their car - nearly everything is within an easy walk from the front door.

I highly recommend visiting in the winter. The hotel runs excellent, economical specials during the winter months, with discounted rates on the rooms and additional discounts for multiple night stays. Christmastime in Gettysburg is a wonderful treat, and a stay at the James Gettys Hotel makes it all the more special.

• Liked — The comfort and hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — 2nd floor suites have very high ceilings - make the suites feel even larger.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
9 Thank pawriter
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2006

I stayed at the James Gettys Hotel in August. I booked a 4th floor room but then was put in the 2nd floor Union Suite room. I didn't appreciate not being given the room I had booked. I would have thought they would have contacted me before I got there if the room I booked wasn't available. Or at least asked if I wanted to cancel or be given another room.

For customer service, you need to ring a bell as nobody was ever at the desk. The hours were 7:30am-10:30pm.

Parking was in a back alley and a slip was given to place on the dashboard.

My room had filthy carpets. The entrance to the room and to the bathroom were black. The carpet was to be beige. The condition is either to a lack of cleaning as I noticed selective vacuuming in the room or just a lack of upkeep.

The refrigerator had fingerprints and a white film on the door. Under the sofa were food wrappers. A kitchen drawer had a dirty fork on top of a pot holder. It was not hidden but obviously housekeeping isn't very attentive.

Breakfast consisted of a muffin, or a slice of bread. I got a few grapes to go along with this and a small glass of orange juice.

I expected more from the write up of the hotel. The location was convenient to Lincoln Square and a short walk to the tours and National Cemetery. It was also walking distance to the Dobbin House.

My room was noisy from the cafe/bar next door. There was a patio right under my window and the patrons were there till 12am. Then above my bedroom was the bathroom of the room on the 3rd floor. So I heard the plumbing of a shower and every flush.

After the first night of the turn down service, my door was left wide open when I returned at 8pm. The service was at 5pm. So they left my door unlocked and open for 3 hours. nothing was stolen from my room but when I leave the hotel with a locked door, I expect to return to it locked.

The issues I encountered with the hotel are unacceptable for a return visit.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled solo