“Comfy and great location!”
Review of James Gettys Hotel

James Gettys Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We came here based on a 2 night groupon gift bought for us. The hotel is right in the center of town allowing you to park your car in their parking lot and walk to most attractions. The room was clean, large and comfy. I only wish they had queen or king size beds. However, it had a nice little kitchenette with a stove, coffee maker, refrigerator, etc. We received a large welcome tray of cheeses, crackers and fruit, which was lovely. At night, we received home baked cookies for the evening. Each eve we also received a basket of home baked bread, muffins and fruit, as well as a carafe of orange juice for breakfast. A small pitcher of milk was given to use with our morning coffee (also provided).

My only complaint about our stay was the noise outside our windows late at night. We asked for a room in the rear of the hotel because of the reviews that mentioned the street noise. However, the rear rooms border an alley way that runs between the hotel and the Blue Parrot Bistro next door. On Thursday eve, there wasn't any noise, however, Friday night we heard lots of very loud laughter and talking until almost 3am, even though we were on the 5th floor. Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep that night. While the hotel may not be able to prevent this, they should supply each room with a white noise machine for the nightstand. These work very well in eliminating noise. All in all, we had a very pleasant stay and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Trisha1996, Assistant Manager at James Gettys Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel!

I am glad that overall you had a pleasant stay at the James Gettys. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the noise next door. You are correct in your estimation that we are unable to control it; however, we do what we can to limit it, including triple-paned windows (plus storm windows in some instances) and heavy curtains. We also work very closely with our neighbors in noise-prevention solutions.

I realize that with the Living Social promotion, many rooms filled up very quickly on weekends. I can only suggest that our guests reserve as soon as possible after purchasing a voucher. I would also suggest coming in during the week to enjoy Gettysburg with fewer crowds.

Thank you again for your comments and suggestions; we will take them to heart!
Please stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We have been staying at the James Getty for 15 years now. It has been consistently clean and well cared for, and the staff has always been very friendly. It is in a great location for walking to restaurants and shops. The breakfast of baked goods (baked on the premises, too) with fruit and juice is always delicious. I have never, never been disappointed in the James Getty and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

I cannot say how delighted I was to read your review!
Thank you so much for continuing to rely on the James Gettys Hotel for your visits to Gettysburg. We really enjoy having you as our guests and look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We just returned from the James Getty Hotel and had a fabulous stay! The staff could not have been nicer and welcoming. The cheese and fruit tray and breakfast basket are just wonderful. Our room, Lord Nelson Suite, was extremely clean, warm and comforting. VERY quiet and relaxing at night! Just perfect! We had to leave early due to a dental emergency and the staff all expressed concern. We will DEFINATELY be back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel!

I am so sorry that you had to leave early! Hopefully, you will be right as rain in no time!
The Lord Nelson's Suite is a very popular room, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

This is great place to stay! My room was spotless. Nicely decorated. Amenities such as homebaked goods and fruit brought to your room each evening for b'fast the next day and cookies brought during the day. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Would stay here again. Within walking distance for shops and pubs/restaurants.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We know that sightseeing can be tiring, and enjoy providing all the little touches to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you again for staying with us and for your kind review! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had a great 2 day stay at the James Getty. DH, son and I arrived around dinner time and were checked in quickly with yummy cookies and bread awaiting us. Had dinner at Blue and Grey first night, Dobbins second night. Lord Nelson's room was by comfortable and quiet. Good fit for our family. Perfect location for walking downtown and then touring battlefield. I would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! We enjoyed hosting your family's visit to Gettysburg!
I'm glad you enjoyed your suite and the baked goods. We love showcasing Adams County's wonderful produce and always appreciate hearty appetites!

Please come see us again!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

The James Gettys Hotel was perfect in every way. The room was absolutely adorable, the breakfasts were great and the staff was so friendly. You couldn't ask for a better location- within walking distance of almost everything and less than 10 minutes from Gettysburg visitors center. There was some fantastic food nearby, and A&A shop down the street was darling. As my husband would confirm, I am a clean freak and don't usually feel comfortable in hotels. However, this room was so clean, even I was happy. This trip was with a girlfriend, but I'm hoping to go back with my husband soon, and would definitely stay here!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you so, so much for your review!

I think we all feel as though we have earned a badge of honor by having our housekeeping efforts praised by a self-proclaimed clean freak!!! I'm sure I can speak for the rest of the staff when I say that we all like to feel comfortable on our own travels and want to extend the same confidence-in-comfort to our guests.

We hope to see you and your family soon!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was a second trip to The James Gettys for my husband and I, but my daughter LOVES history too so we brought her for a birthday weekend treat. The rooms are very comfortable, cozy, and clean. She loved her day bed in the living space the the kitchen area each time is a nice bonus. The coffee and tea as well as the evening snacks and continental breakfasts were fabulous and fresh. We also enjoyed the hotel shaped chocolates! The hotel is in the center of town within walking distance of many attractions and restaraunts, as well as a short drive to the battlefield.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family