“Fabulous, scary Lightner Farmhouse”

The Lightner Farmhouse
Ranked #9 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We love to go away close to Halloween and wanted a place that was easy to get to, educational, and a little scary. The Lightner Farmhouse B&B was all that and more!

The B&B was a private home at the time of and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It's just beautiful inside and out. The innkeepers are very knowledgeable and friendly. The home outdoors looked lovely although the weather was pretty stormy so we couldn't explore too much. Oh, and the food was yummy!

They have someone come in and give a sortof ghost story type of thing in the basement. I thought it was pretty lame but my husband liked it.

While they don't really play up that the house is haunted we really believe it is! We were both awakened at about the same time each night we were there by strange sounds in the hallway. It sounded like someone dragging something heavy across the floor (a body maybe?). Then even more nerve-wracking was the sound of someone trying to get in the room (turning and shaking of the knob, etc.).

The Lightner is a short drive from the city itself and from the battlefied. We really encourage people to stay there if they're going to Gettysburg.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jerzee2maytoe

Reviewed 25 February 2008

My father in law actually lives in Gettysburg & works for the NPS at the battlefields and he recommended this B & B. We were so glad he did. My husband and I are newlyweds and never stayed at a B & B until here and we are gonna go back this year. I believe we stayed in the Cedar Room, it was really quaint. We walked the trail behind the house and the resident cat walked with us! The breakfasts were great and the chocolate chip cookies were the best we ever had! Hospitality was great and we will be coming back again!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ERmoney
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We have stayed at The Lightner Farmhouse twice now and we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The place is so peaceful and relaxing, Eileen and Dennis make you feel like you've known them all your life. Dennis cooks a mean breakfast. The pugs are fun, and we also love Jake the cat. I love to make a cup of tea and sit out on the porch. We are going in April to Gettysburg and will once again be staying at the Lightner. If you have never tried a B&B this is the one to try.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LilButch
Reviewed 23 February 2008

The bad first:
1. Nothing.

The Good:
1. Slightly outside the center of town. 4 days before Christmas the town was deserted, but we figured the crowds pick up during peak season. Either way, if you want peace and quiet, you'd get it here.
2. The room was clean. There was a fake fireplace (and coming from the Boston area, I thought that was a bit cheesy). The thing did not even generate heat!
3. The grounds are immense.
4. The CDs you can borrow if you want to tour the battlefield.
5. Breakfast was fun. We got undivided attention (But then we were the only people in the whole house!)
6. The history of the house. Apparently it was a hospital and if you look hard you can still see blood stains on the floor.
7. The host (his wife was away) is knowledgable of the area.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 27 November 2007

This was a very tough decision for me for which B&B to stay at in Gettysburg. So I went with this one after reading its reviews. They didn't let me down. The house was beautiful, the land was gorgeous. The place will always be a special place for me since this was my first B&B that I ever stayed at. The Hoovers made my boyfriend and I feel very welcomed. The breakfast was delicious, the baked cookies that was left out for us at night were awesome. The room was clean, spacious and we loved our fireplace. There was a special feel of warmth that the Hoovers provided us. I recommend this place to anyone that just wants to getaway to Gettysburg and come to a place that you can call home. I know we did. I will be back and I will recommend it to many. Thanks for the memories.
Laurie
Kensington M.D.

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank lpells
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We really enjoyed the comfort/roominess and privacy of the Walnut Cottage. We got to peek at the other rooms and they are all nice and typical of what you would expect from a B&B. The cottage is a rare gem with all that space.

The mini-fridge in the cottage was convenient. It was nice that it came with some water and soda, but we also loaded it up with our own purchases.

I was worried about it being "out of town", but it is really quite close and to be able to sit on the cottage porch away from it all listening to the birds sing and the blowing of the trees far outweighs the short drive.

If you are interested in a ghost tour, ask the owners. They connected us with a really good private tour with Ms. Betty. I also recommend the private park guide (picked up at the visitor center) if you go to Gettysburg, but the owners will also lend you the book and CD for more adventures on your own.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 1_to_travel_on
Reviewed 21 September 2007

This was our first visit to Gettysburg where we stayed over. As soon as we turned down the lane we knew we had made the right choice. No hotel or motel comes close to the experience and warmth of the farmhouse and our new friends the Hoovers. From the most pleasent room(s) to my bacon done just as I like it, everything was 100% plus. Our advise. Just stay here.

Most Sincerely,