“Charming country inn minutes from Gettysburg battlefields”

The Lightner Farmhouse
Ranked #9 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Lancaster, PA
“Charming country inn minutes from Gettysburg battlefields”
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I have stayed twice at Lightner Farmhouse in Gettysburg, and both experiences were wonderful. My wife and I have always enjoyed visiting historic sites, and the fact that Lightner has it's own history was fantastic! Built in the 1860's, the rooms have a lovely old country feel that added so much to our experience.
Both rooms we stayed in were very well kept and had there own mini water jugs with cups and a TV. The beds were quite comfortable, and the bathrooms were clean and contained high quality hypo-allergenic hand soaps as well as the typical shampoo, conditioner, and facial soap. My wife particularly enjoyed the tile in the bathrooms, the rest of the rooms were original hardwood flooring.
The Inn is owned by a husband and wife, Dennis and Eillen Hoover, who were very kind, and assisted us every time we even mentioned anything. Eileen, in particular impressed us with her knowledge of Gettysburg, she apparently used to give guided tours there! Breakfast was nice, and the couple was very accomodating, even asking the night before if there was anything we really wanted to eat, or if we had any dietary restrictions. There is a common room with a mini fridge filled with sodas and beers free for the taking behind an authentic wooden bar.
We had a lovely stay, and plan to go back. There is still much of Gettysburg we have left to see! I would reccomend this inn to anyone.

• Liked — Close proximity to Gettysburg attractions
1 Thank blink182mrk

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
leesburg
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Nice house - location a little too far outside of Gettysburg, especially in light of gas price increases. Only wanted to stay one night but because that particular room required two nights, we booked it anyway. (We needed a downstairs room because my husband just had neck surgery about three months ago and my back bothers me.).

Pros:

Room had an its own exit
Lovely location; good parking
Breakfast smelled good even though we did not make it out in time as it was served from 8-9 am.

Cons:

Room TOO EXPENSIVE for what you get. We have stayed in Gettysburg many, many times and know what to expect.

Small Room with no closet to put things away; we never could get organized; had to leave bags / things lying all around the room; we were tripping over our things.

Breakfast is served from 8:00 am to 9:00 am - makes it convenient for the owners but for people on weekends, you have to rush to make it. Not worth it on the weekend. They should extend hours to give guests a more relaxing weekend. We were unable to take advantage of this.

Our room was near the kitchen and when the telephone rang, it was like it was in our room. They must have the ringer up all the way. Ringing started early and went on until late in the evening. Additionally, you heard anything anyone did in the house.

After the first night, we knew we could not stay the second. We took our time, went out to Gettysburg for breakfast and came back and packed up. Moved up the road. Expensive weekend for us ....

One note about Dennis, the co-owner: when we checked in, he gave us an orientation of the place (old military hospital), I asked jokingly "are there any ghosts"? It seemed to me that he got upset with me and proceeded to somewhat lecture us for about twenty minutes (people asking this question are basically fanatics, was my take from this). When you are in the B&B business, these questions come up, especially here. This was just a conversational question, not really expecting that kind of response. During the balance of his orientation, it was extremely uncomfortable for my husband and myself. We asked no questions after that point and avoided him.

Emailed the owner of our disappointing visit. They offered to give us another downstairs room if we came back during the week. Declined the offer.

Bonnie

• Liked — remote location / good parking
  • Disliked — overpriced / room too small & no closet / telephone ringing most of day and night
6 Thank dixie12345
gettysburggal, owner at The Lightner Farmhouse, responded to this review, 21 May 2008
The noisy business phone has been replaced with a quiet one. Owners are happy to accommodate early or later breakfast requests with a continental breakfast and these particular guests were asked at 10:30 AM if they wanted anything to eat or drink. The offer was declined. Also the guests booked for a two night stay without asking for the possibility of a one night stay. Sometimes the one night weekend stay is possible. We have issued an apology and an offer for a future night's stay to the couple.
new jersey
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We visited Gettysburg for the first time and had a nice weekend stay at the Lightner Farmhouse B&B. The hosts were very accomodating by giving us a brief historic tour of the house upon arrival and setting us up on a late night ghost walk at the Battlefield with "Miss Betty". It was a nice way to get oriented with the area and here some interested stories!! It was also nice that they showed us a map of the area without asking and loaned us the Battlefield Auto Tour for free. They have a wonderful rocking chair porch that I sat on for hours one afternoon after touring and read a book. Jake, the resident cat (outdoor cat) sat on my lap and greeted me often. The grounds are just stunning and very relaxing to say the least. The house is in great tip top shape and very nicely decorated and welcoming. The beds were very comfortable and the breakfasts were good.

We heard several "paranormal" activity stories while researching this B&B and we didn't experience anything personal, HOWEVER, I zoomed in on a photo I took of the breezeway in the back of the house and there is an image of a victorian woman's face in the window with a hat, hair in a bun and a puffy sleep top with high collar. I showed a couple of other guests and they were in "awe". I had only taken the picture to capture the ivy growing up the tree in the back for landscaping ideas at my own home....what a surprise I got when I zoomed in!

I'd recommend staying here.

P.S. Try Olivia's for dinner - about a mile past the property.

• Liked — Welcoming homey feeling
2 Thank mahoneychic
davison
Reviewed 11 May 2008

We stayed at the Lightner Farmhouse B&B for four nights and it was our best B&B experience ever. In little over fifteen years I have stayed in numerous B&B's and inns all over the country and our visit to the Lightner Farmhouse was the most comfortable, homey and enjoyable I've ever had. Our hosts, Dennis and Eileen Hoover were very attentive and friendly. It was our first visit to Gettysburg and they both were very knowledgeable of the area and helpful with directions and what stores/attractions were nearby. The b&b is located just a small distance from town so there is no city or traffic noise but it's close to everything; battlefield, outlet shopping, the interstate. It feels like a secluded resort but has the warmth of a beloved relative's home. The Hoovers were absolutely wonderful hosts. The breakfasts were delicious; french toast, homemade blueberry pancakes, fluffy cheese omelets, homemade strawberry jam, yum! We stayed in the Pine Tree suite. The beds were so comfortable. Our daytime hours were spent soaking in all of Gettysburg. By the time we returned "home" we were ready for bed. I enjoyed spending an hour before retiring reading the many books on the Civil War our hosts had provided in our rooms. Our stay at the Lightner Farmhouse was just the best. This b&b is QUALITY and hospitality at it's finest. I am already planning our next visit.

• Liked — Wonderful hospitality
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank apauliesgirl65
Reviewed 1 May 2008

Our first trip to Gettysburg. Thought the Lightner was a little over priced, but maybe that is par for the area. Could use a little more maintenance. Same breakfast two days in a row.

• Liked — It was historic
  • Disliked — We had the least nice room even though the place was not filled.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank diva59
NJ
Reviewed 20 March 2008

Innkeepers were very helpful in guiding our visit. Offered maps, recommendations and tour information/guidebooks
Room - pleasant
Food - excellent
Atmosphere - comfortable
Nice hiking trails nearby

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CDC75
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 13 March 2008

nice owners, great room, comfortable beds, good breakfast! a few miles outside of town near the outlets.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — proximity to downtown
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple