“Of all the tours, this is the worst!”

Soldiers Orphanage Tour
Ranked #29 of 31 Tours in Gettysburg
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Of all the tours, this is the worst!”
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

I can not accurately describe how awful this tour is! From the very beginning it was a disorganized mess! The story they tell is extremely gimmicky and has a lame summer camp feel to it. After standing outside in the freezing weather while the guides tried to figure out which way was up, we were hearded like cattle into the orphange. We listened to a story upstairs before descending into the legendary basement of torture complete with the shackles and chains...that were rubber!!! The group was let loose to roam and kick up enough dust to provide ample "orbs" for all those taking pictures. After the basement, our guide led us around outside telling more stories. My husband and I completely tuned her out but we are too polite to just walk away even though we discussed it! The only entertainment was the people watching! Go get yourself an ice cream cone and wander around town, you'll have more fun!

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Tshifflett83

Onley
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“OMG!!! R U Serious!!!”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I have been on ghost tours all over the country and without a doubt the "Midnight in the Orphanage" tour was the absolute worst!!! I love a good ghost story but all I got on this tour was ..."Rosa cross the rods" and with a slight (movement)of hand, the rods would cross. Then imagine the cradle rocking, lights flickering, fog machines rolling as the tour guide ( who was a horrible story teller) would swear,on the lives of her children, that it was all real...What a load of crud! I was so annoyed I was tempted to run screaming from the house...not from fear but incredible boredom

Visited April 2012
3 Thank DanSOnley
New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Just Plain Awful”
Reviewed 14 November 2010

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS PITIFUL TOUR unless you want to hear "I was like and she was like and we were like EEEEEEAAAAAAAAAA"
First of all, the owner (I'm guessing) tells you before you even start the tour that chances of SEEING a ghost are slim but there are other ways of experiencing them (sound, smell, touch). But, lo and behold our tour guide had COUNTLESS encounters...pishaw....
We visited an alley, sat in a basement and talked amongst ourselves as the "self employed guide" talked incessently about nothing.
So...you pay $9.75 for the guide to tell you at the end of the tour that she is self employed and she'd appreciate you throwing her some cash.....what the heck did I pay $9.75 for???? Take the money and get yourself a tshirt

7 Thank NewJerseyKaren
Binghamton, New York
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 195 helpful votes
“Ghostly Encounter Tour - Fun”
Reviewed 25 October 2010

My daughters and I attended the Ghostly Images "Ghostly Encounter" tour while we were in Gettysburg. It sounded like a fun thing to do to get into the Halloween spirit.

Our tour guide was the stern matron of the orphanage who has come back from the dead to tell her story about what happened at the orphanage. the actress was great. She played the stern headmistress well and never broke character. She wa;led us around a bit and then we entered the Soldier National Museum to have a look in the cellar and to learn more about what happened to the kids at the orphanage. We were treated to about 10 minutes in the dark in the cellar and later were invited to view the "dungeon" where kids were punished. We were also given time to go inside the dungeon and experience what the kids must have experienced. It was truly a sad story.

We all had a great time and I recommend this tour.

4 Thank joenronnie
York, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“WORST TOUR EVER!!”
Reviewed 11 November 2009

This tour is completely dependent upon who you end up with as a tour guide. Each guide takes you to different locations, though you all end up in the basement of the orphanage. Our tour guide Doug took us to three different parking lots. Not only were parking lots so random and the stories so vague, but he was the WORST storyteller I've ever listened to. Everyone on the tour was miserable. I do not doubt that others had wonderful experiences, but it is totally dependent upon who your tour guide is, and this is something you have no control over. Not worth the money and a waste of two hours.

5 Thank PAteach17