“An amazing experience”

Gettysburg National Military Park
Ranked #1 of 82 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Battle of Gettysburg, a turning point in the Civil War, was the Union victory that ended General Robert E. Lee's second and most ambitious invasion of the North. Often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Rebellion," Gettysburg was the Civil War's bloodiest battle and was also the inspiration for President Abraham Lincoln's immortal "Gettysburg Address."
Reviewed 4 December 2013

As a bit of a Civil War nerd, I knew I was going to be awed by visiting this battlefield. Honestly, everyone should visit Gettysburg at some point in their life and certainly do themselves the favor of paying for the bus tour from the Visitor Center. The tour guides are just outstanding and can answer any (and I mean any) question you have about the battle. The Visitor Center itself was just beautiful and worth going into. I happen to be lucky the day I went as a woman who had written a fantastic book about what happened to the battlefield after the war and the long journey it took to be in the present state it is now, was there signing copies of her book. I imagine that is not unusual but was thrilled nonetheless. An incredible day all around.

Date of experience: August 2013
2  Thank czaczek912
Write a ReviewReviews (7,583)
All reviews
in 80 reviews
"bucket list"
in 87 reviews

Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you're a Civil war nut, a serious student, or just want to learn and experience the Civil war this is the place to start. The Park Ranger tour guides are so well versed in the entire battle, and the auto-audio tour is, almost, just as good. You can't ask questions to an audio tour though! Stand in some parts of this park and you can feel the history. Roads are marked pretty well and the monuments are marked really well. I found Chamberlain's monument this trip.
Don't forget to visit Sallie of the 11th Pennsylvania Infantry, and the Irish Wolfhound found at the monument for the Irish Brigade 63rd, 69th and the 88th New York Infantry, 14th New York Independent Battery. Not to far from there is a monument to a surgeon, it's tucked behind another monument, but it's worth finding!
Americans need to learn where we have come from in order to move forward. This Military Park is a good place to start.
If you have only a few hours you can still learn and experience a lot, but if you can take a few days you can do the whole thing!!

1  Thank Amy F
Reviewed 2 December 2013

It is far above my poor power to add or detract from what was done here, but I will aver, without a shadow of doubt, that every American should regard it as a sacred duty to make a pilgrimage to this site, and while here, to try to open their hearts and their minds to the conception of liberty and equality so nobly advanced here. If your visit is successful, you cannot leave without taking with you an increased devotion to these great principles.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This park is a must see for all Americans! So many fought to keep this great country of ours together. The visitor center is gorgeous and is so worth the fee. My husband is active military so it was free for him. Allow yourself plenty of time it's worth it!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This is my third trip to the Gettysburg battlefield and was by far the best because I spent two full days exploring the entire park. It is a beautiful place set among the rolling hills and farms of Pennsylvania. I purchased the 150th Anniversary auto tour to help guide my son and I around the park and it was well worth it. We listened to the CD at each auto tour stop, then got out of the car and explored on our own trying to picture what those men went through. It is a fascinating historical place with plenty of memorials all around and plenty of assistance available if you need it. We even ran into three re-enactors on Little Round Top. They were extremely gracious in answering some questions I had and really added to our experience. I do want to visit other Civil War sites, but I can't see how any good be as good as Gettysburg!

1  Thank Bill O