“Horrible Experience!”

Hall of Presidents & First Ladies
Ranked #45 of 107 things to do in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring The area's only complete wax collection of American Presidents and their first ladies as well as a beautiful gift shop. The Hall of Presidents is located across the street from the Gettysburg Tour Center and next to the main entrance of the National Cemetery. It is incredible to be able to see what our Presidents really looked like and to hear the words attributed to them as if the words came from the very lips of the figures themselves.The Hall of First Ladies present authentic 1/3 size reproductions of the First Ladies in their inaugural gowns.
Scottsburg, Indiana
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Horrible Experience!”
Reviewed 4 November 2010

My husband, 22 month old son and I started this museum so I knew since there was another family in there with us, there was a chance that I wouldn't get very far in. We got to the first room and the wax figures were HORRIBLE (as stated in other reviews here). As expected, my son started jabbering so I got up and walked out with him as to not disturb the other family...no biggie. So then I started speaking with the man working there and asked since there was no one behind us if the 3 of us could hang back a room so again, the other family wouldn't be bothered...he said oh sure that's not a problem at all. I waited until my husband got through with the first room and told him it was ok to hang back. We waited until that other family finished the second room and then started it ourselves...there was still no one behind us. There's glass in the doors between each room so we noticed a lady walking in the building when we were about 1/2 through with the second room. Well, we were within 1 president of finishing the second room when the man that was working there came in and said "are you guys planning on hanging back 1 room from that first family the whole way through?" we told him yes so our son wouldn't disturb them and then I reminded him that he said it was ok. He then rolled his eyes at us and said that was fine but he didn't like it because we were holding up the lady behind us. At that point, he left the room and walked out to the main part of the building and was talking to the lady behind us (reminder...glass in the doors). We then decided to leave...and no, we didn't ask for our money back. Here's my problem...we were almost through with the second room...within 1 president, the lady behind us hadn't even started the first room yet, so how were we holding anyone up??? AND, if this was going to be a problem then why did he say it was ok??? I realize this wasn't a good place to bring our baby BUT they weren't by any means crowded. We are very cautious on things like this and don't want to bother anyone else so if he would have told me that it wasn't ok to hang back then I would have just waited out in the gift shop area for my husband so he could finish the whole thing...I really didn't have a problem with that part because I knew it was a possibility before we even started that I wouldn't get to see it all. I just think the man working there could have been a lot nicer since we were trying to be courteous in the first place, not once were we rude...even when we got up and walked out.

4 Thank JBridgewater

Shawville, QC, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very Interesting and not too long!”
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We visited this attraction on a Monday morning and were pleased to find that there were no line-ups and we were able to enter right away. The museum contains 5 rooms in total plus a gift shop. The first 4 rooms contain wax figures of each of the 44 presidents and there is an audio track for each one, approximately 2 minutes long, summarizing their time in office. The last room contains wax figurines of each of the first ladies (2/3 their actual size), dressed in replicas of their inaugural gowns. Tour is basically self-guided and you are allowed to take pictures. Being Canadian, I found it a very interesting way to learn more about the political history of the US. Worth the fee to get in to see this once...not worth a repeat visit.

1 Thank canadianladytraveler
baltimore, md
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Exhibit is frozen in time but that's a good thing!”
Reviewed 14 November 2009

You would swear you stepped back in time when you walk into this museum. But they don't make them like this anymore and that's the beauty of it. I don't want to sound insulting, but it is corny. But, hey, I love corny. You walk into many different rooms containing the presidents in chronological order. A spotlight shines on each president one by one and then you hear the president talk or they say something historical about the president. Maybe the presidents don't look life-like but at least they tried. President Ford's arm fell off while we were in there. Now, that's funny! They are trying to teach the average citizen something and for that I commend them. Upstairs are miniature models of the First Ladies as they appeared in their innaugural gowns. If you live close by to Gettysburg or if your looking for something different to do then why not check it out. It should only take up about an hour of your time.

1 Thank fawn3620
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Don't Waste your Time or your Money”
Reviewed 16 August 2009

August 16, 2009

We saw the Hall of Presidents & First Ladies today and decided to give it a try. The cost is $7.95 per person. From the outside, you really think this will be worthwhile, it is NOT.

First , you go from room to room to view several President's per room. There is not equal seating per room (maximum 12, some as little as 8) for everyone in your group to be seated. So, you may or may not have a seat for the 45 minute tour. Someone in each group is asked to push the button for the narrative to begin.

Secondly, the wax figures of the Presidents are so bad you can barely recognize some of them. Clinton was absolutely horrible. Kennedy has sandy red hair. Eisenhower looks like someone else.. not himself. The Obama figure does look good.

Finally, the First Ladies exhibit is on the second floor up a very lengthy set of steep stairs. The exhibit is not life size, they are small wax DOLLS about three feet high in very dusty dresses. They do not even have Michelle Obama even though she is showcased on the large poster outside the building.

All five of us agreed this was NOT worth the time or the money and in the four days we spent in Gettysburg it was definately the WORST attraction we saw. Everything else was a thumbs up. This was the thumbs DOWN. Save your $$$$$

2 Thank LadyJane91