“Not a friendly place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Granite Hill Camping Resort
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Not a friendly place”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

I have camped here a few times and after the last I vowed never again. This place has no customer service. Their fees are rediculous. Guest fees are outrageous. I guess they don't care because Gettysburg is a tourist town with thousands of tourists and the campground is most likely booked enough they don't need to focus on customer service. I am disappointed and feel bad for the other campers that felt unwelcome. I have felt that too and I am a local resident of Gettysburg. Since my family loves to camp, it is more cost effective for us to camp close to home a few times a year. I will not be back to Granite Hill. I do wish that this campground cared more for the campers because the amenities are excellent, but for me that is not enough.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GburgfoodieQ

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I have never had a more miserable experience at a campground. The place was extremely crowded with RVs everywhere. The roads are extremely confusing. My husband and I were tent camping, and they stuck us in a poorly kept, forgotten corner of the park a half a mile from the bathroom. When we made our reservations we were told that there was water at the campsites, but it turned out there was one faucet for the entire area (circa ten sites). The ground was sloped and it had rocks sticking out of the ground- hardly a fitting place for a tent. We were not allowed to switch to an adjacent site - and we weren't about to move to a place that was even farther from the bathroom and the shared water faucet, or pack up all of our gear to move to a completely unshaded area along a major thoroughfare. The ground in our area had very little plant life, so when it rained during our third and final night of camping, we were in a mudslide - the tent was so muddy the next day that we postponed leaving for a few hours to let it dry a little. The sites are so close together that there was a tent less than ten feet from ours. There was absolutely no privacy. We both hated it so much we wanted to leave after the first night, and we would have if we could have. They also have a sign up that says "no refunds for shortened stays", i.e. if you feel robbed and get out of dodge, fine, just don't expect your money back.
Perhaps the most angering part of the stay was that there were no real showers. We paid $47 a night for this place - far more than the $20-24 we paid at two other campgrounds earlier in the week. Yet the "showers" had no hot water - even though we showered late in the evenings to avoid crowds (especially since the campground was packed to the gills, with WAY too many people assigned to the bathhouse). Most infuriating, the showers only operated by pressing a button (which was so hard to push you had to face it to push it ) which would turn the water on for 10-20 seconds, long enough to turn around and spend about 3 seconds trying to get the soap out of your hair with the freezing cold water. After "cleaning up", it was impossible to avoid getting filthy all over again with the mud caked all over the floors of the bathroom.
I suppose they are charging so much for tent campers because of the so-called amenities - a small pool teeming with small children and teenagers - and a covered shuffleboard. Obviously we didn't take advantage of these amenities. The campground was primarily staffed by teenage/college aged girls, most of whom could not answer any questions.
I felt absolutely robbed by this place. I can't even imagine the profit margins these people have. They want to squeeze every campsite they can out of that place, and care nothing about being able to provide what they promise: reasonably clean and accessible showers and toilets, an area suitable for setting up a tent, and water at camp sites. It's upsetting enough to pay $20-some bucks a night for such treatment; another thing to pay $47.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaspruil
Paw Paw, Michigan
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We were supposed to stay at Gettysburg Campground, but it got flooded out with all of the storms. So we stayed here, and it was nice. It's a really rocky area, so the ground in some of the tent sites had a lot of boulders sticking out and would be good for smaller tents. They knew we had a big tent, so they gave us a large site, which was nice. The grounds were really pretty. We didn't do anything on the campground because it was chilly. The road that this and all the other campgrounds are on is really noisy, so that was annoying, but I'm guessing all the campgrounds have that problem. They did have a bright streetlight right near the entrance to the tent camping section, which would have been nice to have that turned off at night. But it was a nice campground, and the bathrooms were very clean, which is the biggest thing!

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Tomball, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I first stayed at Granite Hill two years ago. The property is older, but has been well maintained. There are a lot of play areas and open space, nice pool, and activities every weekend. And, its very convenient to Gettysburg but far enough out to still feel like camping.

This summer's visit was just as great as the last one. The staff was just as helpful, even offering us help back in the site if we needed. My kids had a blast on the adventure golf course - (Note: This is a challenging course, not a putt putt for little kids). And breakfast at the snackbar was surprisingly delicious.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank ConnectionMaker
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 July 2010

I just wanted to write about the great vacation both my sister an my family had there over the week of the 4th. We both booked our reservations site unseen, as Granite Hill was reasonable and did not demand the entire amount of the 9 day reservation up front in February when we made our reservations like most of the other campgrounds in Gettysburg demand.

We interacted often with the staff while there, both in the ofice and on the grounds, and found everyone to be very helpful, knowledgeable and pleasant. Thanks for making us all feel welcome! The sites are clean and spacious. The bathrooms and facilities are well-kept and are cleaned often. The kids enjoyed the game room. We appreciated all of the mature shade trees, and made use of the swimming pool, especially when the temperatures soared over 100 degrees for 3 days!

We especially enjoyed the great family camping atmosphere at Granite Hill that prevailed even during bike week. Families playing lawn games in the late afternoon, then gathering together around the campfire at almost every site each evening. That's what camping is all about!

Our only suggestions we have are that the map needs to be updated to represent the sites as they are today, especially the tent sites. Also, it would be great if there were two robe hooks in the shower stalls instead just one--pretty minor stuff!

We recommend Granite Hill to others and hope to get back there again real soon!

Tony & Barb - North Carolina
and
Nancy - Vermont

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
waynesboro
Reviewed 11 July 2010

i completely agree with the other post titled"unwelcome experience"...we too have the same feelings. let me start off by saying that my family camps just about every other weekend starting in may every year. we normally like to camp in gettyburg because it is only about 15 minutes from our home. this was our first time camping at Granite Hill. Upon arrival all the employees were very friendly and we were very impressed with the campground...a nice big pool, clean environment, big camp sites, etc. Our first nite camping, we were in love however....the second afternoon at the campground we had friends that wanted to camp with us but they wanted to pitch a tent on our site.... for everyone who camps you should know that alot of campgrounds allow you to have either two tents per site or a camper and a tent (at no additional cost but maybe a "guest fee"...like maybe $3 or $4. when we explained what we wanted to do, the office staff stated that the other 2 adults joining us would have to pay a "base fee" of $38.50..just to pitch a tent on our site. i have never had anyone treat us as if were just more "money in the bank"..we ended up paying the fee prior to our guest arrival and when our guests checked in the employees charged our guests again something completely different than what they charged us when we pre-paid!!! i went up to the office and explained that they shouldnt have charged our guests again and the employees were very rude as if the mistake was my fault and the employees said that when the employees change shifts some things get missed???? my husband and i have a business and this is defintely not how to run a business let alone a campground.... our last morning at the campground we were rudely awakened by an employee pounding on our camper door at 9:00 am because our car pass fell down from our rear-view mirror and wasnt visiable. i was irate!!!! they got a total of $130.00 out of me for that weekend and they wanted to wake me out of bed to tell me that my car pass had fallen and wasnt displayed properly!!!! needless to say...we will not return to this campground....they employees need to learn how to treat customers especially at a family orientated place of business!!!! also to note, after my run in about the fees, i came upon a gentleman who greeted us on our first day and he told us "let us know if we can do anything for you over the weekend"..i thought to myself i am going to see what he says about our "dilemma" he pretty much said "maam, youre complaint is falling on deaf ears..there is nothing that i can do for you..it is what it is" that is exactly what he told me....so much for good customer service!!!

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank bandhwalter
Gillett
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We booked the Granite Hill B&B 3 months in advance because friends of ours were staying at the campground & we didn't feel like camping. I had a coupon for book 2 nights & get the 3rd free which they would NOT honor since it was memorial day. No big deal but it didn't have any exceptions listed on the coupon. We told them we had a child & needed a room for 3. The day before we were to arrive, a woman called to ask how old our child was. We told her 10 & she said that children were not allowed at the b&b. Okay. Since they forgot to tell us, she would allow it. However, we needed to bring a sleeping bag since there was no extra bed. And since there were antiques we needed to watch our child carefully. I was IRATE!!! I told her that I used to own a bed & breakfast for 3 years & thought that I could handle that. I don't remember ever calling one of my guests in advance to tell them they weren't really welcomed but I would allow it because I screwed up. So here is the clincher!!! We get there. It was nice but there were no antiques or anything prescious. And There was NO OTHER GUESTS but us. And we still had to sleep on the floor. Why the heck couldn't I use my coupon? no one else was knocking the door down. And When I had the B&B if I had 3 to a room & my other rooms weren't booked, I always let them have a 2nd room. That is how you get repeat guests. I doubt if these guys will get repeat guests.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Mommacassy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gettysburg
The Lodges at Gettysburg
Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Liberty Mountain Resort
Liberty Mountain Resort
#1 of 1 in Carroll Valley

Been to Granite Hill Camping Resort? Share your experiences!