“complete disaster!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Granite Hill Camping Resort
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“complete disaster!”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Bath house very unclean. Showers worked only half the time. drains in showers clogged up so you had to stand in 2 inch deep of shower water, and it is community shower water... nasty. So you're standing in the water from the three guys showering in the stalls next to you. Rules, rules rules. You can call it NO FUN CAMP. The pool, kids all the ways down to 3 years old were told what to do and when to do do it. Splash in the pool to much, get yelled at. Touch the cold water from the hose, get yelled at. Etc. When reserving site they said, better get it early because we will sell out! what a joke! We were there for 4 days and it was 70% empty all 4 days. Drive by the other camps in the area and they were all packed. Never again, that place is a complete disaster! Owner is a hot head, good luck if you have to deal with him. Very unprofessional, swearing around children and elderly. Drives thru the camp site at night going 50 MPH, dust everywhere, freaking nut ball.
camp there at your own risk!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shamus E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 June 2012

we liked how the grounds were spacious and had lots to do without driving into gettysburg. The pool and other actvities are great time killers and there are ample playgrounds for the children to play on. there is also a fishing pond and gold course!! we couldnt take advantage of the fullness the campground had to offer because our son was only 1 and was out of sorts, so we had to leave early. However, from what we did see and do we enjoyed it very much!! the food cafe is also very good and very cheap!! the campground was very accomodating when we made our reservation as well. we actually are booking our next camping trip with them today!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank yaun
Rising Sun, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is our second stay at Granite Hill, and the second time we were diappointed. Overall, the camp GROUND is nice... but many of the camp SITES leave a lot to be desired. This first trip, 4 July 2010, we had one of the 'Post Sites'. This amounted to 4 to 6 electric hook ups on a post... literally. Luckily, we were close enough that our cord reached... not so lucky for some of our neighbors, but it forced neighors to get real close so their cords could reach, making it really cramp. The ground was sparse grass, but mostly dirt. Luckily it didn't rain!

The second trip was Memorial Day 2012. This time we stayed in the 'Main Camp Ground'. Sites were cramped and the roads are very uneven/briken gravel. They had an underground leak somewhere oir it is naturally a marsh area because the ground was continually muddy. Before we got there, it looked like they spread stone in an attempt to cover the mud, but only about 2 inches worth of stone. Our RV sunk, I sunk, the dog sunk... it was a mess. Additionally, poison ivy was everywhere! As I type, I am starting to notice bumps on my finger. The RV area was light stone and mud, the awning area was mudd and weeds... about 6 inches high. We found several ticks on the the kids and ourselves just from walking through the awning area. Not a pleasant experience.

Trip 3 will NOT be at Granite Hill.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Silverline98
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at the Granite Hill Campground resort. Highly recommend this campground. Cozy sights. Sites are reasonably wide...ours is nice. Plenty of room to sit by the fire, walk around, etc. Pretty large ccampground but spread out. Many open areas. Certainly doesn't feel congested.

We scoped out Getttysburg Campground (timeshare in addition to day/week stays I believe) and the KOA. GC is OK. Sites be the creek look nice. Sites in the"bullpen" in the center/back don't look inviting. The whole area is stone....good for level I guess....but the sites are outined with painted lines on the stone. Have to wear thick shoes on stones. Not impressed. Just to drive around we had to have a mirror tag. Not unusual I guess.

The KOA is very nice. Kinda small in terms of number of sites. Sites were wide, trees plentiful/ roads good. Kabins and kottages seemed especially nice. They have a dog playground and a nice kids playground and pool near the kabins. I think this campground has some sites for large rigs but primarily is more suited for rigs 30' and shorter. Nice people....no mirror tag needed to just drive around.

Bottom Line: we would stay at Granite Hill if the choice was these 3 campgrounds....without a doubt. Enjoyed our stay! They had a chili cook off today and music and dancing at night. You can have an enjoyable walk just walking the roads around here. Several playgrounds, swingsets, etc around. There is a nice fishing hole too that seemed popular. Seems like plenty of room for big rigs.

BTW....firewood is available on rt 116...take a left out of Granite Hill.....within 2 miles there is a place selling wood in wheel barrows for $4-$5. Just past that location...maybe another 4 or 5 miles or so there is a more commercial firewood place on the right. Almost looks like an old farm but up the drive...have to drive 50 yards up a small hill...there are piles of wood They have a sign for campers on their fence roadside and piles of wood for $5 each. Good wood...burned well...generous amount. Best deal IMHO.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank ChrisfromSEPA
Frederick, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 4 May 2012

My family has camped at Granite Hill since about 1984, when my daughter was a crawling baby. Great family place. We have returned multiple times, I even camped here alone in a cabin...which was a fun experience too. The cook at that time made the most delicious pancakes for me at breakfast. This place has activities for the family and also famous for their blue grass concerts. Our family is returning in a couple of weeks...and I can't wait...new memories!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Julie S
Hanover, PA
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I wanted to express my gratitude to the staff of Granite Hill Camp ground. I took my girls (5&8 years old) to Granite Hill this past weekend, we were accompanied by my good friend and his family. We all had a great camping trip highlighted by the wonderful Granite Hill staff!

A few examples of the excellent staff: The office staff kindly helped a cash starved daddy (me) out as I only had 60 ish cents change short of $1 needed to get the 3 for $1 candy. The entertainment director (Mackenzie) was a sweet and engaging as one can be. Our families participated in all the events at the camp ground on Saturday, largely due to Mackenzie (This is a blessing to a Daddy alone with two little girls ). The potluck dinner, although not many participated, was enjoyable due to Mackenzie and Trudy.

All the staff was amazing. My friend and I reflected on the trip and noticed that the staff keep coming up in our conversation. I think I can speak for my friend in saying thank you to the staff at Granite Hill for making our trip outstanding. I will be sure to recommend Granite Hill to any camper.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Essex, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We make at least two trips to Granite Hill every year. The first is in June, when the pool opens and the last for one of the Halloween weekends. The staff is always friendly and helpful. The campground is spotless, the sites always clean and well kept. There are plenty of activities for the entire family. We have stayed at other campgrounds in the area and found Granite Hill to be the best.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gettysburg
The Lodges at Gettysburg
#21 of 27 in Gettysburg
Quality Inn Gettysburg Battlefield
The Historic Fairfield Inn 1757
Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Granite Hill Camping Resort? Share your experiences!