“Okay stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Granite Hill Camping Resort
Evansville, Indiana
“Okay stay”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Not a good first impression. Assigned a site that was not level and with many tree roots. Maintenance guy was rude and uncaring: doesn't need to work there (heard others complain about him as well). When I inquired about alternate sites, was told none were available (although the one next door and a nearby pull-thru were unoccupied during our four night stay). Something wrong with that picture!! Yes, lots to do for kids but… Fortunately we had good neighbors. Seems to be more about the "bucks" than anything. Bathrooms were questionable. Roads need definite attention as well. Check elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Be careful before you invest!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This was our first time at this campground. We went Mother's Day weekend and it was not very busy at all. We camped in a full hook up site that was very spacious. We were not right on top of our neighbor. We ate at the snack shop and it was very pricey for not very. Would definitely not eat there again. Running through the campground I notice some very small and hard to back in spots. So be careful on picking a site. Had to run in the bathhouse and i have to say the Bathhouse was not as clean as I would have expected for a slow weekend. And the workers in the office/gift shop seemed bothered when we walked in. It made us feel uncomfortable. I would definitely give the campground another try. I really enjoyed the spot we were in lots of trees that gave you a definite outdoor camping feel. So if you are not looking for open lots and and love lots of shade this is one to try.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Love2travel227
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I have stayed at Granite Hill every year for the past 3 years. Every year we reserve the same site lot # 118. Its a mostly level lot with trees and a small creek between our camp site and the Pool. The electric box on this site is not working properly. Electric flickers off quit often. Showers are difficult to use as you need to keep pushing the buttons just to get a shower. Water temp is extreme hot or extreme cold. Every year the prices have gone up. But the last straw for us was the way they slammed us with a price raise after we reserved a year in advance. They will send you fliers and emails about the activities at the campground. But not one email or phone call about the price increase. They had a whole 5 months to email us and give us the option to cancel and not lose our 50% deposit. But they waited until you checked in and showed them your confirmation letter with balance due. Then the hit you with a price increase. Had I been told of the hefty price increase I would have cancelled and gone to a state park.At lease at a state park you know what your getting. DO NOT GO BY THE VIEWS IN TRAVEL MAGAZINES. THEY HAVE NO WIFI unless your sitting in the store. IF THEY HAVE CABLE I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT IN THE 3 MEMORIAL WEEKENDS WE HAVE BEEN COMING HERE. We watched the staff go from site to site with a new confirmation letter with price increase telling campers they needed to go to the office to pay the differience. We come to Granite Hill because its close to my sons house and we can spend time with the grandkids. But there are too many camp grounds around Gettysburg to have to put up with the way this campground owner SCAMS ITS PATRIONS.. Darlene White Adamstown Md

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank dwdardog
hanover, pa
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is our second year here and once again the grass and areas around the site are not mowed or taken care off. We even switched sites and both years it was the same. Then over at swings and ball fields they mowed but left huge piles of grass clips everywhere. Thinking this is how we found ticks on or first night. Bathrooms could be cleaner too. Shower pressure is also very low. And if all showers are full the water hardly comes out till someone else turns theres off. Considering its the first big holiday weekend you would think they would take more pride in there campground.

• Stayed May 2014
Browns Mills, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Love Granite Hill. Still can't get over the fact that the Rebel Army marched right through this area on their way to the big battle 150 years ago. 5 Miles west of town, this is the spot to RV at when visiting this historic town. The staff, Norman and Norma went out of their way to make our stay a relaxing one. Sites are good. Most have only water and electric so a trip to the dump station is recommended on the way out. They even had a disco music dance on Sat night so my wife was in heaven. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arlo K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

So, went opening weekend of 2014 back in March. Understanding it's opening weekend, I have to cut them some slack...right? Well, why should I? The overall experience was...less than steller.

From the drive in, to a very un-level site, to NO Cable TV, to NO water pressure, to low hangin tree branches above the camper. There simply wasn't anything really goo to say.

When I say no cable service, I mean it's dead, and based on other reviews, seems to have been for some time.

Throw in the deer crap everywhere (and I mean everywhere), and it's amazing we didn't catch something.

When I saw no water pressure, I it was said to them, they said there is enough to fill your tank (which took about 1 hr BTW), and then use your pump. Why they heck should I do that? That's what a full hookup if for. If I want to dry camp, I will do so, but never again here. Try KOA or something else. This place sucks.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank myexperiencematters
Flushing, Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed at Granite Hill Campground in early October of 2013 in a Motorhome. The campground hasn't been updated in several years. Our site appeared that it hadn't been cleaned up all summer - cigarette butts, bottle caps, twenty or more trimmed wire remnants, etc. The so called cable TV didn't work at all - o stations. In our 3 day stay, I was able to use the wi-fi hotspot for only about 10 minutes. The rest of the time I couldn't even find the signal, let alone get connected. There were an abundance of "stink bugs" on the outside of the Motorhome, a few of which made there way inside. At the next campground at which we stayed when I opened one of the bays, I was greeted with several hitch hiking "stink bugs" from Granite Hill. It is unbelievably overrated in the campground books. I would definitely not recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Granite Hill.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 507DonV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gettysburg
The Lodges at Gettysburg
Federal Pointe Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Liberty Mountain Resort
Liberty Mountain Resort
#1 of 1 in Carroll Valley

Been to Granite Hill Camping Resort? Share your experiences!