“Very Enjoyable”
Review of Artillery Ridge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Artillery Ridge
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My family stayed at Artillery Ridge and it was more than we expected. We stayed in the 5th Wheel Camper and it was very comfortable, clean and had everything you could want -TV, Radio, Micro, Stove, Fridge. We packed our own food, so we saved a good bit.

The staff were warm , friendly and very helpful. It was very quiet and peaceful at night with exception of a horse neigh every once in awhile - which we enjoyed because we love horses.

Speaking of horses, we took the 2 hour ride into the battlefield. We were given headsets and it was narrated along landmarks and you were given history throughout the ride. The horses were great and very calm. There were four attendants with our group, which made us feel comfortable in case something were to happen. They all were very pleasant and answered any questions you may have regarding the horses, the battlefield, etc. We saw all kinds of wildlife on our ride including fox, groundhogs, deer, rabbits. You really feel like you are back in time.

It was very close to everything - Battlefield, Shops, Museums, Resturaunts. There is a nightlife with quite a few taverns and pubs, plus plenty of ghost tours.

We can not wait to return and are planning our next trip there in a couple on months.

All in all this is one of my favorite vacations and I will be back soon.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Sharon M

Reviewed 30 June 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights in Gettysburg in late June, and spent one night at the Artillery Ridge campground. We reserved tent site 239 which is almost completely private which was really nice. The site didn't have a lot of grass, and we did have a little rain in the morning, so the dirt kind of turned to mud, but not a big deal. The lady checking us in was super nice and helpful. We felt we got our money's worth. You get a free pass to the Diorama up the road, but we didn't get a chance to go. Too busy touring the Battlefields... Anyway, we also did the historical 2 hour hourback tour. It was nice to see the battlefields that way, but my horse and my husband's were a little onrey. Most of the horses in our group of about 15-20 were very well behaved. It was kind of hard to focus on the historical lecture when my horse kept trying to run to the front of the line! It was fun, nonetheless, but maybe a little overpriced. And don't appreciate being yelled at by grumpy trail guides... I'm jusy sayin'!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeeRoyandSunshine
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I must say, I had read the reviews on Artillery Ridge Campground before I had booked the reservation for a log cabin and when I read the reviews it had made me very nervous! Almost all of the reviews were bad and disappointing. So needless to say I was hesitant when I had arrived! When we arrived and checked in, the check in staff was extremely pleasant! They were very quick in checking us in and had even called us to make sure we knew where the campground was at because we didnt arrive until about 9:30pm that night. They gave us plenty of information for gettysburg! They also had given us a heater for the log cabin which usually they charge $5 for and they had given it to us for free! We rented a 4 person log cabin and stayed in cabin number 4. When we drove to our site, I have to say I did not like the closeness of each of the cabins. You could hear the people walking by our cabin who stayed right next door but after the "quiet hours" you didnt hear anything! We walked into our cabin and it was beyond clean! The floors were very clean and had no bugs or anything like that! There was an AC unit in the window as well! The cabin had a double bed and a bunk bed as well. There is nothing much else to it but it was very clean! The showers and restrooms were next on the list of bad reviews and so they were next to check.The bathrooms were outdated but that was about it! It was clean as far as a campground goes! The showers were extremely clean as well. No bugs in the shower or anything that I have seen before at other campgrounds! I had taken a shower one morning and got hot water the ENTIRE time. And I could hear people flushing and taking showers as well, so I don't understand what the reviews were about beforehand. The whole campground itself was a little outdated but at the same time it was family owned so probably has been there the longest. They had free Wi-Fi as well but connection wasnt as great unless you were close to the office. The location to the center of gettysburg was 2 minutes, if that! Everything was so close and easy to get too! I would defiantely stay at this campground again and the prices were very reasonable!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ginafrye22
Reviewed 10 October 2010

If you are interested in touring the battlefields of Gettysburg, the location is excellent. Some sites are within short walking distance of the campground. If you're interested in horse camping or touring, this is your lucky day. If not, it can be an adventure navigating around the huge piles of horse manure left on the trails and roadways.

We booked our visit well in advance with a large group. The office staff was rather difficult to deal with, and there was much confusion at registration. The appearance of the campground was unremarkable, with gravel roads, some trees, and sparse grass on the sites. The grounds were fairly well maintained. Showers/restrooms were clean, but in dire need of repair and updating.

The WiFi signal was strong from our location, but the actual service was terrible. It was virtually unusable except for the most basic of functions, such as e-mail. Even then, it was incredibly slow, or just locked up. This was the consensus of the entire group.

We do a lot of camping all over the U.S. and Canada and, typically, we research in advance. This experience causes me to doubt the veracity of the Good Sam, and Woodall's rating criteria. For the rates they charge ($48+ per day), this NOT a good value. While Gettysburg was a great experience, it's very unlikely we will ever be back to this campground.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank CrackerBaby
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Found campsite to be very noisy well after midnight. If you have small children I would stay away from this campsite. Found the staff in the front office to be very helpfull but keep some tools handy as you will probably have to fix the toilet after you use it. Which is puzzling because apparently they're proud to show off a row of used toilets in the workshop as you enter the trail ride area, Showers are weak and constantly go to cold, but water did come out, hence the three stars. Campsites are too close with little wooded areas. If you like to camp in a field like woodstock this is for you. We won't be going back.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We stayed here in August for 2 nights while we toured Gettysburg, and it was the perfect location as you're right by the main battlefields and right down the road from the visitor center and the cemetery.

The staff were very nice when we checked in, and they were able to change our site # as we were having difficulty pulling into our site as the neighbor's truck was in the way and they weren't there to move it.

The campground was about 1/2 full with some seasonal campers and some overnighters. The playground was great for our 5 and 3-year old kids, and the pool was small but was adequate for our kids too.

We enjoyed staying here and would stay here again next time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lkrebs25
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed at AR for almost a week and found the park very clean. The ladies who work the front desk were very pleasant and helpful to us. Then we met the owners......they should really retire....we dealt with two older men who were extremely rude and when we rented the pool for our Boy Scout Troop paying upfront for the service apparently they (the owners) weren't informed we paid already paid. One of the owners came to us and said we weren't allowed in the pool and after showing them our receipt was basically told he didn't care. We asked for our money back which he refused and told us he could care less if we returned. I was there for the entire event and the boys weren't loud and just kids swimming. One of the families we traveled with rented one of their cabins which had a very strong odor of sewage. They were told it was probably a dead rodent under the flooring and not to worry about it.....can you imagine??? I will say our camping spot was clean however when I pulled in there was a stop "line" to where the camper should stop. I initially stopped at the line but my sewage line (standard length) wouldn't reach so I had to pull up a foot or so. One of the maintenence men stopped and asked me why "all these campers at this spot" always pulled forward. I explained the sewage line issue and his response was "why wouldn't you buy a longer sewage line"? If that many campers had the problem wouldn't you think the problem lies with the spot and not the campers? Besides, I used to have one of the 12 foot lines and for a smaller camper like we own there's not a good place to store it.....you have to either put it in your vehicle or garage.....and if the line is too long the sewage doesn't drain properly.
The location was excellent....you're down the road from the town of Gettysburg and again, the ladies at the front desk were incredibly helpful and nice. One night I witnessed one of the owners being very disrespectful to one of the ladies because he felt she didn't charge a Boy Scout Troop (not ours) staying at the site enough money. If he was going to say something to the lady he should have done it in private.
We absolutely will not stay at this site again. I'll drive a little longer next time to avoid the rudeness and incredible disrespect we experienced.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends