“Great getaway”

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Akron, Ohio
“Great getaway”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The lodges are very nice, spacious, very close to the battlefield and town, but you feel like your 50+ miles into farmland=very peaceful and relaxing. We've been to Gettysburg a dozen times it seems like, and we've stayed in the cheapest to the nicest motels to hotels, and this is the place we'll come back to from now on. Staff were very friendly, and accommodating.

Room Tip: Be careful where you park as the designated parking areas can get kinda slippery when it rains. We...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 617ScottM
Denise S, at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the positive feedback about our property in comparison to others. Your room tip was a good one too! Come back again soon and make sure you Fan us on Facebook too!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
michigan
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed at the Lousiana Lodge. Nice 1 bedroom lodge with 2 queen beds in the room and 1 pull out couch. The breakfeast is great. We had a great time in this beautiful lodge.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dhunt09
Denise S, Social Media Manger at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thanks for choosing The Lodges at Gettysburg for you stay! We are glad you had a nice stay in the "Louisiana Lodge"! Please Fan us on Facebook too and come back soon!
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We had a lovely stay. I've only positive feedback for this terrific place, away from the hustle of Gettysburg proper. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the pond, and its wildlife, the views and the song chorus of animals. Okay, its our kinda place. If quite and nature appeal, this place will appeal.

The Lieutenant's cabin was clean, well stocked, comfortable (and we prepared for it by bringing our own wine, breakfasts, and out own coffee grounds).

I am from the North, however, and we don't use A/C. So I would only recommend screens on the windows and doors so that nature breezes could come in. But that is such a minor absence of commodity (even if highly recommended).

Room Tip: Stay two days for maximum pleasure (heck I wished I'd had four, as this is a fine place relaxin...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janet S
, Social Media Manger at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for the great review! WE pride ourselves in trying to make each guest experience as memorable and perfect as possible! We are glad you enjoyed your time here with us at The Lodges at Gettysburg, 'Like' us on Facebook too!
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I found this place on Hotels.com and thought it would be nice to stay out of the city. The room description said “Room Only” and not being sure what this meant I contacted the hotel directly. I was told this was a PRIVATE lodge and that “Room Only” just meant there was no kitchenette. When I enquired if there was a patio or porch we could sit out on I was told yes, there was. Sounds great, right? So I booked the room. When we arrived I was informed that our ATTACHED room (therefore not private) was on the service road with a STOOP (not patio or balcony). So let’s recap… Tiny cracker box sized room attached to another room with 4 people in it and paper thin walls. No porch or patio as promised. View of absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing was done to remedy the situation after I explained all of this to the guy who checked us in. Just “Sorry, don’t know who told you that…here’s your room key.” BEWARE, these people lie. So if you’re booking a room based on the description, just be warned.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank mrw1970
Denise S, General Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
I am truly upset to be reading this review, as all of our front desk associates are fully trained in our room types and what is included in them. In researching your reservation, I cannot find any indication that the reservation was viewed prior to your arrival. Our system tracks each time a reservation is opened and who opened it. I am not sure with whom you spoke, but I am sorry that there was some type of misunderstanding regarding your room amenities. We have an extremely honest and caring staff and they would never try to say that you were getting something that you were not. We did try to upgrade you upon arrival, however, we did express that we were sold out that particular day and unfortunately could not move your reservation to a private lodge. Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and if we had the room to move you, we would have. We offered our front porches at the main lodge and tried to make your stay a good one. I am very disappointed that you feel the way you do about the Lodges and I am sorry that we failed to provide you with the room you thought you were promised. I hope that you can consider giving us a try again, as what you experienced was not the norm for our property. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further so that I can understand where the problem was in the reservation process.
Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed at the Lodges at GB during the annual reenactment. It is a nice place with gorgeous views and nice rooms. When we reserved only a queen room by mistake, they brought a very comfy and thick pallet for my son. He slept well. Thank you!

We had no Internet the entire time. When I called the front desk about it, I got some attitude. They said the tech people would look into it, but no one did. Didn't have a connection through our entire stay. We only stayed two nights or I would have pushed it more.

There's only one lamp in the room and it does not have an on/off switch. Must be unplugged to turn off. Required me to get completely out of bed just to turn on the lamp. TV is tiny. Not a lot of counter space for stuff. A desk would be nice. Huge fluffy towels! Nice! Great in-town recommendations for dining and helpful maps. We did believe that we would be able to see monuments or battlefields, but the hotel is really not part of all that. A/C works very well.

I docked them a lot for no Internet. It's a big deal to me. And they were not too concerned with helping. Otherwise, nice place.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank ajenks22
, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our views and your accommodations. Thanks you for the feedback and suggestions. We are always working hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful stay and will continually make improvements int he areas that are needed. Thanks again and FAN us on Facebook too!
Belleville, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Let me assure you this is NO DISNEY resort- Goldilocks designed this to get even with the 3 Bears.
We wanted something quiet- out of town
Location nice-quiet- NOWHERE to sit outside (or inside) your wooded cabin to enjoy the setting-
The bed was so high you had to climb in- I am 5'2- cabable of the climb - good thing cause
1 chair in the room- a rocker- so short it was too low for me (the person who had to climb up the bed).
Only 1 bedside table- no other tables or places to put computer, cup, book, anything.
Shower - big :). Shower curtain little ;(, 3 inches too short.

Breakfast center- HIGH Pedastal tables (unstable) stools- high that spun as you CLIMBED onto them. The second day they had a second site open with normal seating. We knew we couldn't take it back to the room-no table -no chair...
Check in 4 arrived at 5 not clean....yet. There is more- but really ....enough

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bepep
, Social Media Manger at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
We are sorry you feel this way about your stay at The Lodges. We do thank yo for your feedback and as always we continually work to improve our services.
Orlando
Reviewed 1 July 2012

This lodge is in a gorgeous setting. Wish we could have stayed longer - lovely rooms. Everything is new and beautiful. I do agree with the reviewer below that the bathrooms are a little cold with all the rock - some throw rugs would be nice. They had all the amenties that you need and the beds were great. We laughed hard as my husband didn't know if he could climb that high! The breakfast was very adequate. they have a beautiful main building. I'm sure in a few years this lodge will be the #1 place to stay in Gettysburg as it is only 10 minutes from downtown and the setting is just gorgeous. Two suggestions I would make as this new lodge is a property in the process of being the BEST. One - get a sign on the main highway - 116/Middle Road. If the Transmission Shop sign wasn't there I would have missed it every time we were on the road. Also cut back the bushes at your entrance as your 2 signs are hard to see until you are right there - hated slamming on my brakes each time so I wouldn't pass it. My 2nd suggestion - paint your cedar planks the beautiful green you have on the main building or at least stain them. The weathering in just 1 year is making the black run up the walls and it cheapens each cabin. I hate to see the cabins spoiled with the ugly black as we can tell you have spent a lot of money using the beautiful rock that is on all your cabins. This is just an eyesore that can be corrected easily. I wish you well - you have a beautiful lodge! We will definitely return when we are in the area.

Room Tip: If you are visiting Gettysburg this is the place to stay - you feel like you are right in the action...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Social Media Manager at The Lodges at Gettysburg, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank you for reviewing us on Trip Advisor! We are glad you enjoyed our wonderful setting and our rooms. We are glad you would come back and appreciate the nice comments and suggestions you have given us. Thank you and please fan us on Facebook too!