“Fun, educational, & sentimental in a good way.”

Victorian Photography Studio
Ranked #1 of 8 Fun & Games in Gettysburg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Whether you want to capture your family's precious vacation or get striking Civil War images , Victorian Photography Studio can make it happen with our extensive Civil War Wardrobe . You can count on us to deliver what we promise. -We offer 19th century Wet-Plate photography with a short hisory lesson on how the process was done. -We also offer the less expensive modern Digital photography.and Now you can rent Civil War clothing for any occasion.Come on in and see some 19th century cameras and props.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our time with the Victorian Photography Studio. They are a busy place, so I would definitely recommend a reservation. They have a nifty online reservation system that's live so you can see changes to the schedule as it happens. I was surprised at how much I learned!! Due to the unique process of making a daguerreotype, which takes some time, they fill some of that downtime with a brief history lesson on it. Thy explain how it works and why the "tin-types" look the way they do. I really enjoyed that. My wife is really a Southern-Belle "wanna-be", and she LOVED getting dressed up in an old dress. The tin itself took an hour to dry once we were all done. It is truly breathtaking! We're going to frame it and it will definitely be a handsome addition to our family's generational stories as time goes on. It looks like we were actually in the 1800's. Fun, educational, and sentimental in a good way. The owners are superb people and took the time to get to know us a bit so we would be more comfortable as we got closer to the "pose time". I have no complaints and I would recommend this to everyone. I highly recommend the authentic "tin-type" photo if you're a history buff (which we are)! Be sure to plan ahead, make a reservation, and budget enough time. Worth every penny.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

There are several victorian style photographers to choose from in Gettysburg. We were drawn to this place based on the recommendations of others. We chose a digital package and thought it was very reasonably priced at $34 (1-8x10, 2-5x7s)

We had a lot of fun deciding what to wear, and the woman who helped us was very knowledgeable in helping us choose, based on what kind of look we were going for. She took several photos, shooting until we were satisfied.

The prints were ready in about 15-20 mins.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

VPS is so much more than a great momento of a fabulous trip! It is so much fun! In fact, meeting Tish and Del is part of the reason i spend so much time and money sewing re-enactor dresses! Their passion for what they do is only matched by their passion for the era. Everyone at VPS is incredibly knowledgable about Victorian and CIvil War dress, customs, and photography practices. You get a lesson and a fantastic souvenier! I am in Gettysburg at least three times a year, every year and never miss a shot to have my "image" taken.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

very nice and pictures look very real and victorian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I went here and got an old picture take of ourselves...SO awesome! They do it just like they did in that era, with the same camera, and the same method of picture development. The owner gives you a lesson and lets you see the whole process taking place. They dress you up VERY authentically, and do the lady's hair, etc. Definitely would recommend this.