“What a wonderful way to experience Gettysburg!”

Hickory Hollow Horse Farm
Chilhowie, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What a wonderful way to experience Gettysburg!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We took a 2-hour ride as I thought that would be all the kids would want to do. Pam was very gracious in accommodating us at 7 AM. We had an 8 year old that was very wary of riding, and Pam was just super with him, and allowed him to have a very memorable experience. Our battlefield guide Terry was very knowledgeable and answered all our questions. The kids want to return and take a 4-hour ride now! When we make it back to Gettysburg, we will be sure to do so!

Visited May 2014

“Great way to get the battlefield experience!”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My wife and I took a 2 hour ride and loved it! We had never ridden horses before, but the staff made it so easy for us to get comfortable. Make sure to go with a licensed guide, they are so knowledgable and more than willing to answer questions. We both had two of their largest horses "James" and "LJ" they were as gentle as could be! Later that same day we took a 2 hour driving tour with a licensed guide from the visitors center and had another great time! All of the guides we had were top notch! Hickory Hollow and the park service do a wonderful job for us all.We will be back!
Dean & Jacala Ryberg
Blue Rock, Ohio

Mclean
“"Best Way to Experience Gettysburg!"”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had the best tour and time riding with Hickory Hollow Horse Farm two weekends ago! I went with a group of friends, and as a novice rider, they took expert care of me and assuaged all worries! The views view the horse trail were exquisite, the information from the guide was personal and didn't feel too rehearsed or stuffy, and it was the best time! Highly recommended and must-do while visiting Gettysburg!

Dallas, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The Only Way to See the Battlefield”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Forget bus tours, this is the way to see the battlefield. Riding through on horseback gives you a sense of what it might have been like at that time. Our tour guide, Terry, was very nice and knowledgeable. Pam was great at matching us with the perfect horse. You won't have problems with the horses. They are well trained and seem to know exactly what to do on the trail ride which was great for me because I have never been on a horse. I booked a 2 hour tour and if I would have known I would have liked it so much I would have booked a longer tour. This was the highlight of my trip and would definitely use them again. Thank you for a great experience!

1 Thank Dyan G
Lock Haven, PA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Couldn't have been better!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I've visited Gettysburg close to 30 times in the past 4 years but this was my first horseback tour of the battlefield, and it was great. Ours was a small party – Pam, myself, Terry our guide and a couple from Illinois with their grown daughter. Pam really went out of her way to match up the horses to each rider's ability or inexperience. I was paired with Levi who was easy and forgiving. Both Pam and Terry made sure we all knew safety issues and steering and also some of the quirks of some of the horses – Sunny doesn't like to go through mud puddles.

We went on a two hour tour, which was perfect for me. It was mid-morning, not hot, not cold. Terry was fabulous with her information about the battle and how we were seeing it like the Confederates would have in July 1863. They had no idea what was over the rolling hills to their east. It was the first time this was really evident to me.

All in all, the whole experience couldn't have been better. You could tell that the horses were well cared for and well loved. Thank you, Pam, for a wonderful time!

Visited May 2014