“Customer service needs significant improvement. If safety is number one it doesn't show.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hickory Hollow Horse Farm

Hickory Hollow Horse Farm
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I came with a 10 year old who had never been on a horse before. The staff were not welcoming to us at all; made us walk to a table behind their horse trailers to get a consent form and a helmet which was hidden behind a trailer. Gave no explanation about the horses selected for us or any reassurance they were observant of the animals and were monitoring everything. The horses were bothered by flies and would repeatedly stamp their feet to shake them off. While this may be expected horse behavior, if you are not familiar with horses and are sitting on one when it does this, it can be unsettling, especially to a child. It is apparent they understand horses well and can handle them but they are not engaging with customers and were speaking in an unfavorable manner about the other horse ride company next to them. Overall lack of respect for customers and other horse professionals. I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor prior to going and liked their website but the personal encounter left me with a negative impression. Very disappointed.

8 Thank Shandien

Jackson, New Hampshire
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Thank you for doing what you do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I LOVED this ride. You are on beautiful horses, riding on the real battlefield along Pickett's charge and listening to a registered guide that makes the events come alive.

Pam is the Boss and she will handle all your questions via phone or email leading up to the day. Bring water, camera and a hat. (and cash to tip the guide and the wranglers). Jeans, sneakers and a t shirt seemed to be the best.

My family doesn't ride and we were very comfortable on our horses. I will say that these are not the dumb bag a bones trail horses, most "Trail Rides" use. The kind that just follow the tail in front of them no matter what the rider does. These where gentle well trained riding horses that know the ropes, but still respond to the riders commands. We were out for 2 + hours on the two hour ride and our legs and butts were fine with that length of time.

Again the best thing about this trip is the connection to the battlefield you get riding a horse across the ridge and toward the Union Army. If you have teens this is the trip for you.

London, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Very well organised and instructed horse back ride through the battlefields. The tour guide was highly knowledgeable and despite the heat (over 90 degrees) I enjoyed the experience very much. Well worth the money.

Irmo, SC
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“The best way to see the battlefield…you feel you are really getting it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had a group of 8 and there were probably 5 other people we didn't know on the ride with us. We had Terry (a licensed guide) with us. Boy, she knows her history. We choose the 2 hour ride which was a good length for the non riders in the group. The history that Terry provides is so great. We would ride for a while and then stop in a group and Terry would provide information and ask for questions. You can't really hear a guide while riding on the trail, so I was relieved that we would stop in a group. Pam was great! We made reservations and didn't have to put a deposit down. We arrived about 45 minutes early just to make sure we didn't miss our time. There are porta potties at the parking area. She quickly matched horses to riders. The horses were very well behaved and the only thing Pam asked us not to do was let the horses eat on the trail. We did get to trot a tiny bit up one big hill. This isn't really about the horseback ride though, it is more about how differently you view things while on horseback during this war. And being in the spots where battles were fought while on the horses. Someday, we want to return and do the all day ride. We'll have to get our husbands in better riding shape for that though. I rode Rock and he was a perfect gentleman. Loved him. Would have snuck him into the car if he would have fit. Our youngest - age 7 rode Spirit. She didn't have any problem at all. She got to ride right behind our wrangler (Pam sent 2 on our trip to help out). She handled Spirit with no problem until her nose started bleeding. The wranglers (Chris and I can't remember the young girl's name) gave her a tissue and ponied her until her nose stopped bleeding. Both wranglers were very helpful. We stopped in one spot and they took pictures of us with our cameras and phones. I loved that you are allowed to have cameras and phones on the ride. We rode out west last summer and that wasn't allowed (non riders in bear country with cameras…must not work out. lol). My 12 year old rode Tigger and loved him. I can't express enough how well behaved these horses are. They know their job and do it. My brother-in-law's horse spooked at a bag he had tied to the saddle (we think) and jumped a couple feet and scared my sisters horse, but neither one got out of the line of horses. Pam has helmets available if you don't have one. Pam also provided each one of us with a drink holder saddle bag and a bottle of water. Talk about customer service. We really enjoyed the ride and can't thank Pam enough. WE LOVED IT!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank MurfeeW
Battle Ground, Washington
“Amazing views!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The whole experience was awesome! Pam was very professional and did a perfect job of matching riders and horses. Our guide Tasha was great and I love the fact that her daughter gets to participate when possible. What a lucky little girl! When I make it back to Gettysburg, I will definitely be doing this again (though next time with a little more sunscreen on my shoulders :) Such a beautiful place and an amazing time.

Visited June 2014