“Highly Recommend Mr. John Winkelman”

Ranked #3 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly Recommend Mr. John Winkelman”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I enjoyed an in-depth historical tour led by Mr. John Winkelman. We cannot stress enough that he made our trip to Gettysburg. He was insightful, witty, and professional.

We learned more in 2 1/2 hours than we could have on our own or in a large tour group. Kudos to the Licenses Battlefield Guides for the caliber of your team.

venice, fl
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“You will learn more in two hours…...”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My family visited Gettysburg this July, during the 151st anniversary since the battle. My Great, Great, Great Grandfather and his father both fought in the battle at Gettysburg. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and had been to the park numerous times.

While planning our trip, I read about the “Association of Licensed Battlefield Guides”. A little leery, we decided on having a guide take us around the area.

James Pangburn was our awesome guide. You have the choice to drive or allow the guide to drive. James drove, and was extremely careful with our vehicle, and I learned more in the 2 plus hours with him than the times prior by myself.

I highly recommend this service, and if James is available, ask for him.

Baltimore, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Great Tour, thanks Joe!!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

July 6, 2014
We've toured the Gettysburg battlefield at least 6 or 7 times. We've done it with licensed guides and without, by audio CD in a car and on a motorcycle (seriously fun on the bike!), and just driving through on our own. Today we did a Segway tour with a licensed guide. My Wife and I have done Segways before but my 19 year old Son hadn't. Joe Mieczkowski was our Licensed Battlefield Guide. If you've never had the benefit of touring the battlefield with a licensed guide, I strongly recommend one. It's just a better experience and having toured the battlefield with guides previously, I can tell you Joe is one of the best. He is likable, humorous, and very knowledgeable. Joe encouraged us to ask questions and he took time thoroughly answer. He provided insight into Gettysburg that we wouldn't have received otherwise. We had a great time and lots of fun, thanks Joe for making this a very memorable trip; we'll be repeat customers of yours in the future!
Tim from Maryland

1 Thank Myti3c
Florida
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Itinerary for Two-Day Visit (Tour is last paragraph)”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Summer of 2013: Aunt, Uncle and 13-Year-Old Nephew on a summer trip. We had an excellent visit here. We only had two days for Gettysburg, so we saw the Museum & Visitor Center, the Gettysburg Diorama and the Seminary Ridge Museum on the first day and took a private, 3-hour tour of the battlefield on day two. This review covers all our activities. If you do nothing else, see the museum and take a private tour.

The Museum is an excellent overview of the war and the role Gettysburg played. Extensive displays of artifacts and the Cyclorama displays the battlefield layout. The progress of the battle is demonstrated by sequentially lighting up various parts of the Cyclorama with a narrative explaining what is happening at the moment. Outside, Park Rangers demonstrated the uniforms and daily lives of soldiers. Very interesting. This is a must-do before touring the battlefield itself.

The Diorama was interesting to see and provided some details not found in the museum, but it is a static display that might lose the kids. It does not take long to do, so, if you ignore admission fees, is worth doing. (But if you have to skip something, this would be it.)

The Seminary Ridge Museum is really interesting. Several floors demonstrate aspects of the war not shown in other exhibits. Of particular interest to me was care of the wounded. When you think about the state of medical art at the time and sheer number of injuries and the extent of those injuries, hospital care was actually magnificent and saved a lot of people.

Private Tour on Day Two: Through a friend and Civil War buff, several months before our visit, we were introduced to a licensed Battlefield Tour Guide by the name of Dave Richards. We discussed our nephew’s interest in the war and asked for a tour that would allow for significant interaction between the nephew and the tour guide. Dave offers a two hour tour (around $55 in 2013) and a three hour tour (around $85 in 2013). We opted for the three hour tour to get extra time for explanations and to see a few places not available on the briefer tour. Best arrangement we have ever made. Dave is an expert on the Gettysburg Battlefield and the war, in general. He drove our car with the nephew in the passenger seat and their conversations were electric. He has a wonderful way of explaining things to youngsters (and adults) and he gave us views of the battle that you would probably not get just by driving/walking around. We did not want the tour to end. I suspect that, if you were a real Civil War buff, you could hire Dave for a full day, or more, and get an experience that no one else has ever had. We can’t speak highly enough about this guy.
Dave Richards - "your local battlefield guide" - E-mail: dr@pa.net

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Steve G
Canton, Ohio
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“To understand the battle of Gettysburg, start with a licensed battlefield guide”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is the best way to understand the 3 day battle at Gettysburg. Take this tour first in the comfort of your own car. This will give you a first hand experience as to the events of the 3 days in July 1863. It also helps to read up on the battle of Gettysburg, the generals in charge and or watch the movie Gettysburg. This will help you as to each days events as you drive thru the park as to where each battle took place in and around Gettysburg. Our licensed battlefield guide was Jim Clouse a 26 year guide veteran whom is very knowledgeable on the events of the battle. All the other places to visit in Gettysburg should follow the tour and everything will make more sense.

Visited June 2014