“Very pleased”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gettysburg
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Touring the Gettysburg battlefields for a couple of days, our family of 5 spent 1 night at the Country Inn & Suites.

It's about 5-7 minutes' drive to the Visitors Center, and a free shuttle bus runs there every hour.
The hotel is right by an outlet shopping center. TGIFriday's is right across the parking lot. Parking at the hotel was easy. No problems.

We got a suite for our family: 2Q + a fold-out couch in a sitting/TV room. Extra sink, microwave, and fridge. Very very comfortable for our purposes. The room was clean. Everything worked fine. Internet was easy & free.

There is a smallish indoor pool and a big jacuzzi. We used these for about half an hour and really enjoyed them after a long touring day. There is also an exercise room, which we did not try.

Front desk service was superb, and so was the breakfast staff in the morning. Fresh-baked cookies and coffee & tea are always at the front desk (free). Breakfast is complimentary: eggs, sausage, waffles, potatoes, cereal, rolls/bagels/etc, fruit, yogurt, coffee & tea, juice... WOW. It was really good, and a sweet time-and-money-saver for our crew.

We did have one drawback, which was the heat. It was way too hot in our room. We actually had the A/C on and a window open in February.

Other than that, I have no complaints. Let's be clear: this is not a luxury resort. It's a family-friendly hotel chain. So when I rate it 5 stars, I mean it's excellent for what it is. We would surely return. The price was right!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank travelmama15

Reviewed 29 February 2012

This is my second time staying here... I love this place! I will definitely be back!!! The people are so friendly, the beds are super comfortable, the rooms are really clean, the fresh baked cookies are a plus, the free breakfast is okay, but it's fine if you just want a quick bite, and the location can't be beat! See you next year Country Inn and Suites!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank momof2kyds
Reviewed 26 February 2012

didnt honor coupon and parkin lot empty .she said were goin to be full .then she preceded to offer me a room at 149.00.at regular rate .i wish they would honor coupons or dont allow them in coupon books.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robert b
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Not too much time in the room on this overnighter but it was nicely furnished and very comfortable. The small living room had a couch, upholstered chair, and desk set. Lighting was good throughout. Bathroom was neither too large or small, water pressure good, and everything worked. There was also a wet bar sink across from the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the dedicated HVAC unit is controlled by the occupant. The price was attractive making the furnishings a good value. The breakfast was very satisfying with both hot and cold items. I thought the selection was good enough to please any person's tastes; it was not an austere venue. Cookies and apples at the front front desk. I couldn't think of anything more to ask for. Definitely worth staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank SeenEnough2Know
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We went skiing at Ski Liberty and stayed at this hotel. It was about a 1/2 hour from the slopes, but was perfect for our family. We had a suite which, albeit small, was fine. We could stay up later while our kids slept in the other room. The pool has a decent indoor pool and a very hot dipping pool/jacuzzi. This helped burn off the kids remaining energy and sooth sore muscles from skiing. The breakfast buffet was standard and got too crowded, but we appreciated that it was included. The front desk was very helpful. The hotel is right next to the outlet malls if you feel the need to go shopping. Gettysburg is a charming historical town with a lot to do. Overall, this was a fine, no thrills family hotel.

Room Tip: Get a suite if traveling with family.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dana-n-David
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I took advantage of the large discount offerd by this hotel for 2 days on New Years weekend. Booked a studio suite with a king bed. Room was nice with 2 seperated areas and 2 TV's and a sofa bed. Room and bath were very clean. Bed felt a little hard and lumpy. TV's were old and in large cabinets and could use some upgrading. Rooms would seem a lot larger with flat screens.
Breakfast area was busy and especially busy on New Years morning when there was no place to sit. We made a later attempt to eat and found a table and had to clean it first. The 2 women on duty seemed to be overwhelmed by the large crowd. There were a lot of large families with some very undisiiplinned kids whitch were making a huge mess. Had to feel sorry for the 2 women who were doing ther best. They did keep the food area stocked and everything was good
Pool area was nice but again busy. Pool is small in comparison to most hotels, but the sauna was bigger then most.
Hotel is very close to the battlefield visitor center. (5 minutes). We also walked across the parking lot to TGIFridays for dinner on our first night. Good food and very handy. Outlet center is also an easy walk.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PennaWright1
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights while I was Christmas shopping at the Outlet Mall.
The staff was warm and friendly. My room was a studio suite on the ground floor and fit my needs. The bed was comfortable till my second night there when a felt a sharp on my side.
I got out of bed and felt around the sheets to find a push pin inbedded between the mattress cover and top sheet.
I was scratched from the pin. The following morning I took the push pin and went to the front desk to tell them of the problem. Surely the housekeeping would have found this pin when they made the bed I told them. I was given a refund for my room and an apology.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank deedeeFairfaxVA
travelbwj, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Gettysburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

deedeeFairfaxVA,

On behalf of all of us, I wanted to apologize for what occured during your stay with us. Cleanliness and guest comfort is our number one concern for all of our guests. We strive to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations while they're with us, and this incident is certainly not up to our standards. We have reviewed all of our housekeeping procedures to ensure that such an event never occurs again.

If you would like to contact me personally, please do so at: bjohnson@hlihotels.com

Thank you for staying with us, and thanks for your review.

Regards,