“Ghost Locked Me Out!”

Tillie Pierce House Inn
Ranked #18 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My grandson and I stayed at this inn during our travels in Gettysburg. I had already read Tillie's book and had a good idea what I wanted to see. It was a great experience also, for a 16 year old. We could walk to many historic places, eat at the restaurants and go on a ghost tour. We visited or had over five places a day to look at and explore. We experienced nothing of a ghost like nature; however, I was locked out. When Spookie, the owner, sent Josh to let us in, his key didn't work either. We wiggled, pushed, pulled, huffed and puffed and no go. Neither my key nor Josh's worked. My grandson and I were the only guests in the inn and no other people were on the premises. For over an hour I had tried to get in. My grandson was sleeping and didn't hear his cell phone so I was stuck. Finally, Josh said to the spirits, "Look guys, this nice lady wants to go to her room rest. She is not here to bother you." Bamm............locked turned. I got cold chills and was a little leary but I had to go in. My grandson was there..........That was the only experience I had with ghosts. Breakfast was great. Room was great and we spent several days there. We stayed in the pink room and there wasn't a TV. There should be one in very room, regardless. I loved it and would go again. As I am getting older I only hope I have the chance to return. Thanks to Spookie and Shannon and Tech and all the Tillie Pierce modern family. I haven't stopped talking about all our experiences yet. What a wonderful trip. I cried often for the soldiers, for the people who lost so much on their farms, for Tillie, for the Weikerts, for the Shrivers, for Jennie Wade and in essence for the entire Gettysburg community.

Room Tip: Anyone going to a B&B should not expect swimming pools and fitness centers. Instead, go for a S...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Karen S

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Great Location. Very historic house....very friendly staff.......now the negatives....I understand the owners own several different businesses in Gettysburg...there is no attention to detail...While the inn and rooms are very clean there are no nice little extras as in most B and B's......no hot water of coffee, light snacks available during the day or night....No soaps in the rooms...bring your own......better breakfeast at a motel 8.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe000000
Reviewed 26 June 2012

It was exciting for me to stay in a house, right in town, that was the home of a girl who lived through the battle and wrote to tell about it. I read Tillie Pierce's book while staying there, which greatly added to my experience. The exterior looks "Civil War period", but the interior has been modernized. Don't look for vintage furniture or artifacts for the most part. Breakfast is continental, but a nice selection was offered. Within walking distance to everything, and on the bus route. Free off-street parking is available (although I did get parked in one morning by another guest).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PnJ202
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Very friendly and informative personnell, clean and quiet location, even though it is right in town. They provide what they call a continental breakfast, whis is fine for me since I don't really eat much in the morning, but they still provide plenty to choose from and take the time to ask if you have any food allergies or special dietary needs. You get more than what you pay for here, and the rates are very reasonable when compared to the other bed and breakfasts nearby. The only disappointment is that we didn't see any ghosts- lol.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tsdgirl
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Gettysburg is known for its history and its ghosts. And if you're looking for the real deal, there's a good chance you'll find both at the Tillie Pierce House. On the first night, my wife and I really were actually touched by what the staff claim are playful child spirits. Our bed coverings were also removed by unseen hands at about 2:00 AM...and three other guests told us they had the same experience. Go in with an open mind. You might be surprised.

The staff was very friendly and the place was clean. The continental breakfast was nothing amazing, but it was tasty and quite filling. Shopping, restaurants and some of the sites are well within walking distance. Overall, it's my opinion that a stay at the Tillie Pierce house is well worth the money. And you might come home with more than the usual "what-I-did-on-my-vacation" story.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D S
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Great location (w/in walking distance of historic downtown and shopping, restaurants), friendly and helpful staff, super clean. Bedroom was small, but nice size private bath. Breakfast was low point - could have gotten same continental fare at any chain hotel. Nothing homemade. But, very happy with stay overall. Parking behind building was a plus.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R L
Reviewed 15 May 2012

All were very helpful during our two day stay. My wife and I stayed in the Tillie Pierce bedroom.
We can both tell you "Yes" spirits do exist in this B&B. During an EVP session a question was asked in reference to where Tillie assisted with the wounded?
A male voice answered with one word,"WEIKERT". Yes that is the location where Tillie did assist the surgeons!
We also had our covers pulled off our bed at night. Actually we found this more amusing than scary.
Breakfast was good and our hostess was great. Location is in the heart of Gettysburg and all shopping and restaurants are totally accessible.
We would stay again.
Have fun if you choose this B&B. You'll also enjoy the motif. It feels as if you're in that time in history!
Thanks Tillie Tom and Gloria Mroz