“Ghostly Experience”

Ranked #18 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Glenside, Pennsylvania
“Ghostly Experience”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We went to the Tillie Pierce House Inn for a weekend getaway and Mystery dinner weekend.
There were 4 of us and we all loved it.
The rooms were clean and well maintained,
Everyone was super friendly and very helpful in making our stay very special.
The continental breakfast had a lot of choices and the tables settings were exquisite.
They offered freshly cooked bacon,fruit,homemade cookies and muffins,toast,bagels, and lots more.
I did have a ghostly encounter with a cat ghost during my last night there.
I felt something kneading and pulling my hair and then sitting on top of my head.
My blankets were also thrown on the floor twice in one night.
The inn is located close to the historic downtown area.
It is an easy walk to many of the museums and attractions.
I would definitely recommend this inn to anyone who wants to have a ghostly good time
Make sure you go on the Ghost Tour and Ghost Hunts with the real Johlene "Spooky" Riley.
You will not be sorry!!

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms and one is a suite. They are all very nice and have their own bathrooms
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JEWELRYLADY39

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Franklin Park, NJ
Reviewed 2 September 2012

There were some very positive things about The Tillie Pierce House. It had a great location close to the historic downtown area, and the rooms were pleasing, beautiful, and extremely clean. The breakfast was plentiful, although I would have liked some hot food. The hot water provided for hot cereal never seemed hot enough. Also, a little more attention to afternoon refreshment would have been nice. However, I was taken aback by the room temperature (69 degrees) and had difficulty sleeping. The rooms had no individual temperature controls and the vent (positioned above the bed in the ceiling) could not be closed.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary J
Fairport, New York
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My daughter and I spent last night at the Tillie Pierce House Inn and we'll definitely return. It's a wonderful inn. We were the only ones there so we had an opportunity to check out all 5 rooms. All are wonderful, each with their own bathrooms. the largest has it's own sitting room. We stayed in the Tillie Pierce room, which is the smallest but a great room. There is also a sitting room on the second floor with cable. The first floor has a beautiful sitting room, as well as a nice dining room where breakfast is available in the morning. Shannon was there and she was wonderful to us. We really felt right at home, and it was a nice respite from the hectic, busy atmosphere of so many tourists in town. I highly recommend this inn.

Room Tip: Two rooms at back don't have street noise, although it didn't keep us from having a good nig...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This place is definitely an inn, not a B&B. No on-site owner, no attention to detail, and a continental breakfast to be ashamed of (everything appeared to be out of a package). Arrived at 4:00 PM and waited a good ten minutes...no one appeared to be around. My husband called the main line...we saw the phone in front of us ring, and the phone forwarded over to a reservation agency. Not helpful. Finally a few more minutes later, a guy appeared out of the back to check us in. He was nice enough - but it was obvious that he's basically a check-in attendant - "here's the sitting area - breakfast is 7:30-10, have a nice night." Used to friendly inn & B&B check-ins with lots of details about the house, but not here. Very limited parking - 4 spots only - and one is reserved for the owner. Ended up parking on the street overnight (which made me nervous since we had seen one accident & one close call on Breckenridge from our room in the first hour we were there).

Very convenient to restaurants & attractions. Easy to walk so you can leave the car behind. Room was obviously recently renovated (fresh paint & drywall) but needs some attention to detail. Hated that they had moved the sink in the bathroom, but the old plumbing still hangs out into the room (they tried to hide it under a little table). Walls were already chipping & scuffed. Hairs all over the couch in our suite. Thin walls normally don't bother me much, but someone with a child was staying there when we were, so I got treated to some nighttime crying and a kid running up & down the stairs.

For $110/night (plus tax), for the area, it was fine. We'll probably try some place else next time, though. I'll pay a bit more for a better guest experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsKruse
TilliePierce, Owner at Tillie Pierce House Inn, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw. Unfortunately you are mistaken on several points. For instance, you stated that children were crying and running all night . Well, we do not allow children under the age of eight to stay at the Inn and the nights that you stayed with us we only had adults lodging with us.One of the owners does reside at the Inn, hence the "Owner's Parking" you mentioned in your review. Although we are an INN and not a B&B our continental breakfast served daily is quite generous. It includes eggs, bacon, muffins, toast, bagels, english muffins, fresh fruits, nuts, pastries, assorted cold and hot cereals, yogurt, fresh coffee, tea, milk and a number of different juices. For most folks this is considered plentiful.You are right in that we do have staff members to check in our guests. I am sorry that you had to wait ten minutes to check in, however as soon as you called our number we made sure to have someone there to greet you and show you around. We are under new management and ownership and we have added MANY personal touches to this lovely historical Inn and will of course continue to do so.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My grandson and I stayed at this inn during our travels in Gettysburg. I had already read Tillie's book and had a good idea what I wanted to see. It was a great experience also, for a 16 year old. We could walk to many historic places, eat at the restaurants and go on a ghost tour. We visited or had over five places a day to look at and explore. We experienced nothing of a ghost like nature; however, I was locked out. When Spookie, the owner, sent Josh to let us in, his key didn't work either. We wiggled, pushed, pulled, huffed and puffed and no go. Neither my key nor Josh's worked. My grandson and I were the only guests in the inn and no other people were on the premises. For over an hour I had tried to get in. My grandson was sleeping and didn't hear his cell phone so I was stuck. Finally, Josh said to the spirits, "Look guys, this nice lady wants to go to her room rest. She is not here to bother you." Bamm............locked turned. I got cold chills and was a little leary but I had to go in. My grandson was there..........That was the only experience I had with ghosts. Breakfast was great. Room was great and we spent several days there. We stayed in the pink room and there wasn't a TV. There should be one in very room, regardless. I loved it and would go again. As I am getting older I only hope I have the chance to return. Thanks to Spookie and Shannon and Tech and all the Tillie Pierce modern family. I haven't stopped talking about all our experiences yet. What a wonderful trip. I cried often for the soldiers, for the people who lost so much on their farms, for Tillie, for the Weikerts, for the Shrivers, for Jennie Wade and in essence for the entire Gettysburg community.

Room Tip: Anyone going to a B&B should not expect swimming pools and fitness centers. Instead, go for a S...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Karen S
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Great Location. Very historic house....very friendly staff.......now the negatives....I understand the owners own several different businesses in Gettysburg...there is no attention to detail...While the inn and rooms are very clean there are no nice little extras as in most B and B's......no hot water of coffee, light snacks available during the day or night....No soaps in the rooms...bring your own......better breakfeast at a motel 8.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe000000
Trafford, PA
Reviewed 26 June 2012

It was exciting for me to stay in a house, right in town, that was the home of a girl who lived through the battle and wrote to tell about it. I read Tillie Pierce's book while staying there, which greatly added to my experience. The exterior looks "Civil War period", but the interior has been modernized. Don't look for vintage furniture or artifacts for the most part. Breakfast is continental, but a nice selection was offered. Within walking distance to everything, and on the bus route. Free off-street parking is available (although I did get parked in one morning by another guest).

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple