In spite of my better judgement after reading some of the earlier reviews on this site, I booked my stay for a weekend in Gettysburg with a friend on Friday night. This afternoon I get a phone call regarding my reservation from someone with a very thick, hard to understand accent. She explained that she booked the room over the phone that we had booked online at the same time, so our reservation was not valid. I asked what she had to offer that was comparable and she told me that all she had was a room with 3 double beds and that it was going to be roughly $30 more for the night. When I said that I didn't see how their website screwing up was my fault and why I should have to pay more she offered me a Smoking room at the same price instead, we are nonsmokers who booked a nonsmoking room. When I said that this was not acceptable and that if that was the best she could do that I would have to cancel, she promptly told me that she did not want to have any problems when we arrived. I asked to speak to a manager, and she told me that she was the manager. I told her that I could not believe that she would rather loose the reservation than honor the price I was quoted, in spite of their screw up. She said again that she did not want any trouble when we arrived. I told her that their customer service was horrible and that I was completely unsatisfied with their service. At this point she told me that she would only charge $10 more. I asked to get this change in writing, which prompted her to again say that she did not want problems when we arrived. She also asked how she was supposed to give me confirmation of the change, and I told her that this was up to her, but I wanted confirmation so that I did not encounter any further problems. At this point the idea of emailing me the confirmation occurred to her, and I agreed to the change and provided my email address. Hours went by and I did not receive confirmation, prompting me to become incredibly nervous about the quality of stay we were likely to have and decided to take advantage of the cancellation policy. When I made the reservation the policy was listed as 48 hours notice being required. Since we were not supposed to be staying until Saturday the 27th of August, and it is presently Tuesday the 23rd, I was well outside this time frame. I subsequently received an email stating: CANCEL WITH PENALTY! PENALTY AMOUNT IS $106.93. Further down in the email it confirms: Cancellation Policy: Cxl 2day before arv or penalty of 1 day. This little detail is being taken up with my bank. I should have known the low price and the availability with such a short lead time was too good to be true! Avoid this place like the plague!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Business Rt. 15 South. Near National Park, All Star Complex and Conference Center. Near Ski Liberty. Free WiFi, Free Local Calls, Free Coffee. Battlefield and Washington DC tours arranged. 32" Flat Screen Cable TV, Refrigerator and Microwave, Hair Dryer in every room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Red Carpet Inn Gettysburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Carpet Inn Gettysburg Hotel Gettysburg
- Gettysburg Red Carpet Inn