“A very nice economical motel”

Red Carpet Inn Gettysburg
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Canandaigua, New York
“A very nice economical motel”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed here for one night to see Gettysburg on our way down to Virginia. This is a quaint motel right down the road from the National Park. It was very reasonably priced and the only hotel I could find that would let you book one night instead of a two night minimum. The owner was very friendly and put us in the room right next to the pool for my two kids. The kids loved the pool. The room itself is very basic--no coffeemaker or hair dryer--but it did have a microwave and refrigerator. Over all we were very pleased and would book it again. A great value.

Room Tip: Room 121 is right next to the pool and convenient for families with kids
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Christine C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed 23 August 2011

In spite of my better judgement after reading some of the earlier reviews on this site, I booked my stay for a weekend in Gettysburg with a friend on Friday night. This afternoon I get a phone call regarding my reservation from someone with a very thick, hard to understand accent. She explained that she booked the room over the phone that we had booked online at the same time, so our reservation was not valid. I asked what she had to offer that was comparable and she told me that all she had was a room with 3 double beds and that it was going to be roughly $30 more for the night. When I said that I didn't see how their website screwing up was my fault and why I should have to pay more she offered me a Smoking room at the same price instead, we are nonsmokers who booked a nonsmoking room. When I said that this was not acceptable and that if that was the best she could do that I would have to cancel, she promptly told me that she did not want to have any problems when we arrived. I asked to speak to a manager, and she told me that she was the manager. I told her that I could not believe that she would rather loose the reservation than honor the price I was quoted, in spite of their screw up. She said again that she did not want any trouble when we arrived. I told her that their customer service was horrible and that I was completely unsatisfied with their service. At this point she told me that she would only charge $10 more. I asked to get this change in writing, which prompted her to again say that she did not want problems when we arrived. She also asked how she was supposed to give me confirmation of the change, and I told her that this was up to her, but I wanted confirmation so that I did not encounter any further problems. At this point the idea of emailing me the confirmation occurred to her, and I agreed to the change and provided my email address. Hours went by and I did not receive confirmation, prompting me to become incredibly nervous about the quality of stay we were likely to have and decided to take advantage of the cancellation policy. When I made the reservation the policy was listed as 48 hours notice being required. Since we were not supposed to be staying until Saturday the 27th of August, and it is presently Tuesday the 23rd, I was well outside this time frame. I subsequently received an email stating: CANCEL WITH PENALTY! PENALTY AMOUNT IS $106.93. Further down in the email it confirms: Cancellation Policy: Cxl 2day before arv or penalty of 1 day. This little detail is being taken up with my bank. I should have known the low price and the availability with such a short lead time was too good to be true! Avoid this place like the plague!!

Room Tip: Do not deal with this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer D

Travellers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

brampton
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I read some negetive feedback, but i would say this is not Marriot hotel... anyways my family with two boys stayed for two nights and it was very pleasent stay in cool and calm place... Staff were very friendly and helpful... Pool was very enjoyable for by boys... in short, its very good motel for the price you pay...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank motojj
Mt Pleasant, PA
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My husband, father and I recently stayed at the Red Carpet Inn in Gettysburg. I will say that I was a bit apprehensive after having read several on-line reviews. However, when we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised. The location was perfect for us - on the edge of the Battlefield, away from the hustle & bustle. The Inn is obviously older, but the rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable and the owners very friendly. If you are looking for a clean, inexpensive, quiet place to stay, I highly recommend it. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had our choice of rooms - we did need to make a special request to have a room with a microwive...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SuzyMtPleasant_PA
Annville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 October 2010

My husband and I went to gettysburg for a little vacation before our son was born (I was 8 months preg) We made reservations here for the weekend. It took 15 min to check in because he had to dig our key out of a cardboard box when we finally got to our room it stank horrible!!! There were stains on the walls and celings and on the carpet. i looked in the bachroom and there was still hair in the tub. the nastiest park was when i looked under the bed i found someones dirty clothing and silverfish (which are bugs). oh and the staff was a nightmare and big surprise I couldnt understand a word they said because it was barley coheirent english. We had to stay there that night because we didnt have a choice in the matter, but the next day I went in demanding our money back (which I got but not without a fight) that night we went to a campground and went to a cabin it was very nice and very clean. out visit was in 12 Aug 2007.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Keir81307
Picture Rocks, Pa
Reviewed 10 October 2010

This is a "no-frills" place, which is great! We don't want frills, and don't want to pay for them!! We started staying here 20 years ago, when our family of five found affordable accommodations . . . . and now that our three children are in college, we STILL come here, because it's HOME now!! True, it's undergone some changes, and some different owners, but the current owner has restored and improved it. It's affordable, clean, and far enough outside of town that you don't have the noise factor. It's a comfortable place to stay - and it's always where we look FIRST for rooms!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RoundTopper
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 January 2010

Friendly to dogs!! Nice family runs it; gracious people. Room is comfortable enough: good AC, refrigerator. A good spot for going into G-burg or shooting down to Maryland.
Pool is nice. Stayed for a week each of the last two summers. Its ease and convenience makes likely i will return to G-burg soon. Big comfortable bed. Good prices!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo