“Accidents everywhere on devils den loop”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Round Top Campground
“Accidents everywhere on devils den loop”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

All in all it was a pleasant trip. Aside from the super tight turn at site 52. That's were they placed us. 30ft slide with a excursion tv. Super tight. No room for awning. Above ground septic created a challenge to get camper to drain. Saw 4 TT rip there sides off on the tree in front of our spot. One truck removed there front bumper on a boulder and another dented his front end on a tree. They were all sober, and seemed to know what they were doing. Just absolutely and incredible tight spot for anything of 27 ft. I had a heck of a time maneuvering my 303bhs into the space. 3" from tree in the rear, 2" from two trees on the side. And 4' front boulders and camp fire ring. Must admit it was 10degrees cooler and loved all the trees. So aside from the challenge of setting up it was really enjoyable in the zero gravity chair completely shaded my mature trees. Absolutely NO road nose in the devils den loop. VERY quiet at nice. USE a surge protector. In the evening when everyone is cooking also to of light flickering. The crowd get a little rough in the evening near the playground. My kids learned a few new choice words. There's a trailer park attached and I think a lot of young (unsupervised kids come enjoy the paying customers events. Not knocking trailer parks, just saying. Hope this helps

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mbryantcia
RTCM, Manager at Round Top Campground, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you Matt for taking time to alert us to your experience. Apart from the tight fit into our campsite I'm glad to hear overall that you did enjoy our sellout Memorial Weekend. I'm at a loss regarding accidents or damage to vehicles and/or campers. In the rare occasion a camper has an accident on property we are always notified. Going forward we are hopeful that if your travel plans bring you back to Gettysburg you would consider Round Top Campground. Apart from holiday weekends, different site options most always are available offering wider and pull-through sites. Also as much advance notice for reservations allows for the best location. I believe that played into your experience with us this past weekend as well. I see the reservation was made just 9 days in advance for one of our last available campsites.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Littlestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 January 2014

In 2013 we returned to Roundtop after not camping there in 5 years. We were pleasantly surprised so much that we camped three more times there that summer. The staff are very nice and you are treated like part of the family. Even the seasonal campers are friendly and treat you as one of them. Positives include close to Route 15 and unless you are camped in the back you do not hear Route 15 traffic. GREAT pool with plenty of room to lie by the pool. Great outdoor movie theater. Negative would be not a lot of activities and some areas are hard to park especially in the tree lined area. Out of all the Gettysburg campgrounds this is rated in the top 2.

Room Tip: Park close to office on the loop is the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Blackwood, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We enjoyed our last camping trip of the year. Round Top Campground was clean and it was easy to get our 30' travel trailer set up in the drive through site. We were also able to be next to the other campers we were traveling with. The staff was very friendly and they had everything ready for us when we arrived, check in was a breeze. It was late in the season so there were no activities at the campground, but that is what we expected. I did not like staying so close to highway 15, road noise was loud and contstant truck traffic at 60+ mph. We were 50 yards from the highway so choose you site carefully if you can. Also all of the bathrooms were closed and locked. Getting to Gettysburg and the battlefields is very easy from Round Top Campground. We were less than 2 miles from little round top, actually rode our bikes to the top of little round top from the campground (it is all uphill). So access to the battlefield was easy and quick. All in all our group had a good time, except the noise from Rt 15.

Room Tip: Ask for a site as far from Rt 15 as you can get to lesson the 60+ mph road noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My husband & I stayed here in a 28ft. motor home for two nights in mid-October, 2013 after calling other campgrounds to find they had no vacancies. The rate on Saturday night was a very expensive $70 and Sunday night was $50. This was the most expensive campground we stayed ever.This campground definitely caters to their mobile home park residents as well as to the long-term seasonal residents. We felt like intruders in their "town". The motor home spaces are close together and we got lost trying to find ours in the dark because signage was not well done. Also, we arrived on the night when there was a lot going on for Halloween so the property was packed and confusing. An employee in a golf cart was nice enough to take us to our site located next to the highway which was very noisy throughout the night. We didn't have a tow vehicle with us so we left for the day to tour the battlefield, town, musuems, etc. and when we returned that night to our site the next door neighbor (a seasonal resident) had parked his car in our site. We had to call security who contacted the "golf cart employee" who came out in his pajamas and led us to another site for the night. The restroom nearby needed attention as it was filthy. Granted, the campground has recreational facilities which cater to families and longer term guests but most of those facilities were closed for the season yet we were still charged full price? I guess if they can get it, why not? Long story short, if there was no other place to stay where we needed to plug in for electricity, we'd stay there again. Otherwise, a Walmart parking lot would do just as well as the Round Top Campground.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AVD317
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This was the second time I stayed at little roundtop. This time we had booked 2 nights in a rustic cabin.

When I called and made the reservation, I expressed it would be a late check in. The man I spoke with said that was fine, but when we arrived at only 8 pm the camp store was already closed. This is probably my fault for not double checking on times. I also did not see the drop box with the keys to the cabin. Once again, miscommunication between the campground and I. However, when I made multiple calls to the after hours kiosk and after hours security, the phone went straight to voicemail. We ended up driving to the Eisenhower Hotel.

The next day, I called and expressed what had happened, and although they said they recieved no calls from us that previous night, they refunded our first night. It stinks we missed out on our first night, and I wish I would have seen the drop box, although I feel that if there were better communication between the campground and I beforehand, this all could have been avoided.

As for the cabin we stayed in, it was nice and clean. Has linoleum floors, a table with 4 chairs, a fridge, a double bed, and up above a loft (bring an extra mattress and you could easily fit 4-5 kids up there). No running water or anything, but the walk to the bathrooms isn't too terribly bad. Just make sure you take a lantern or flashlight or something with you, that part of the campground isn't too well lit.

We didn't have any problems the night we camped there. The rustic cabins were at the edge of the campground, yes you can hear some traffic but not enough to bother anyone.

Overall, its a good campground. I think if they can improve on anything it is communication with guests and also the presence of security. I didn't see anyone around the campsite, they didn't answer their phones, I would hate to know what would happen in a real emergency. The facilities are clean, and the staff is helpful. I would definitely stay again, but I may look around and see if there are other options next time, also.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We set this trip up last minute for a holiday weekend... We were offered 2 sites both with septic tanks not underground sewer. New to RVing- I dont care. FYI- take a piece of gutter or PVC pipe to keep your sewage drain line up (trip to Lowes).
We were in the Devils Den section- great location with a big turn and tight for bigger RVs. We had lot 49 and it provided lots of space and quiet. The area looked a little run down but its a campground! Everyone we spoke to was nice and helpful even the seasonal residents. Bud from 47 stopped over to check on us and see if we needed anything (apparently we looked new to this lol).
All of the staff we encountered were nice and helpful. The location is great- 2 turns and less then 5 minutes your on the battlefields. I would not hesitate to go back one day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JLofMD
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This campground is right off route 15 and very convenient to the battleground and is kid friendly. Unfortunately, location is about all this place has going for it compared to other nearby campgrounds. Yes there is a pool! and yes there is a game room, but unless you are under 18, you probably won't be using them with all the kids around. The sites are stacked together offering little shade and even less privacy. Wi-fi is a pay for use deal here and if you want cable, be sure the site they give you has a hook- up for it. Round Top has a large number of seasonal campers that race around the place in noisy golf carts. Before reserving at Round Top, check other campgrounds in the area first since they are nicer, quieter, shadier, and cost the same.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple