“All depends on whether you stay in the EI or the EII”

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The Eisenhower I(or EI) is very old and is severely lacking in TLC and general upkeep. While I was there an electrical fire occurred which resulted in over 20 rooms being without electric for a substantial period of time. The internet service is below poor in both the EI and EII. The staff at this location is severely in need of customer service training-virtually no one EVER smiled and I was there for a week. Linens were very poor, something I wouldn't even use to wash my car with. Food service was abyssmal and the lounge runs really short hours. The housekeeping staff was first rate and did a great job, which may have been the only shining light during the visit.
Definately stay in the EII if you can as those rooms have microwaves and frigs. The double sinks in the bathroom area were a plus. The room had good mattresses and pillows, which was a plus.

Room Tip: Be certain to make sure your reservation is for the Eisenhower II and not the Eisenhower I as both t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rld00442
ShaunacaJames, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Rld00442,

Thank you for choosing the Eisenhower Hotel. I want to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered. I do recollect the electrical fire. This was promptly resolved by our staff. Inspecting all electrical areas every two hours has been put into action to ensure safety for our guests. We are delighted to hear how happy you were with our housekeeping staff as we strive to give complete guest satisfaction. I will be sharing your comments with the appropriate management team and can only hope to see you again in the future. As always thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed during a dog show that was being hosted at the hotel activity facility. We were "luckily" placed in eisenhower two which was not in near as bad of shape as the main building but still nothing to recommend. Between both buildings, both can be described dated and somewhat dirty and I would not have stayed had it not been for the dog show. Our "newer" room in eisenhower 2 had water damage on the ceiling and the bathroom floor was cracked. The room although not overly visibly dirty felt very "used" and should be refreshed. One clean towel had stains on it and the shower handle had lots of scum on it. We moved the chair and lots of dirt was underneath evident from a lack of proper cleaning. On the plus side the room was spacious with two queens, a pull out sofa, and micro-fridge. Also the double sinks proved helpful with getting everyone ready in the morning. The hotel looked like it was quite the spot in the 70s but has not aged well. The hot tub was broken while we were there but the pool looked inviting. The hotel has a restaurant which is not the best, but the deli is useful for a quick bite for breakfast. The best part of all were the grounds.. if they took the same care of the building as the grass I think the hotel would be a lot better! Overall the hotel is ok for a night if in Eisenhower 2 but to me I would never bring my family here with the impression of the complex I got. I am not too picky, I just want a clean, well maintained hotel in which The Eisenhower did not provide.

Room Tip: Eisenhower 2 is the better of the two buildings and is tolerable to stay the night
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Adam D
ShaunacaJames, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

A5689,

I want to thank you for sharing your comments and experience here at the Eisenhower Hotel. We enjoyed having your national specialty! I apologize that your experience was not mutual and for any and all complaints you displayed as we strive to provide a clean accommodating stay for our guests. Indeed dated, however, we do take pride in our spacious rooms and amenities. Your concerns have been shared with our General Manager and Housekeeping staff for review. I hope that you reconsider and stay with us on your next trip. We would love to provide you with a much more pleasurable experience.

Thank you.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

As soon as we checked into our room, we could see how filthy this hotel was. The carpeting not only in the rooms, but also in the interior halls were filthy. We had this mysterious wet spot in our carpeting just in front of our bathroom. We reported it, they looked at it ,and said they would fix it, (never happened). The bathroom walls had dirt streaks on them. We had a fire the first night we were there. (Right across from our room in the pool pump room.) The alarms went off, and the halls filled up with smoke. The maintenence men were there and said not to worry.....they had put the fire out. We found out that a chlorine barrel had caught on fire too, as well as the circuit breaker box. We had to ask them to air out the halls, to get the smoke out. We asked them to call the fire department, but they refused. We went up to the front desk and asked them to call the fire department and they refused also. They said their manager would be in the next morning, and if we had a complaint we could discuss it then. Lots of people from our group lost the electricity in their rooms and had to be moved. We asked that the chlorine barrel be removed and they said they did right away, but they lied as we saw it in the pump room minutes later. We took a picture of it with a towel over it, to keep the fumes down. They finally removed it after we threanted to call the police. Because of certain circumstances that we needed to be at that hotel,(group event) we would have left immediatly. The restaurant food was lousy and had poor service. The customer service front desk was rude. The air conditioner didn't work half of the time in our room and the hotel had an outside outdoor light pole that had an underground short, so when dogs walked on the area by it, they were getting shocked. The hotel did nothing about it. It's criminal what they charge per night for a room, and I will never stay there again. My throat is still sore from the fire!
B. M.

Room Tip: Don't stay here...find another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brycie M

Brycie M,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Eisenhower Hotel for your most recent stay. It is unfortunate to hear how horrible your stay was. I have taken your complaint to the General Manager. He explained that the fire department was not called due to the fire being resolved. The fire was put out by our hotel staff. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you endured. Our hotel staff has been trained for minor fires however, we have placed a new procedure in effect for our maintenance crew to inspect all electrical areas every two hours to ensure safety for our guests. I do hope that you would give a second chance to provide you with a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

As you walk in the front door of the older hotel, you look up and there is duct tape holding something together and it went down hill after that. I, unfortunately, had to sleep on the pull out couch in the Winston Churchill Suite which was most uncomfortable. When I called the front desk to ask for a fold a way bed they arrived with a bed from the Civil War...it was worse than the couch with springs that stuck me and hurt all night and they charged me $40.00 extra !! The suite had a foul smell when you first opened the door, the beds in the adjoining room never saw a bedspread, sheets were cheap and the pillows uncomfortable. The furniture was stained and worn and smelled. Certainly a disgrace to the name Eisenhower. Will NEVER go back.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Judith R
ShaunacaJames, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Judith R.,

I would like to thank you for taking the time out to write a review of our hotel. Unfortunately I am sorry to hear your stay was anything less than pleasurable. While our facility is dated, we do pride ourselves on providing a clean and accommodating stay. I have brought your complaint to the attention of our general manager and the housekeeping staff to ensure that the odor and cleanliness in all rooms be double checked to guarantee complete guest satisfaction. I do hope that given the location of our property and the value we offer, you will consider to give us a second chance and to reach out to our staff during your stay for a more enjoyable experience next time.

Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

I was very surprised when I stayed here. The price was excellent for what this hotel has to offer. They have a family fun center that has bumper cars to games and a fishing lake, conference center, and the pool jacuzzi and sauna make it a place to escape if you want to just get away for the weekend. Our room was huge and it was within minutes of gettysburg. I don't have enough words to say how nice the hotel is. The service was nice. We didn't have too much interaction with the staff but when we checked in the employee was very pleasant and helpful. I would stay here and will stay here again and again. I can't wait to try the restaurant the menu looks delicious. If your looking for a place to stay and want advice on whether the hotel is good enough to stay in this is the hotel to go to. I promise you will love it.

• Stayed: April 2012
ShaunacaJames, Guest Relations Manager at Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

We can't thank you enough for all of your kind words! It is our pleasure to serve you again in the future, and the restaurant food is fabulous! ;-)

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stayed in Eisenhower I building April 21 through April 25, 2012 for a group event and I was very disappointed in the condition of the hotel. If not for the group event , I would never stay here or recommend this hotel to others.

The Hotel interior was in need of major upgrade. Hotel lobby chairs fabric worn and visibly dirty. It rained one day and the atrium roof over the pool leaked badly. The business and fitness centers were out of order the whole time during my stay. When we need to copy material for a training session, then we had to find a Kinko's. I stayed in the back wing of Eisenhower I and the halls were very dark, isolated. Since I was alone I felt very unsafe. Hotel Staff was non existence for such a large facility. If I had a question then you had to walk all the way to the front desk. Basic cable only, no HBO or the ability to rent movies in your room.

The best amenity available was the free shuttle to town that stops running at 4:30pm. Avoid this hotel if a pleasant stay is your goal. There are other nicer hotels closer in Gettysburg.

Room Tip: Stay in Eisenhower II- the rooms are more updated, brighter, bigger and have a microwave & refri...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank JD J

We have two buildings her at the Eisenhower, one that is older and one that is much newer, we hope that you give us a second chance in accomadating you. I think that you would like our Eisenhower II building much better. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 25 April 2012

I attended a group event with about 50 other people. Our rooms were lovely with really large beds, couch, etc. We met in conference rooms on the first floor of a separate building from the main one, but it was a nice short walk to the main building. We were served three meals that were just excellent and the help for the meals was courteous and responsive. The Eisenhower has obviously seen better days; it is a really big property and I think it is ideal for a group event with all of its conference rooms and little alcoves here and there for informal conversations. The indoor pool was beautiful.
It was great to walk around outside and see the farmland all around and you would never know you were so close to major roads. A short walk away is a complex called the Devonshire, which has buildings which all look like they came from olde England. Do not miss walking over!
Would I stay here again. Yes. Would I recommend if you were looking for something modern. No

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay! We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon!