“Perfect place for a group retreat”

Eisenhower Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #27 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Perfect place for a group retreat”
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I have looked everywhere for a place for our group retreat that has great grounds, nice rooms, and affordable prices. I am so relieved to have found Eisenhower -- it has it all. Sales Manager, Cindy Rohrbaugh, was so easy to work with, and the rest of the staff was friendly as well. Our group wants to make Eisenhower our permanent retreat home!

Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank outreach1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Recently while on a trip from Maine to Florida, my husband and I stayed at the Eisenhower Inn in Gettysburg Pa. I must admit that the decor of the hotel was a bit outdated. None the less, it was clean, comfortable, and an over all enjoyable stay. We were greeted at the front desk for check in by a nice smile, very friendly lady by the name of Toni. After cleaning up we decided to head into town for dinner, we noticed we had a flat tire on the car.(bummer!) My husband who is a disabled veteran was attempting to work on the tire when we were approached by a hotel maintenance worker. He introduced himself as Jeff and asked if he could help us. During our chat with him while he changed our tire he learned about my husband being a vietnam vet. When the job was finished, we graciosly try to pay him for help and he would not accept a tip. He told us that what my husband has done for this country is payment enough! I have read several comments on this site about the Eisenhower Inn, I must say that we had a wonderful stay. The friendly and helpful staff more than make up for some outdated decor!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jzwz
North Carolina
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Once again, Priceline to the rescue. If this is the first review of mine that you read, you'll fast come to know Priceline is just about the only way I travel.

Not knowing the area, I won this bid for my typical $50 and was very pleased at the comfort level of my stay. I met a couple who were stranded with a motorcycle at a HD dealership (traveling with a pet) and for the same room they were being charged $110 plus a $30 pet fee! Bottom line; the pics look fantastic, and honestly, in its day, I'm sure it lived up to luxury traveler's expectations; but today it’s in dire need of a facelift. Tile in the Jacuzzi and pool area are loose and faded, and the Jacuzzi was only half-filled with temped water. The seating arrangements poolside are wonderful, but again kind of tired and in need of updating. There is a poolside shop that sells anything you may have forgotten while traveling, but it also makes dynamite sandwiches for a reasonable price. I didn't eat at the restaurant because it was pricey and I was afraid I'd be disappointed, but the sandwich was fresh, piled high and with a pickle, kettle chips and an iced tea cost me under $10 delivered to my table. I couldn't complain.

The room was good sized with comfortable and clean bedding; nicely appointed with all the extras. Interaction with the front desk was very curt and I was situated at an end room towards the back which was quiet and had immediate access to my vehicle. Absolutely ZERO complaints but I am thrilled I did not pay full price.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank JLHalliday1
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 October 2010

was a nice clean room, guy that checked us in acted like he was in a bad mood,
went to dinner and left a $300 camera there, didn't think we needed, came back and the camera was gone. no one in staff know anything. emailed management, the have not replied after a week. when we were getting ready to check out, was still getting dressed at 9am, and check out was 11 am. house keeping walked in. so when we were not there when the camera disappeared, knowing the doors were both locked, it is obvious where it went.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jmb12177

Travellers are raving about these Gettysburg hotels

Bayville, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I paid 100 per night to stay in this dumpy hotel. I was in the older section and my room was dirty and smelled. I also killed a few bugs while I was there. I would not recommend this hotel for the price. The older section has wireless access but the newer building doesn't. The only plus is its location to the battlefield.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank turkeyssister
Woodbine
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Ok, where to begin. We just checked out after a three day conference and I could not wait to write this review, as I could not do so from the hotel without difficulty.

I should begin with my stay was dictated by the conference, or I would never have remained in the room even for one night, much less three.

This hotel was no doubt "top of the line" in it's day, the problem is that day was 60 years ago. Eisenhower is an apt name for the hotel as it has not changed much since he was our president.

Upon check in , I got my first taste of the un-helpful staff which would remain un-changed throughout my stay. My rate was in excess of $100.00 per night which I feel should enable me to expect a decent room.

My ground floor Eisenhower I room was adjacent to the enclosed patio / pool area. The hallway leading to my door, from the broken security door at the parking lot was long and dark. Unfortunately it was not dark enough to prevent me from seeing the worn out and much stained carpet on the floor of the hall.

Upon finding my room door, it resembled an antique home entry door, with a recently added electronic lock, my key worked the first time, unlike many of my fellow conference attendee's. The door was "sticky" and required a good push/kick to open and close each time I went in the room. This was apparently due to the water/humidty in the room which I immediately noticed by the SMELL.

This room reeked of old and moldy carpet, bedding and dropped ceiling tiles. The single king bed was covered in a musty and dusty duvet of a maroon color. It came with four pillows approximately the thickness of four sheets of notebook paper. One velveteen blanket of the same thickness. The bed sat on particle board pedistal and had a box spring along with a mattress which was as comfortable as a slab of concrete.

The bathroom contained yellow 50's tile and flat white wall board much stained with a tub/shower whose nozzle could take paint off a Ford Truck. The water temp would scald a dog should it wander near.

The carpet in the room must have been left over from the hallway, as it was worn out and dirty.

As to the "internet" , apparently even though it was promised it was absent, when I asked the front desk, the clerk who was really not interested, told me it was "out, and there was nothing they could do about it" , this remained over the entire three days I was there.

When I used the "business center" (u get a key with on a brass ring the size of a small car tire) to gain acess to the internet I found Bill Gates first computer there, along with his orignal printer (no paper available).

Let me tell you about the maid who doubled as the waitress, buss boy, and pool cleaner, what a life she must have there. The only bright employee works the deli and wishes to write a book about every person she meets, I say this because she enquires about the background of every person she meets.

On another note, we had catered food from the resturant it was a surprise because it was fairly decent. However the pricing lacked alot, the cost of a canned soft drink was $1.50 a bottle soft drink $2.00 a beer $5.00. Oh an by the way , do not show up to a conference room early as you will find the doors locked, and be forced to wait in un-air conditioned hallways.

If you have kid's there is a large amusement area nearby (on the grounds) that for the most part is closed. There is also a large lake/pond that is home to flocks of traveling Candians (geese that is).

All in all, I would not recommend staying there to anyone. We were much relieved to put the Eisenhower in the rear view mirror!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank halfpint1
Reading, PA
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Hotel is large and spread out over 2 buildings. Lots of room for soccer tournament players (Gettysburg Blast). Pool was small for the number of people there. Deck was slippery. Did not dine in the restaurant. Deli was typical hotel price - more expensive than local but not as expensive as Disney!

Rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. We had a room that slept six, but they only put towels in for 4, so we needed to get additional towels. Small refrigerator was a plus.

When booking, please be sure to call directly too. Sometimes you can get a better price than online.

• Stayed August 2010