“Excellent Chef & Innovative Cuisine!”

Sidney Willoughby Run
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidney Willoughby Run is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 131 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Price range: US$12 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 30
Description: With a focus on simple ingredients, Chef Annis’ menu features small, elegant bites with sophisticated flavor. The menu, inspired by fresh, local ingredients, will change on a daily basis and has been designed to include a variety of small plates rather than the multi-course offerings of sister establishment, Restaurant Sidney in East Berlin.An extensive selection of liquor, beer, wine and cordials invites guests to relax in an urban contemporary atmosphere. The expansive outdoor seating area offers a serene experience with views of the battlefield land preserved by the National Park Service.
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I sat outside & had a wonderful experience. I was with a large group & brought my 4 year old daughter. When she tired of adult conversation & waiting for her food,, I took her for a brief walk near the former golfing grounds. This is a very different experience than Sidney's in East Berlin. While the food is excellent at both locations, Willoughby has a more casual feel. The small plates are reasonable portions as compared to the gluton-sized meals you get at most restaurants. The chef is not afraid to be creative! I had a Mexican-inspired rutabaga soup that was indescribably delicious. Our group passed around some pretty incredible dishes to taste & it was very difficult to decide who ordered the top meals. They were all uniquely good in their own way. It is on the pricey side, but completely worth it if you like innovative cuisine, that is not typical of chain restaurants...

Reviewed 27 November 2013

In a touristy, small town, I don't expect to find great food. But Sidney Willoughby Run is an exciting surprise for Gettysburg! The refined, yet comfortable and relaxing environment begs you to linger over the mouth-watering, creative menu with a lovely glass of wine or original cocktail. The small plates tantalize the taste buds and satisfy the most discerning palate. The service is prompt, courteous and understated; no nosy or inappropriately-friendly wait staff to detract from the experience. In short, SWR is a fabulous choice for those who wish for a truly incredible meal or cocktails and small plates with friends.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had lunch today with friends at this restaurant. For decades, I have been coming to Gettysburg, but always felt the restaurants, understandably catering to the many tourists, served decent food at affordable prices. When one left Gettysburg, the memories were all about the battlefield and its Center, truly unforgettable experiences no matter how many times one visits, but the food? Zero. I can't even recall the names of the restaurants I have visited, and never came back to the same place. I will return to Sidney's, and with great anticipation.

The chef has indeed created an ingenious menu that combines highly regarded international platforms (like agnoletti, for example) with locally produced fresh vegetables, fruits and meats. There are few places in the world with the wonderful basics of excellent cuisine to compare with southern Pennsylvania. Apples, pumpkins, squash, pickles, etc. are all of the highest quality. The chef has taken advantage of these basic ingredients to make his dishes stunningly delicious.

I cannot end this without commenting on the Dutch Apple Pie with caramelized sugar and buttermilk ice cream. As someone who feels that American apple pie is one of our country's greatest contributions to ending a meal the right way, this dish is a perfect ending to a high quality meal. This was not your mom's apple pie, but a new creation with a variety of flavors that I would put side by side with the best apple strudel in Vienna or Munich and challenge taste testers to acknowledge both as gastronomic delights.

The five diners with me all declared their meals superb, with another strong kudo for the Black Forest tort.

I regret that we did not have sufficient appetite for the daily homemade soup. I will have to return...and I will.

1  Thank Anthony-Susan
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We were sent here by our inn keeper. We were a little taken by the seating inside the restaurant. There is a bar with some tables then a huge banquet hall, and then another dinning room. We were seated at a table in the bar area. The décor was nice and seemed newly done.
Our waiter was wonderful, he was friendly and attentive.
We ordered a few items: cheese platter, pizza, beef, chicken and swordfish.
We had to send 1 back, but they handled it wonderfully and offered us and a drink to make up for the issue. They handled it so professionally and that left a really good impression on us.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We really appreciated this restaurant. First, the service by our waiter Tim was outstanding. He immediately showed his concern for our comfort when we asked to turn the music down...and he did so. He was very knowledgeable about the menu, answered questions and gave recommendations. And he had a good sense of humor, which was necessary when dealing with the four of us. The atmosphere was unremarkable, but i imagine it would be pleasant to sit outside in the summer. The food was excellent across the board. We shared the broccoli tempura (not a traditional tempura coating, more panko crumb-like) with a citrus sauce, a lovely beet salad ( could have used a few more beets and maybe a piece of bread to sop up the wonderful sauce), and a cheeseboard with yummy apricot and quince accompaniments. The toasted bread was charred though. We each had a small plate. The gnocchi were superb, very light. My friend said she could have used about three more gnocchi to make her satisfied. The duck and foi gras was melt in your mouth perfection. And a very generous serving...a regular sized entree in my opinion. The special fish had a nice crust and flaky inside, perfectly done. Great accompaniments too. My mind is blanking on the fourth entree. We had room for dessert ( but that is the advantage of the "small plates"). The apple tart and chocolate cake were both excellent. Even the coffee was great. With cocktails and beer, and tip i think the total bill for four was about $180.