“Nice atmosphere, good service, so-so food, good bottled beer selection”

O'Rorke's Eatery & Spirits
Ranked #10 of 128 Restaurants in Gettysburg
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice atmosphere, good service, so-so food, good bottled beer selection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I ate dinner here on a Friday evening in August. The restaurant has outdoor seating but we chose to eat indoors due to the high humidity.

The atmosphere and decor is typical American-Irish pub. We sat in a booth in a good spot at the front windows. The server introduced himself and took our drink order My wife ordered Tilapia with a side salad and Brusssel Sprouts. I ordered the Chesapeake Chicken (broiled chicken with crab sauce topping) with a tossed salad and rice.

Both salads were a good -size and all the ingredients tasted fresh. My chicken was a little dry and the topping was a little light on the crab, which I expected at these reasonable prices. My wife's fish was cooked nicely and she said tasted good.

However, there was one problem. My wife takes her vegetables seriously and the Brussel Sporuts were unedible. They were obviously out of freezer and had either been way over-cooked or had been on a steam table for a long time. They were so mushy that light pressure from a fork resulted in water spraying out of them. To O'Rorke's credit, when she pointed this out to the server he immediately apologized and offered a replacement, which my wife refused. When the food bill came, he apologized again and the restaurant had taken 20% off the food charges. A minute later the manager came to our table and apologized again.

We were both very impressed with how the restaurant staff handled the issue. Normally we would only give the restaurant an "Average" rating, but because of the professional way they handled the problem, we are rating it "Very Good". We will definitely eat here again on our next visit to Gettysburg.

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Salads are fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I tend to go to certain restaurants for one or 2 things on the menu.
It is not that i rather not try other things but it is when I find something I really enjoy I go back for it. The cheeseburger or steak salads here are great.

Visited June 2014
Ocala, FL
“We didn't listen to other negative reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went there for a late lunch and found that the menus and tables were not sticky as other reviews said. One party had the meatloaf and thought it was very good. One had the reuben and said it was good but the meat could have been cut thinner (it was pretty thin), another had the pastrami and said it was excellent. I had the BLT with sweet potato fries, extra crispy, and it was very good. There was a lot of bacon and little tomato,but it was still good. We would go back.

Toronto, Ohio
“Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

They have a nice and friendly staff. I had corned beef cabbage and it was very good. Our drinks were refilled quickly. Our waiter even assisted us with some local directions.

Lenhartsville, Pennsylvania
“One More Drink”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband and I stopped in right at midnight for one last drink before heading back to our B&B. The bartender was nice enough to serve us. Good atmosphere.

1 Thank Tara G