“A unique place to play and learn with your child”
Review of Explore & More

Explore & More
Ranked #41 of 103 things to do in Gettysburg
Arlington, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A unique place to play and learn with your child”
Reviewed 10 April 2008

As the mom of a rambunctious toddler, I was really pleased by my recent trip to Explore & More. This hands-on children's museum provides a fantastic environment for fun and educational play for kids of all ages. My son loved the large train table and the Civil War period room, where he could explore all the vintage items tucked into the nooks and crannies of this historic house. He would have spent all day in the construction room if he could--it had plenty of blocks and knobs and things that were easily (and safely) maneuvered by chubby little hands.

Explore & More allows parents the wonderful (and increasingly rare) opportunity to get down on the floor and just play with your child, without the distractions of the bills, the dishes, and the telephone. Even though we live in Virginia, we have family in the Gettysburg area, and I'm thrilled that there is a terrific place to bring my son again and again on our visits to Pennsylvania. I highly recommend it!

1 Thank Foodieko

Poconos
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Kids Loved It, but the Adults...”
Reviewed 15 May 2007

On our previous trips to Gettysburg with the kids, we'd never known this children's attraction existed - it's not well advertised though it's about a block from the Square, and we found it quite by accident on the internet.

This "museum" is an old house that's been turned into a large playland - each room has a different theme, and the kids are free to roam and play where they choose. Our girls particularly liked the art room, where they could paint, draw & create using every art supply imaginable, and the 1860's general store/house, where they could put on era clothing, sit in the furniture, and use all the authentic props. They had a ball and can't wait to return.

We adults, on the other hand, had several issues with this place. First of all, we were charged $4/each to enter with our kids and try to find a place against the wall to stand out of the way while they played - there is no seating whatsoever for anyone over the age of 7. The rooms are tiny to the point of being nearly claustrophobic. We were never warned that the "artwork" hanging on clothes lines strung throughout the art room were actually wet paintings the children had just completed and we all left with blue paint all over our clothing. To enter and exit the house, of course, you must pass through a gift shop. I guess it should be about the kids, but I can't help feeling we adults were never given a second thought in the planning of this place.

5 Thank pawriter
Gettysburg PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“granddaughter had a good time”
Reviewed 24 July 2005

Several rooms of toys and educational activities. My granddaughter, 2-1/2, really enjoyed herself at the art and painting tables, the civil war store area, and the backyard. Parking's not so great.

3 Thank imalocal