“Very fun place for young toddlers”
Review of Explore & More

Explore & More
Ranked #45 of 108 things to do in Gettysburg
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I was looking for things to do with kids in Gettysburg and found the Explore & More House. Staff is VERY friendly and helpful, they talked us through all the different rooms as we were coming in, showed us the exhibits, and even offered to help me with taking a picture of my son playing with their big bubble exhibit. Every room is FULL of things for kids to play with. Price is pretty reasonable as well, $6 for any kids 2-14, no charge for under 2 (and I think it's still worth it to go for under 2), $4 for adults. All in all, this was a great place to spend a few hours keeping my son entertained.

3  Thank jurgenhadley
"play"
in 16 reviews
"glow"

Reviewed 13 October 2009

we loved it here. We have a 3 year old and 4 year old....so trying to find something in gettysburg for them to enjoy was difficult. I couldn't find a playground besides at burger king or mcdonalds. So this really helped our sanity!!! The ladies there are awesome and very nice and seem to love playing with the kids.

2  Thank sublime81
Reviewed 10 July 2008

If you're in Gettysburg with a toddler or preschooler on your hands, this is a nice place to spend an afternoon. As the other reviewers have noted, there are many different rooms with various playthings, including a large train table, a room with a pretend store and kitchen, a construction room, and an art room. The exhibits aren't elaborate, but are simple and child-friendly, with an emphasis on play. The staff at this children's museum are very conscientious about keeping it clean. We visited on an afternoon just as two groups were departing, but found everything clean and tidy inside. (I've been to other children's museums that were somewhat traumatic in this respect!) I've been told that the afternoons are usually less likely to have groups, and our time there from 1-3 was quiet and calm, which definitely made the experience nicer. If you are planning a visit and would like to try to avoid large groups, they said to call ahead and they will tell you of the quietest time to visit. The gift shop is one of the better places to shop for toys in Gettysburg (Gallery 30 being the other good place), as they have puzzles and games that are different from what you can pick up at the typical store. As a side note, if you have to occupy a young child while the rest of your party tours, the library next door has a wonderful children's section and a friendly staff.

2  Thank aster143
Reviewed 10 June 2008

I am a local to Gettysburg and my daughter never gets tired of Explore and More. There is a whole house-full of creative and fun activites for kids of ALL ages.

There is a giant bubble maker that kids and adults can stand inside. There's an old-fashioned general store where the kids can play with fake foods, set the table, "cook" over the fireplace, dres up in costumes, etc. There's a puppet stage with puppets and a make-your-own puppet table. There's a large train table. There's a construction room, a glow-in-the-dark room, a shaving cream table, a WONDERFULLY stocked art room with all sorts of craft supplies.

This is the most wonderful place to take a child to explore and have fun. I recommend dressing your child in play clothes 'cause having fun can be messy!

2  Thank eyelove2eat
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 April 2008

As the mom of a rambunctious toddler, I was really pleased by my recent trip to Explore & More. This hands-on children's museum provides a fantastic environment for fun and educational play for kids of all ages. My son loved the large train table and the Civil War period room, where he could explore all the vintage items tucked into the nooks and crannies of this historic house. He would have spent all day in the construction room if he could--it had plenty of blocks and knobs and things that were easily (and safely) maneuvered by chubby little hands.

Explore & More allows parents the wonderful (and increasingly rare) opportunity to get down on the floor and just play with your child, without the distractions of the bills, the dishes, and the telephone. Even though we live in Virginia, we have family in the Gettysburg area, and I'm thrilled that there is a terrific place to bring my son again and again on our visits to Pennsylvania. I highly recommend it!

1  Thank Foodieko