“Friday 3 November 2006 Update”
Review of Colton Motel

Colton Motel
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Gettysburg
Reviewed 10 November 2006

Colton Motel is a simple, non-luxury place where the room doors and windows open to the outdoors. Lincoln Square is quite an old part of town, which, in many ways caused the battle in the first place. We walked there from Colton Motel with no problems. Yes, the motel is on central battlefield location, so much so that the Park Service actually wants to bulldoze it along with the Park's visitor center, McDonalds, KFC and everything else to restore everything back to 1863 conditions. Andrew is the manager, but not the owner. If he could afford it, he'd like to be the owner. He reads these reviews and takes the feedback seriously. When we stayed this last Friday, Andrew was by then a one-man show and did everything himself, including the cleaning. He fired the cleaning staff because they were unreliable in more ways than the previous reviews indicated. Our room was clean. On entry though, the smell of cleanser was a bit strong. Disinfected? Absolutely. We slept through it, and the smell of disinfectant wasn't quite as bothersome after a while.
The number of hotels in the area far exceeds what TA lists here. As this was our first and only trip to Gettysburg so far, we don't know how Colton compares in value to the others in the immediate area.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
25  Thank DarthAnonymous

Reviewed 4 November 2006

The location of the motel is good, some reviewers said it was in walking distance to everything. While it is close to the visitor center for the battlefield, you definately need a car to get the most out of the battlefield since there are over 40 miles of avenues in it. The oldest part of town is also not in walking distance. The manager was very nice & had good information. I had not had a chance to tour the property before I got the room but was surprised the next morning to see an entrance to an underground bar within a foot of my bathroom/bedroom. Unfortunately, the carpet had not been vacuumed around the edges & there were major dust/cobweb problems on all the light shades. Because of that, I had a hard time relaxing & getting sleepy. After I had been in bed awhile I felt something on my wrist & discovered a small dark black bug crawling on my arm. I don't know what kind since I flung it off asap. I changed hotels the next night.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
4  Thank SusieLou
Reviewed 18 October 2006

We go to Gettysburg every year. Two years in a row we stayed at the Colton Motel. The manager was very hospitable and well informed about the area. We love it there!!!! It is located close to everything and we really liked the room we stayed in.
The management is excellent and has really taken care of the place!!! We dont want to stay anywhere else. We have found a home there. If we needed anything, or even extra anything the manager and housekeeping saw that we received whatever we needed.

Also, I love the doggy, Ms. Colleen. Hi Colleen; hope to see you next year, or maybe even in a few months!!

Vikki and Earl Barker
Pittsburgh, PA

26  Thank Victoria V
Reviewed 10 October 2006

We have stayed at the Colton in Gettysburg on our past four visits and intend to return again in 2007. The Colton offers value for the dollar, cleanliness and great hospitality from the Manager, Andrew, to Miss Colleen, the resident dog. We recommend you stay at the Colton.

Robert and Rose Thomson
Dundas, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
25  Thank bobandrose
Reviewed 9 October 2006

I knew nothing about Gettysburg and needed a hotel. I read a lot of reviews on this website and decided to give the Colton Motel a try as I found so many positive comments about it. So glad I did! The manager made our stay in Gettysburg extra special! I forgot to get directions so I called and the manager was so helpful and friendly that I looked at my husband and said, "I feel like we are going to stay with some good friends." The feeling stayed the whole time we were there. He loves history and it was contagious. The hotel was exactly as I had read - a clean, comfortable place to rest after a big day of touring. Friendly. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. An added bonus is that it is right next to the visitor center and a short walk from town!

24  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed 9 October 2006

Stayed at the Colton October 6 and 7, 2006. The manager, Andrew, was very friendly, but that's where the good review ends. The rooms left alot to be desired. The carpeting in the room was not swept...lint and crumbs all over the floor and chairs. The underside of the bedspread was dirty...the bathroom floor was dirty. We had tiny brown ants running across the table in the room. As we toured the battlefield on Saturday, we were expecting to have our room cleaned; not an unusual expectation. Got back to our room at 3pm and the rooms were still not cleaned, beds unmade, trash still sitting, no clean towels. The cleaning staff saw us in our rooms and asked if we wanted fresh towels. The vacuum cleaner was sitting outside our room, and I asked if I could sweep our room. The cleaning person told me that I could, but it doesn't pick anything up!! He was right!! He never offered to make the beds or pick up the trash. I've been to this hotel before, and it has never been this bad. I don't think we'll go back, even with the offer from Andrew of 10 visits, 1 night free.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank picruiser
Reviewed 5 October 2006

Booked at the last minute through Travelocity. Luckily the onsite manager was there or else he would not have gotten the reservation until the next day. Manager was very friendly and had many good tips on sight seeing. Room was clean, but as older hotels go, it wasn't the best. Price was reasonable. Plan on staying here in the when we return to Gettysburg.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple