“Quality Expected from a Courtyard and Convenient to Battlefield”

Courtyard Gettysburg
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Haddonfield, NJ
“Quality Expected from a Courtyard and Convenient to Battlefield”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We were in town with another couple for a weekend visit to the Battlfield and stayed at the Courtyard on Rte. 30 not far from the town. We did not use the pool, the restuarant or the bar, but the rooms were a nice size, the beds comfortable and the in-room coffee service very good. For those who want to avoid the crowded restaurants in a tourist town, the hotel is in a complex with two restaurants just outside its front door along with a move theater. But it is just a few minutes from downtown Gettysburg and the Visitors Center. Would recommend it to anyone visiting the town, as a tourist or for events at the college.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Medstrike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I've stayed here several times because of its convenient location just off Route 15. Our most recent trip was, like the others, very satisfying and comfortable. I particularly liked the extremely efficient, professional front desk clerk who checked us in. I'd had a negative experience trying to use gift cards at a different Marriott property earlier in our trip; here, there was absolutely no problem and the clerk even applied the gift cards when we checked in, so that I didn't need to use up valuable time at the desk when we wanted to check out.

Our connecting rooms were very clean. Each had a top-notch, comfortable bed, and a sleeper sofa that was comfy for watching TV or reading (don't think I'd have wanted to pull it out, though - it wasn't brand new). The bathroom was clean and well designed.

There's room for improvement - it would have been nice to have a mini-fridge, which I realize isn't standard at Courtyards. I don't recommend Garibaldi's, the adjacent Italian restaurant, unless you like overpaying for just adequate Italian food. I've also sampled the 1863 Restaurant at the Wyndham hotel next door - again, nothing special and somewhat overpriced.

There's a cineplex just a short walk away. A good spot to break up a long road trip.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank bpym_rocks
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I just read the review below mine...and I had virtually the same experience. My room vibrated (both noise and the actual feel) the entire time I was in it. I had to run the A/C fan the whole time to drown out the sound so I could sleep. Even then it wasn't a sound nights' sleep. No wireless high-speed internet either, except in the lobby and courtyard. Everything was clean, but I think I'll try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank spade7
Maryland
Reviewed 8 May 2011

The hotel was perfectly acceptable in most regards. It was clean, had nice amenities, etc. However, it was not the best value. Breakfast was not included. Internet in the rooms was via ethernet cable only, and wifi was only available in the lobby. There was also a very strange problem I'd never experienced before. My room actually vibrated, and the front desk told me matter of factly that when both washing machines spin in unison, the force is enough to vibrate a support beam, which causes rooms to vibrate. What on earth?! I thought there was an earthquake (I went to the USGS site!) or that I was hallucinating (others felt it too), but the explanation was stranger yet. For that reason alone, I don't think I would stay here again. The vibrating was unnerving and slightly nauseating.

Also, the hotel was not located super close to the local attractions. The movie theater next door is great if you're looking for something to do after all the attractions close. There's also a Giant supermarket nearby, where we bought breakfast instead of paying $8 each at the hotel. However, I'm sure you can find a cheaper hotel closer to the battlefield with free breakfast and wifi.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank efemmeral
urbana ohio
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Very nice, clean hotel a short distance outside of town. Cinema complex and an Italian restaurant are right next door. The bed in my room was incredibly comfortable! My only complaint- and it is a big one- was that when I arrived the room temperature was close to 80 degrees and never did cool down to where I needed it to be for comfort. Engineer tried valiantly to help and even showed me another room I could move to, but that room also was uncomfortably warm. Windows in this hotel open ( a big plus!) but since outside air was very warm, that couldn't help my predicament. Cold air came out of register but not enough to cool room down. I really liked this hotel, but the temperature issue might keep me from returning.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Ample parking, Clean rooms, friendly and knowledgeable staff. Indoor pool. This hotel is close enough to all Gettysburg PA has to offer, but far enough away to make your stay enjoyable. We stayed the night, and used the “Stay for Breakfast promotion” with hot food and excellent service.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Northern VA
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My wife and I recently stayed here for three nights as part of a convention, opting to stay in this hotel while the convention was at Wyndham Hotel right next door. And we're glad we did. From the moment we were greeted to the time we departed, we found the hotel staff to be very professional in their appearance and in their actions. Upon arrival the front desk clerk was very efficient, completing the check in process in under a minute - they were waiting for us to walk through that front lobby door. Our room was clean, spotless, and quiet (despite two busloads of 8th Graders staying in the hotel and on their way to DC for Spring Break). It is a fairly new hotel, with no signs of wear that we could see.

The breakfast buffet was good and clean, which is sometimes hard to find on busy weekday mornings when struggling to keep the waffle iron area spotless. The wait staff did an excellent job of maintaining the cleanliness with a smile. Each day our room was cleaned thoroughly, and we appreciated the maid leaving extra towels when it was obvious we tended to use every bit of dry cotton in that bathroom on a daily basis.

We had one minor complaint during this stay - the elevator. It was slower than molasses on a cold morning. Take it from us - use the stairs to go up and down unless you must use the elevator.

When we compared our hotel's value with those staying over at the Wyndham attending the same conference, there was no comparison. We had a better room with better service at a much more economical rate. Thanks, Courtyard of Gettysburg!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business