“Hard for me to give an excellent review”

Sleep Inn and Suites
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
W. PA
“Hard for me to give an excellent review”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was a very quickly planned trip I am having heart issues. One of the things we look for is a smaller quiet place to stay we felt this would be a good choice for that reason. I normally ask for a room out of the way and not near elevator, HWY or ice machines, we don't like people making noise around our doors. I forgot to ask for this when I made our resorvations so I was a bit upset to find us in room 412 the first door near the elevator. Didn't say anything because I knew I forgot to ask for a quiet area.
The room is off to the left and all the other rooms go to the right so it was the only room that direction and was around the corner from the elevator so it really wasn't too bad. 4th floor is the top floor and it was very quiet in our room but you can hear the road traffic roar, if you are not use to that type of noise it may bother you, we are not. Every one was happy and we talked about how good the room was even without my request UNTIL we returned to our room around 9:00 PM one night (after leaving at 8:00 AM) to find the HOUSE KEEPING SERVICE had let our room door open ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!! (not fully open, but not latched shut so it could be pushed open without any key) Well as it worked out as we arrived one of the girls from the office was around the other side of the elevator and she heard us yell out when we found it and I said I am going to the office right now. She saw the door the same way we found and was also very upset made calls and made a note of what happened. At this point I told them to KEEP the House Keeping people OUT of our room at all times.
They did make us an offer to give us points or a discount but I can't tell you what that does to you to find this with your stuff inside the room all day and evening. I was up all night with heart pains from the stress! I was thankful our room was the only room around the doorway or we may have had more trouble if someone had gone in our room (no one did that we know of) I had shut the hall sheers as we entered our room the first night and said I don't want people standing outside our door looking ou the window bothering us. So glad I did that too as they weer still shut.

So we liked the hotel location but had issues with things there,
1.issue was the house keeping service!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. the Wifi was not good at all on the 4th floor it would come and go just enough to really mess up your work our, son was trying to do school online and couldn't because of this issue so he was in the lobbby most of the time.
3. The swimming pool is unreal small, it was nothing but a waste of money to build it. DH said if he would put his big feet in it it would be out of water. The pool room was so hot and humid I couldn't stand it ,the kids said the water was cold so if you want a pool not the place for you.
The Good points ~The staff was very kind, but the woman whom works the breakfast bar is a real sweat heart she is just wounderful, happy, friendly and kind. Breakfast choices were a bit on the lowl side too but it was something to eat.

MGR talked to me as we signed out and said she was going to have the door looked at after we were out of that room. Not sure what happen then.

Room Tip: Because the house keeper letting our room door open all day we can't give a high rating on this...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Tamra H, General Manager at Sleep Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. On behalf of myself and staff I opplogize for not meeting your standards. We talked with the housekeeper that cleaned your room and she was so upset over it. This has never happened before and will never happen again. We did check the door and found that it seemed to be closed but it was not latching properly and has been fixed. Agian we applogize and we do hope that you will be back to experience how wonderful our hotel and staff are. Also we will make sure you are not near the elveator. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We took a trip to Lancaster and Gettysburg in mid July. We stayed two nights at the Sleep Inn Gettysburg. It was one of the cheapest prices I could find in the area (besides the low rated ones.). The price ended up being very good....just over $100 a night for four of us with our AAA discount.

Some things to realize if you book this hotel:
1.) The hotel IS NOT located in Gettysburg. It is about 2 miles outside of town just off the Rt. 15 freeway at Rt. 30. It is all by itself on the north side of Rt. 30 and there are no restaurants or gas stations really within walking distance.
2.) The hotel is very small. As a result, the pool is very small and the breakfast room is small.

Now with those things said, on with the review:
We arrived about 5:00 p.m. and were quickly registered and given our keys. We had a two queen bed room on the second floor. The lobby is open and they have free cookies and lemonade. The desk clerk was friendly and efficient.

The room was average size (I worried about the size of the rooms when I saw how small the hotel actually is....unnecessary fear...the room size is fine.). Our room had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa that was somewhat set off from the bed area. That made it nice to sit over there and work on the computer or read and not disturb those in bed. The room came with a refrigerator which was actually set very cold. (usually I have to turn them colder when I arrive.) The room had free wifi and a strong, fast signal as well as a nice selection of television channels. The bathroom design was somewhat different... the toilet and bath tub were in a room across from the sink/vanity. The sink vanity was just as you came in the hallway door...so the vanity and toilet/tub areas were separate. (we prefer sinks outside of the toilet/tub area so someone else can be using the vanity while someone else is showering.)
The only negative is that the toilet/tub room is somewhat small.

The room appeared clean and the beds were clean and comfortable. (including the pillows...which usually aren't...lol). The bathroom area was clean and the room smelled fine.

Although this hotel allows pets, we did not hear any while we were there and there was no "dog smell" that we noticed anywhere in the hotel. We also did not hear anyone in the other rooms around or above us even though the hotel was full.

The breakfast was very nice....lots of choices in a small area. One morning they had bacon and cheese omlets and the other morning was biscuits and gravy. As a person who does not care for biscuits and gravy, I skipped that....but there were plenty of other choices. The breakfast area is very small...only about 5 tables but there never was anyone waiting for tables when we were there. There is also a small island in the adjacent lobby where you could sit and eat as well.

As I said before, the hotel is outside of Gettysburg and is all alone on that side of the street, but that helps make it more quiet and "off the beaten path."

We will definitely stay at this hotel if we return to the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the east side as that faces a farm as opposed to the parking lot. Second Floo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Wow! What a great review! We really appriciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay, your room, service and the hotel in general. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return to our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we appriciate all the details that you included in your review. Thank you again!
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights so we could see Gettysburg for a few days. The room was very spacious and clean. Main floor room was very quiet. Hotel staff was very helpful. We were able to book a battlefield tour at the main desk. The breakfast options were good. About a 10 minute drive to downtown Gettysburg. Great value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tamra H, General Manager at Sleep Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for your review! We appriciate you giving us a perfect score! We are so happy that you and your wife found our hotel to be clean, spacious and quite and our staff helpful. We look fowrard to seeing again when in Gettysburg!
Bexley, Ohio
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at this Sleep Inn during tourist season in mid-July. The staff was friendly and very accommodating of our two small dogs. There is dining nearby (with carry-out available), a movie theater and a very easy return to town. We would recommend this motel and would stay there again on our next visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for giving us a perfect score! We are thrilled to know that you will be back to stay with us! Thank you for your wonderful comments. We love getting feedback from our gurests. Its great to know that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff and hotel met your expectations. We look forward to your return to Gettysburg! Thnak you again!
Wooster, Ohio
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Bed was too hard and carpet was dirty. I wore white ankle socks while in the room and the bottoms were almost black. The rest of the room was nice, bathroom very clean. The carpet just needed a good shampoo job.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tamra H, General Manager at Sleep Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. Your experience is not at all typical of our hotel. I do applogize. I am sorry that you found our beds to be hard. They are our brand standard and we can not do anything to change that. As for as the carpet in room please execept my oppologies. We are in the process of getting all new carpet in all of our rooms. In the meantime we have a weekly schedule for shampoing all carpet. Agian this is not at all typical for our hotel. We do hope that you will return in the future so that you may have a better experience then our last. Thank you again for your feedback.
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our dog for one night (we were driving from Florida to Boston & have always wanted to check out Gettysburg). We had a fantastic experience here! Our room was very spacious/clean & awesome location to downtown/battlefields/highway. It had easy access to a grassy area for our dog to walk around. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. We have stayed at many pet friendly hotels and this one is at the very top!

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appriciate you giving us such a great review! We are happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and that you found our hotel to be just what you needed for you, your husband and your dog. We love being a pet freindly hotel and take extra care with cleaning all of our pet rooms and making sure that you have a nice place to walk your dog. Thank you again! We are glad that you chose to stay with us and we hope to see you again!
Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

from the moment we stepped up to the front desk to the next morning when we left was a wonderful experience. all the staff was exceptional, from the front desk clerk to the breakfast supervisor. friendly, helpful and knowledgeable of the area also. great experience, clean and very good location away from the hustle and bustle , yet near the action. will stay here again and will recommend to friends passing through.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Wow thank you so much for a perfect score! We appriciate all of your wonderful comments about our hotel and our staff. Our entire staff work very hard to accomadate all of our gurests and make you feel welocme and comfortable. We are happy that we were able to leave a memorable impression. We look forward to you coming back to stay with us in Gettysburg!