“What a disappointment”

Drummer Boy Camping Resort
Reviewed 3 July 2013

While visiting Gettysburg June 4th & 5th during a cross country drive, we thought it'd be fun to break up the hotel stays with a couple days in a cabin at a campground. After researching several area campgrounds I settled on Drummer Boy mainly because of the amenities such as the water slide and mini golf. Unfortunately, at no time in any of my communications prior to our arrival or during check-in were we told that the water slide would not be open! It wasn't until we rode our bikes to the pool with great anticipation that we discovered the slide did not open until later in the season. While making the reservation, I had to indicate that I'd be bringing 2 children; a representative from Drummer Boy even called me to confirm the reservation but never brought it to my attention that the water slide and all campground concessions (except the store) would not be open at that time of the season. Despite this, their high season rates begin Memorial Day weekend. Upon check-out I asked for a discounted rate because the amenities we were interested in were not available however I was rebuffed by a very rude Manager who would not budge on her stance and instead gave me a lot of attitude. We were also yelled at by another staff member for allowing the kids in the hot tub even though the pool was freezing and we were the only ones at the pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Nightwind41
There are newer reviews for Drummer Boy Camping Resort

Reviewed 2 July 2013

We LOVED staying here. Location, great. Landscaping and setting, great. Staff, friendly. Privacy, yes. Cabin size, great. Front porch, perfect. Our only negatives were the beds were HORRIBLE...please change the slats under the mattresses. And, the shower was not very clean when we got there. We used the unused bunk bed mattresses to fortify the full size bed and made it bearable. But, the quiet woods, nice front porch and grill made up for it. We'd go back. I wouldn't stay in the back of the campground though the trees are just not as shady and pretty. The pool in front was very nice.

Room Tip: Stay in the front of the campground, it is shady and landscaped well.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mrsneurotic
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in a cabin for our end of the year scout trip. Cabin smelled brand new, was close to bath house and very clean. Staff was friendly and the girls had a great time. They had fun events going on each night. I enjoyed the hot tub after horseback riding earlier in the day. I would recommend this campground.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We just stayed here over Memorial Day weekend in our travel trailer. Even though we were not a fan of our site we still managed to have a great time! It was rather narrow and was at the top of a steep hill. We had some questions about hook up and the staff even sent someone out pretty quick to assist. Lots to do for kids. The activity pool area was nice. Even had a dance the one night. We went to the pond every day for fishing and the close proximity for Gettysburg tourist stuff was an added bonus.

No major complaints at all. Oh we did pay a lot due to the holiday weekend. But other than than a great family get away camping resort.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cmorris2678
Reviewed 27 May 2013

The campground is limited. The water pressure kept going out. The playground has 12 year old equipment. There is a metal slide and two swings. The staff was very rude. Go cart drivers were below age, and lost control of a cart and could of hurt my children. They almost hit my camper if the picnic table were not there. We went to the recreation center for a craft the staff was rude they indicated they had no mason jars yet there were for on the table so they failed to buy enough supplies. Not well lighted at all. You can hear traffic the trash area is too far from the 500 camp numbers. The pool is small and costly. Store is limited. Staff is rude and not friendly

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Charlotte K
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. It was very clean & well maintained. The sites were a bit narrow & mostly gravel, but deep enough & had greenery throughout. Great pools, although the water slide was closed on Memorial Day. Golf cart rental was fun & helpful to get around the Campground. The road noise from route 15 was initially noticeable, but we got used to it after a while.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Frankly, I don't understand some of the negative reviews of this campground. My wife and I have stayed here around 10 to 12 weekends during the 2012 camping season, and thoroughly enjoyed every week at Drummer Boy, without any negative issues whatsoever. We've interacted with the camp staff at every visit, and by phone, and they have always been extremely friendly and helpful anytime we've talked with them.

We've stayed in the new section of sites, the oldest section of campsites, and those around the edges of the campground. Every time we have been here, the stay has been excellent. The campsites are clean and level and they had good access for our 31 foot travel trailer. The bathhouses/restrooms are also clean and there are many of them through the campground. This campground is large, I'd estimate it is about a mile from end-to-end, with lots of campsites and amenities in between.

During our visits, there have always been fun activities going on - whether that has been activities for the kids (our son is grown and out of the house) or adults. We particularly liked the farmer's market which comes in Saturday mornings to sell their wares. But, during holidays, it has been fun to see the golf-cart decorating contents and parades, or even the trick-or-treating by the younger children (which the campground celebrated for three weekends running!)

There are lots of things to do in the campground; there are two pools, one of which has a large water slide, and the other has an adult-only hot tub area. There is a mini golf course, volley ball courts and playgrounds for the younger children. There is a camp store, with limited grocery items, as well as souvenirs for both Drummer Boy, and relating to nearby Gettysburg. Across from the camp store, is a snack bar, and we've found the items offered there to be excellent and very reasonable priced. (My wife loves the ice cream sundaes.)

On the west edge of the campground near highway 15, you can hear the road noise. I suppose that if you were a tent, it might be somewhat annoying. We didn't have that problem, and generally only heard the traffic when outside the trailer. Firewood is a cost item and available at the camp store, but I've never stayed at a campground where firewood has been provided free of charge, so I don't understand complaints about firewood. This season, the wireless internet which is available all through the campground is free. We used it last season, and it was both reasonably priced and provided good connections for my computer devices.

We especially like to watch the wildlife. We've seen deer running through the campground, and in terms of bird watching, we've been especially pleased to see the Baltimore Orioles and Woodpeckers. I have fished many times in the fishing pond, which is a catch and release pond. The younger children and teenagers seem to really like fishing in the pond.

This campground, unlike others we have stayed at, has ample sized lots. You don't feel cramped or that you are on top of your neighbors. There is a good balance between the number of seasonal campers and those visiting for shorter timeframes. We have found that most everyone has been extremely pleasant, and that is one reason why we became seasonal campers for this (2013) season.

The campground is only minutes away from the battlefields of Gettysburg or the town itself. The local grocery stores (We like Kenny's Market the best) have good food for very good prices.

In summary, we've been very pleased with Drummer Boy. This year, it will be very busy, since it is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War Gettysburg battles, and the area is expecting a three-fold increase in visitors (up from the normal annual 2.1 million visitors to over 6 million!) Be sure to book well in advance if you are going to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple