“Stay elsewhere.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Drummer Boy Camping Resort
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Stay elsewhere.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just returned from a two night stay at this campground and will never return. This "resort" is overpriced with hidden costs. They advertise their activity pool but do not disclose that there is a pricey cost to ride the water slide. The campground is located right off of a very busy interstate, making the atmosphere noisy throughout the day and night. Fortunately we did not have to use the public bathrooms, as the showers appeared dark and dirty. The general store has very little. They advertise a snack bar but we made the mistake of buying breakfast sandwiches there one morning that ended up in the trash. They advertise a mini golf however it also appears run down and was unappealing to our two young children. The only positive was the pool, which was clean and fun for our family. I have never written a review about any other vacation experience but feel the need to inform others about our experience. Please do your research before booking a campsite here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Amy28201

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here on memorial weekend and rented a cottage. We were located up front by the front pool area and close to the snack bar and office. The campground is very large, we had to drive up to the other pool area where they had the slide. It was very nice that weekend and we enjoyed walking around and going to the pools and also snackbar. Our son loved getting Hershey ice cream cones everyday. Our cottage was nice and clean. We enjoyed making a fire in fire pit and roasting marshmallows and using the grill to make chicken kebobs for supper one night. We are locals and this was a 3-night "staycation" for us, it was fun because we had never been there. You do hear some road noise from route 15, but other than that it was pretty quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Suzy S
Maryland
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just got back from our fathers day weekend, we found that the campground was extremely nice we loved the privacy for each campsite. We did end up bringing our golf cart which is insured and was very upset about the hidden cost of a pass $25 that you must have in order to ride around on it, I guess it's because they offer rentals and if you don't rent one from them they find a different way to get a few bucks. The pools were nice as well as both of my boys had a wonderful time there but another hidden cost was the waterslide, my oldest son was so excited about the slide but he ran up to go down the slide (48" or taller) and was told he could go down one time for free and then had to purchase a $10 wristband for the day, I mean come on that's crazy it's just a slide and the water for pete's sake is pool water ! ! To be honest the reason we chose this campground for the weekend was because of the pool and being able to ride the golf cart.....none of these charges were mentioned during our reservation time nor online. Other than that I can't really complain, other than some of the nuts who drove passed our campsite going 50mph or more especially when our children were playing outside. We will definitely go back but next time the kids will have to visit the other pool and we will still pay the $25 for the golf cart fee because the campground is huge but we will still complain about it ;) Anyway I suggest to go and see for yourself ! !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Me and My family went there for an entire summer while moving and it was fun don't get me wrong. The only problem i felt that was an issue was how clean the bathrooms were and the staff. The Staff at the front counter were very kind and helped when there was an issue but the staff that drove around and maintained the resort were self centered. The Pool staff didn't seem to want to talk much and didn't seem happy. The Bathrooms on the other hand were ok but the showers were dirty with hair and bugs, and the toilet stalls were not the most clean ether. Lastly the mini golf area, Not the cleanest but not bad they did an ok job but the green looks a little weathered. Now Some Good Things, I felt the location was nice except for the highway during the day but the view was ok. The pool was clean so no need to worry about that. You can also take a golf cart to ride around on or you can rent one. The resort has a activity schedule for the kids during the summer. all in all I Recommend this place but don't expect it to be perfect.

Room Tip: The Cabins Come in a few sizes depending on the group size. If you get one get one in the Circle the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Darrin C
Pa
Reviewed 5 April 2014

You know, it's really a shame that I have to rate this so low. My family has been going to Drummer Boy for over 15 years. And it used to be great. Actually, the place itself is still REALLY nice (cleanliness-wise), and the staff is nice, but the problem is the prices! They are way too expensive!!!! We hadn't been there for a while so I went on their site to see what was available in the way of cabins. WOW!! What a shock! They are well over $200, and some even over $300, A NIGHT!!! What the heck? For a campground in South Central Pa? Crazy!!

My husband and I have stayed all over in many states and in various campgrounds and cabins and NEVER have come across such high prices for a campground. Heck, we've stayed in beautiful private cottages that were modern with modern appliances, breakfast hand delivered to your door, fireplaces INSIDE and hot tubs for under $250 a night! Some even came on their own private pond to fish from. And we've stayed at places that have tree house cottages for under $100 a night!!! And yet here is DB charging close to $300 a night only to be surrounded by screaming kids and tons of tourists? NO WAY!

I don't live far from DB and always loved going when we could. I even used to get family and friends to come who live hours away. But anymore, over recent years, they've been declining our invitation when we try to get them to come stay there with is. Sadly, no one can afford their prices anymore. And the family members that have kids do NOT like the fact that they charge extra for the water slide and all their activities. They tell me most campgrounds they've gone to have FREE activities for the kids. That they don't charge you for every little craft and things like that. I wouldn't know I have no small kids so I take their word for it. And I believe it since it's been more than one family member/friend that has said this. It's a shame.

I hate to say this but, it may be time to look for a new campground. And that's really a shame.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank CementPond
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Our trip there was in August of 2013. My wife & I won a free night from a drawing at the RV show. When I went to book the stay I found to use it I had to stay 3 nights total. Not a real problem but I should have been told when they called about the winning. We checked in fine and picked site #100. The site was nice and the size was average. This isn't the Drummerboy I remember as a kid or as it was 10 years ago. It's now more of a party camp on the weekends. Our neighbors were rowdy and loud but kept to themselves. The loop we were in isn't on a main road, it's just a loop that goes around a couple sites and back, but the golf carts were constantly driving through. I kept asking my wife if anybody walked in this camp. It's all carts & bikes. Our best time there was after all the weekend partiers went home. I miss the old Drummerboy and won't be coming back to this one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Cubby1965
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was our first time staying at this campground. We reserved a cabin that was to sleep six (one large bed, two sets of bunk beds) but two of our party decided to stay at a hotel in town. It was good that we only had four people because an adult would not be able to get into or sleep comfortably in a top bunk. The bathhouse (#2) was dated but the showers had plenty of hot water. We didn't participate in any of them, but there were a lot of activities for families. The camp store hours were limited, perhaps because it was late in the season. Overall, this wouldn't be our first choice on our next trip to Gettysburg but it was okay.

Room Tip: Try to stay near bathhouse #3 -- it seemed newer than #2
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family