“Nice experience”

Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Gettysburg
Opelika, Alabama
“Nice experience”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Two couples stayed at Gettysburg Hotel April 9-11, 2014 and had a pleasant experience. The hotel is right on the square and is in easy walking distance to all the shops and eateries. Our room was nice and the bed really comfy. We enjoyed the bar and the bartenders. The restaurant was very good especially the breakfast and it was a good value.

The only negative is that there are only two "check in" parking spaces in front and it is difficult to unload luggage there with heavy traffic around the car. Parking is in a municipal garage and is at a cost of $.75 per hour or $10 per day.

The gentleman on the front desk was courteous and very helpful, but the woman there was not helpful and was a bit on the sour side.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the street on lower levels are noisy with traffic and pedestrians.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dagsmimi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

King Jacuzzi Mini-Suite

Pros:
Very comfy bed
HUGE room
Beautiful view of downtown
Great front desk staff
Convenient location
Clean

Cons:
Location = loud street noise
Water was at best tepid during 2 baths and shower taken during stay... Seriously zero hot water
Hallways and elevator smelled terrible
No pay per view or DVD player
No mini fridge
No more free parking

I wanted to love this hotel. Front desk was great, wanted to upgrade my room for free, but someone had just booked the room they were going to give me a few mins prior (if only I checked in on time!). The hallways and elevator smelled stale or of the food that was being made for the meeting that was being held there. This was a bummer since it was such a long walk to my room. The room itself was great! Huge! I could have been doing cartwheels across the room if I wanted to. The bed had plenty of big, supportive yet fluffy pillows. Desk, sitting area, closet, dresser, flat screen... Bathroom was a nice size. Clean. Didn't care for the low window near the toilet that made me feel like everyone could see me naked when I stood up from the toilet or got out of jacuzzi tub. However, I got over that since it was high enough up that they probably couldn't see anything. Overall, the room was great, although for the price I paid, I would have appreciated to have a mini fridge and microwave.

The biggest downfall that will make me not return to this hotel was simply the fact that there was no hot water in my room. I thought maybe it needed some time to warm up since I was all the way at the end of the floor, old plumbing, etc. but that was simply not the case. 1 min - 10 mins of running the water... It just did not get warm. Time of day didn't seem to matter either. 7pm, 7am and 10am, still nothing over lukewarm. Each of these times was a full length shower or bath, not just testing to see if it was okay. My husband actually refused to take a shower there because of the (lack of) water temperature.

Just a heads up, if you are not used to road noise, this may not be the hotel for you. We were on the third floor, and after last call, it sounded like the drunks walking back to their hotels/homes were IN YOUR ROOM. We couldn't hear the neighboring room at all from inside the room, only out in the hallway.

Overall, as nice as some aspects were, I could not stay here again. Not being able to take a hot shower is definitely a deal breaker, and I don't need particularly hot showers to be comfortable. Something that doesn't feel cold against my skin would be nice, though.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Lp808
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Gettysburg Hotel as our daughter will be attending Gettysburg College in the fall. The hotel is a beautifully maintained hotel right in the center of town and within walking distance to the campus. The rooms are spacious, clean, beautifully furnished with a lovely sitting room in the lobby. The food at the restaurant right off the lobby is also wonderful. The only hard part is booking a room around college festivities and other special weekends so you will need to book in advance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Penn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The stay was nice. Room was clean, good shower. The bed was VERY comfortable. The downside was the noise outside the room...not good for sleeping...very loud from traffic-especially 18 wheeler trucks and motorcycles that go through the town as well as loud people partying.

Also, disappointed we didn't see any ghosts!!!!

Room Tip: If I ever stay again, I would request a room along the back and on a higher floor!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Definitely not a destination hotel, but the hotel was clean enough and the people were friendly enough as well. There is no compelling reason to stay here, The location is good but no better then several other options. Truly defines average. For a facility with this heritage it could be so much more.

Room Tip: I doubt any are different.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Wonderful Gettysburg.....ONE of our favorite places to visit.....and we do. We decided this time to stay at the newly renovated Gettysburg Hotel on Lincoln Square. We have stayed there in the past, but it is NOW under new management, and ownership, and was upgraded in ALL aspects. We were disappointed; NEVER thought I would be saying this! We arrived early Friday afternoon for the weekend. We were able to get into our room at that time; that was great considering check-in was not until 4 p.m. and it was only around 12:30. They gave us a room in the rear of the hotel. It was so small, with a tiny window, which was overlooking a roof and the parking garage. We were stunned! This trip was NOT planned at the last minute. We went downstairs to change accomodations and was informed by the woman at the desk that they were ALL sold out, except for a few suites. WE informed her that WE did not ask for a room, such as this, and that we wanted a change. It was early enough in the day. If another woman DID NOT come out from the back office to help us, we would NOT have had the change. She shifted things in the computer and gave us a room overlooking the square. WHY couldn't the first woman do that? This is NOT a cheap hotel. In fact, it is known as the "place to stay in Gettysburg", due to it historical tradition and location. The rooms at this hotel are generally small, unless you get a suite, but you can see the upgrades in decor. The bathroom vanity area is quite small and separated from the bathing area. Bed was comfortable; pillows "hard as a rock"; so, bring your own, unless this is your style. Alarm clock did not work when setting the "wakeup time". Lincoln One Restaurant is nice; prices vary; bar area was always comfortable. Service good. Downstairs renovations....lobby; front sitting room....very nice.
There is a municipal lot in the back of the hotel. It use to be that if you stayed at the hotel, they validated your ticket, and you did not have to pay for parking. Those days are over. That was always a nice touch. It is now $.75/hr, or not more than $10, for a 24 hr. period. You pay on the way out using a kiosk. We had a strange situation when returning to our room on Saturday evening. We found the door open. When we called downstairs to report what we found, we were told that there was a problem on the floor above, and they had to come into our room to check something!! What?? You don't check to see if the door is locked with a lap top sitting on the desk on your way out? This was just NOT an acceptable answer. They said they would contact Housekeeping. Upon checking out the next morning, we mentioned it again, so that future guests would not be alarmed as we were when entering their room, but it was as if they did not know what we were talking about. They mentioned Housekeeping again. I was just not getting their lack of concern with this. Gettysburg is an awesome place to visit over and over again. BUT, we will not be staying at The Gettysburg Hotel again. It has changed. Renovations are wonderful; didn't like the service. There are wonderful places to stay in Gettysburg; most of them are cheaper, and are located with convenience to ALL attractions, including the Battlefield, which is why you came in the first place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Square. It is quite nice; scenic; but, you will hear more traffic at certain...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ECGirll
WHGGuestService, Manager at Gettysburg Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback and comments related to your recent stay with us. I’ve shared a number of your observations with our associates in our ongoing effort to continuously improve the experiences we provide our guests.

Many of the comments you’ve shared with fellow TripAdvisor members will be very helpful. I would like to address a few of the points mentioned in your review in order to provide additional clarity for the TripAdvisor community.

The nearby parking garage used by overnight guests and is owned and operated by the Borough of Gettysburg. Last year, the daily flat fee payment option offered by the Borough was discontinued. Due to this change, our ability to add the flat daily parking fee the room bill was lost. Municipal parking fees are now assessed by hourly usage and paid directly at the municipal garage. Currently, this is the only option for our guests and visitors parking a vehicle in Gettysburg.

I would like to apologize again regarding the unlatched door to your room. The safety and security of our guests and their belongings is among the highest of priorities for us. As you noted, an issue on the floor above yours required our housekeeping associate to enter and verify the condition of your room. Unfortunately a mistake was made during their exit and we are very truly sorry about this. This was certainly not our best moment. Thankfully nothing was disturbed in your room. Something like this is rare, but unfortunately mistakes happen. We have used this experience as a learning opportunity. I’ve addressed this with our team and corrective action has been taken to ensure that a problem like this is not encountered by our future guests.

Again, thank you for your comments and review. I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again during your next visit to Gettysburg.

Chuck Moran,
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Gettysburg Hotel last evening, March 22, 2014. We couldn't have asked for a nicer room, super front desk personnel. My husband recovering from chemotherapy, tired out early in the day and they were kind enough to get us into our room before 4:00. We had dinner in the bar and were entertained by the fantastic bar personnel, e.g. Terry. The only disappointment in the stay was breakfast this morning. The wait was somewhat long to get our food but the waitress did deduct something from our bill. The only suggestion I might give is to not use artificial eggs when making scrambled eggs. They were extremely watery and absolutely no taste to them whatsoever. My husband fared better with the Eggs Benedict. I am of the mind set that if you are going to have scrambled eggs and pay $7-8 dollars, then they should be fresh real eggs. We always love Gettysburg and would definitely go back to that hotel.

Room Tip: We had the room with Jacuzzi and fireplace. It was wonderful.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple