“Top Notch B&B - Personal Service, Excellent Breakfasts, Historical Charm”
Review of Brafferton Inn

Brafferton Inn
Ranked #4 of 23 Gettysburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 July 2007

This B&B is amazing!
I have never stayed at a B&B before and I feel that The Brafferton now holds other B&B's to the highest of standards.

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Brafferton for 5 nights - July 2nd through July 6th... it was our 10 year anniversary. He is 31 and I am 28 years old. He is 6'1 with an athletic build and I am 5'7" and a woman of size. (I am writing this for a reason)

Upon arrival the owner greeted me as if I had been a regular... check in was simple and included a tour of the house with it's great history. The gardens were absolutely beautiful and the house very well appointed. Once we got to our room, I was shocked... (now mind you, we stayed in "The Brafferton Suite" so it was the best room in the B&B)... there was a fridge and microwave, king-size bed with a fireplace, sitting room, tv on a swivel stand so you can watch from the bedroom or the sitting room, a HUGE bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub, separate shower and then a cute deck (no view but great for a smoke or cigar).

After the tour, the owner had given us our breakfast hour choices and then told us all the restaurants that we had chosen, she had made reservations for (How nice is that!) So, basically we were set for our trip... and BTW- the restaurants they recommended, we just went with their suggestions since we have never been to Gettysburg before ---- All the restaurants were GREAT and the variety was just right :-)

The breakfast... WOW! Where do I start... every morning there was something different (they also accommodate allergies and personal reasons i.e. vegetarian)... there are 3 courses which will fill you for your day ahead... something with fresh fruit for the 1st course, a homemade pastry for the 2nd course and then a third course of a heartier type, i.e. french toast with a sweet cream sauce, quiche with feta & eggs and side of sausage, Egg casserole with homemade seasoned potatoes) and the coffee was plentiful and perfect on top of it all!

They also recommended some tours to take... the Shriver house ($6.50 pp/ 30 mins - a great house with a personal look into the lives of the people that lived in Gettysburg and what they had to go through... make sure to ask to see the pictures taken in the attic with the Luminal to see the blood spatter) and the personal tour of the Battlefield ($45.00 / 2+ hours worth every penny - the park guide gets in your car, drives you around the 6,000+ acre battlefield and personalizes the tour for you as you need it... need more military details or just following your personal family history... they are incredibly knowledgeable).

So lastly... location location location... The Brafferton is 1 block from the center of town... you are literally in walking distance to the shops and dining.

So here is some technical info... There are stairs, so it's not handicap friendly. Ceiling is low in one area so watch your head. Bed is sturdy and they have size friendly seating all through the house... I have a bad knee but the Suite is only up one flight and the parking is close to the house. Some stairs are uneven (but that's the way it is all over Gettysburg) so watch your step where-ever you go and hold on to the railings... Some restaurants seats are old and look like they will break beneath you but just be sure to ask the hostess for a size friendly chair... they have them at every restaurant as long as you ask they will provide it... and most of the time it is there before you sit down so there is no embarrassing moments.... some of the tours in the houses also have low ceilings so if you are taller then 5'10" be sure to watch your head... The weather here in PA is mild so walking around is very pleasant, but there is also lots of on street parking even during peak season (like the battle re-enactments) but we were always able to find a spot within a 1 one block radius... the blocks are actually short so an 8 block walk would be like a 6 block walk in a city... so like I said, almost everything is in walking distance but be sure to check out the surrounding towns for dining.

So I guess that's it... I was hoping to make this short but I guess I had more to say then I first thought.... The Brafferton made our trip to Gettysburg just one more reason to come back again... I wouldn't stay at another place... The owners, charm, room and breakfasts made everything just right for a 10 year anniversary trip... THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pina_col

Reviewed 25 June 2007

Stayed mid-June 2007 for a business conference, 1 night. The conference was at the Gettysburg Hotel, a few doors down.

I'm glad I stayed at the Bafferton. It was my first time at a B&B, so I thought "why not"?

The hotel is easy to find, right in center of town. Great locatio for exploring downtown Gettysburg. Hotel history (oldest home in downtown, apparently) was interesting, and some features (like the entry lock) were still from the original.

I was most impressed by the personal attention by the B&B upon check-in. The owner ran out and put in a quarter in the parking meter outside for me when he found out I did not have change. Also, provided a personal tour of the house, with some historical notes.

Room was comfortable, with antique furnishings. Room was clean, and it had both a sitting room and a bedroom (and an outdoor deck, as it was the "deck suite"). Cost seemed reasonable to me ($155 or so/nt). Breakfast was very nice, especially the muffin that was served...I need to get that recipe.

Wireless internet is available in the lobby/living room downstairs, but did not make it up to my room. The loaned me with a cd driving tour of Gettysburg battlefield for free.

I don't have a comparison to other B&B's, but it was a nice change of pace from the standard business hotel fare. It was a place I would definitely take my wife to, if we returned to Gettysburg.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank Goblu
Reviewed 21 May 2007

This is a wonderful Bed and Breakfast! The owners, Brian, AmyBeth and Joan are as good as they get. I travel to Gettysburg several times a year and have stayed in nearly every B&B in Gettysburg, but this is my favorite. In fact, since the first time that I stayed at the Brafferton, approx. 1 1/2 years ago, I haven't stayed anywhere else in Gettysburg. I also travel to Harrisburg, PA, regularly for business, and I still stay at the Brafferton and make the 45 min. drive to Harrisburg from Gettysburg.

As I said, the owners are the best. They really make you feel welcome. The accomodations are lovely, as well as, very clean. Oh, and breakfast, make sure you go to breakfast hungry. The food is delicious and filling. They also make arrangements for those with special dietary needs, and in my case, when I need to leave prior to breakfast to make a meeting in Harrisburg, they also pack a "breakfast to go" bag.

Seriously, traveling anywhere near Gettysburg, this is the place to stay even if it means going out of your way. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank SWPA
Reviewed 18 May 2007

Gettysburg:The Brafferton Inn: "Charming Tranquility!"
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, Mitchellville, Maryland
Kudos to the Brafferton Inn - being welcomed at a home away
from home! Once you've arrived at the Brafferton, you are warmly greeted by the staff and/or the owners. I was taken to Tillie's Room and was quite pleased with the quaintness and decor of
the room. It is located by the garden and the deck, which contains outdoor chairs and tables, and provides a separate
entrance (lock) to the room. The room is very spacious and contains many accessories to accentuate the antique lamps,
huge chest on the floor, brick wall and rugs. The primary colors -
blue and peach - are vividly displayed and creates a calming
atmosphere. Breakfast is one of my favorite items as the scrumptious dishes are served on red and white china that compliment the color scheme of the dining room. Their recipes rival those of any restaurant or gourmet magazine. Brian has ingeniously created mouthwatering dishes that are both luscious and satisfying. I am a single woman and one of my primary concerns is safety/security. The back of the Inn is very close to the public parking garage. Upon entering the back door, which is located in the garage area, a light immediately comes on. After you enter a code, the door immediately opens and you are within the confines of the property. In sum, anyone that stays at this very charming Inn will definitely return, as I will, many times to enjoy its splendid ambiance.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2006

I just found this site and have to say something about our second home, the Brafferton Inn of Gettysburg.

Our first visit to the Brafferton Inn was during March 2005, and the owners had just taken ownership of the Brafferton about two weeks previous. You would have thought they had been in the business forever!

Immediately Joan, Brian, and Amy Beth made us feel right at home. Got us into our room for the weekend and showed us around their historic home, we felt immediately like we knew these people all of our lives after about only five minutes.

My first thoughts of the Brafferton Inn go back to a phone call I made, asking directions to the Inn (I hate map quest). I remember calling the Inn and Brian answering the phone. Brian took care of every detail of our stay, including parking, dinner reservations, and a private guided tour of the battlefield for me and my wife.

Wake up at the Brafferton to a wonderful 5 star breakfast; if you are lucky you just might have one of my personal favorites, the crab and asparagus quiche. My wife and I have been back to the Brafferton many, many time since our maiden stay, and each time have been wonderfully taken care of and enjoyed a lovely and different breakfast with each stay.

Joan and Brian work magic in their kitchen, you will enjoy home made pastries, fruit dishes, and an entrée that is just out of this world. Not to mention, of course, the bottomless glass of orange juice and the bottomless cup of coffee!

Make certain you take a guided tour of the battlefield at least once while you stay at the Brafferton Inn; your Innkeepers will arrange for you, your own personal Pennsylvania state licensed battlefield tour guide. Your tour will begin right at the Brafferton and bring you back to the Brafferton after about a two and a half hour tour (time might vary according to the amount of questions you have for your guide). If memory serves me correct, I believe there are something like 1387 monuments in the battlefield; the biggest being the Pennsylvania monument. See what you can bring away from your tour.

Joan makes the most wonderful cookies I have ever tasted and she secretly assures me there are no calories in her cookies. So, I eat as many of Joan’s cookies as I can with every stay at the Brafferton. At three o’clock have some fresh home made cookies with either coffee or tea; what a great way to whet your palate for dinner.

Make sure you ask Joan or Brian or Amy Beth to handle your dinner arrangements; there are many wonderful restaurants in the area and I can say with some degree of certainty that either Joan or Brian or Amy Beth have eaten in or have recommendations for all the finer eateries in Gettysburg.

After dinner, come back and relax in the comfort of your room. My wife and I have stayed in all of the rooms at the Brafferton with exception of maybe two or three. All the rooms are plush and well kept. Of all the many rooms, it is hard to pick a favorite as each can be a favorite in its own unique way; I have many favorites from the Nook, to the Deck Room, and of course the Brafferton Room. Ask to see all the rooms, if not occupied you will be welcomed to tour.
Joan is the interior decorator of all rooms; ask her about her décor….you will enjoy hearing how Joan decides what to do with each room. By the way, Joan also does all the holiday decorations; speaking of holidays, stand just outside the Brafferton for Gettysburg’s Christmas Parade and have a front row view of all the floats, what a wonderful Christmas treat.

We love the Brafferton, and its owners have become dear, dear friends. Let me share with you some of the special events which my wife and I have enjoyed at the Brafferton.

•Maiden stay March 2005.
•Rolling chrome, weekend after July 4th, 2005 and 2006.
•Our son’s (David) 24th birthday (2 November 2005) was celebrated over Halloween weekend 2005…….Halloween night David got down on his knee for Jennifer and proposed during a ghost tour. Their wedding is 4 November 2006…hey, that is next weekend! Ask me sometime about the proposal, it was really funny and unexpected.
•Brian and Amy Beth’s half anniversary.
•Wine and cheese for all on Thanksgiving 2005.
•22 August 2006 my wife of 25 years and I renewed our wedding vows at the Brafferton and two days later left for a week in Cancun.

I promise you will fall in love with the Brafferton Inn, the Innkeepers, and Gettysburg PA; you might even want to go back for a repeat visit; we did.

By the way, my name is Dave, my wife is Honey; email us at dvesser@adelphia.net and we will be happy to tell you about our very many happy and cherished memories revolving around the greatest Inn in America; the Brafferton Inn, its Innkeepers, and the surroundings. You might even convince us to talk a little about our favorite innkeepers on this planet. Good luck getting there and you will have the greatest time in your life.

Thanks for all the many warm and wonderful happy memories we have shared together at the Brafferton; we love you all and deeply cherish the moments we have together at the Brafferton Inn; God Bless.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank macmarine
Reviewed 20 October 2006

We stayed at the Brafferton Inn on Oct 14 & 15, 2006. It was a birthday weekend for my boyfriend, a history buff. The location was ideal - walking distance to everything in town. We were warmly greeted when we arrived and found the innkeepers to be very friendly. They provided us with a CD that contained a driving tour of the battlefield that was excellent. We found the breakfast to be just OK. The pastries were great, but the apple cinnamon french toast was soggy.

We did have some issues with our stay, however. We stayed in "Dorothy's Hideaway" which was a nice, comfortable room with a large, remodeled bath that contained a jacuzzi tub. Our room had a 'in the wall' heating and cooling unit. As the temps were in the 30s at night, we used the unit to heat the room. It was extemely loud and woke me up every time it turned on. On our second night, we were abruptly awoken by the smoke detector in our room. Once we determined that there was not a fire, we determined that the heating unit was emiting a terrible smoky smell (think about 200 hairdryers blowing up at once). We left the room to call the innkeepers and let them know what happened (this was approximately 5am) as we were concerened that other guests would have heard the smoke detector. The innkeepers did not apologize for the situation and just asked us to turn off the unit. After returning to the room, we discovered that the filter on the heating unit was extremely clogged (which probably caused the terrible smell).

We finally fell back asleep around 7:30am and thus slept through breakfast. We rushed to check out by 11am. The innkeepers only offered us a 30% discount on a future stay. I was honestly too tired and too eager to find some breakfast to protest this offer as it really didn't make up for our experience. Overall, we enjoyed the trip to Gettysburg, but I was unhappy with the way the situation was handled.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
10  Thank DCTraveler17
Reviewed 16 October 2006

We just got back from two nights at the Brafferton Inn. (October 14th and 15th, 2006). What a wonderful experience.

My wife and I were looking for a nice, relaxing getaway to celebrate our anniversary and this proved to be a great decision. As other reviews have said, the Hodges are very welcoming and gave us a tour before showing us our rooms. When we had questions they were there. We also attended an attraction that they were unfamilar with and they wanted to know our opinion so they could tell their future guests.

The parking in the back was not an inconvenience so dont even worry about that.

We ate at many restaurants in Gettysburg and we both agreed that the breakfast that we had at the inn were the highlights of our food experience. Creative, imaginative and delicious. The perfect way to start off the day.

They had many books in the sitting room and we had the pleasure of talking with one of their other guests for quite a while.

We were in another local bed and breakfast buying tickets for a tour of that house--while we were there, a couple checked in and they were treated like a business transaction (unfriendly)-Meanwhile at the Brafferton, everyone was welcomed with a smile like a family guest.

DEFINATELY WOULD RECOMMEND STAYING HERE!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple